shape
carat
color
clarity

Buying vs having a dress made

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Officers girl

Shiny_Rock
Did any of you all ever have a dress made as opposed to buying one? Every time I go and try on dresses its like I like part of this one and that one but never the whole thing. Is it cost effective to go to a seamstress? Or is this just a bizzaro idea
41.gif

poptart

Brilliant_Rock
I didn''t have my dress made, but sometimes you just have to try on a LOT of dresses before you really find one. I think there are a few on here that did have their dresses made and found it was an ok way to go. On the other hand, there is another lady on this thread who had a handmade dress and it didn''t turn out too well, so that said, you have to be careful in who you choose. If you are really thinking about it, I would call around locally and get some quotes so that you know exactly what ballpark you are going to be playing in. I think for the most part the labor of making the dress is what is so costly.

PS... WELCOME!!

*M*

Officers girl

Shiny_Rock
Date: 1/16/2007 11:05:58 PM
Author: poptart
I didn''t have my dress made, but sometimes you just have to try on a LOT of dresses before you really find one. I think there are a few on here that did have their dresses made and found it was an ok way to go. On the other hand, there is another lady on this thread who had a handmade dress and it didn''t turn out too well, so that said, you have to be careful in who you choose. If you are really thinking about it, I would call around locally and get some quotes so that you know exactly what ballpark you are going to be playing in. I think for the most part the labor of making the dress is what is so costly.

PS... WELCOME!!

*M*

I am probably like the pickiest person ever and the fear of getting a gown made and then seeing the finished product fall short would be devastating, Who would have a good seamstress? I wonder if I can just ask the bridal shops if they know of any hmmm..

PS thanks for the welcome :)

poptart

Brilliant_Rock
Bridal shops would be a great place to start because they have to send dresses out to the seamstress in order to get them altered. I''m picky too, and trying on dresses turned more into torture than anything else. You can only put HUGE amounts of satin on yourself so many times before it gets old, ya know? Seamstresses might also just be listed in the phonebook. Oh! Make sure that somehow you get recommendations saying that they do reputable work, as in asking if they have former clients whom you could contact and verify that they do good work.

*M*

San Diego Bride

Shiny_Rock
i am extremely lucky to have a mom who is an incredibly talented seamstress. she made my wedding dress (there are pictures here somewhere). i tried on a bunch of dresses and had the same experience you described... i wanted this part of one, that part of another. i told my mom what i wanted, bought the fabric, mailed it to her a couple thousand miles away and she did the rest. i realize i was incredibly lucky.

if you are going to find a seamstress to make a dress i would make sure you see a few completed dresses in person. check out the craftsmanship, the seams, zippers, buttons, etc. then check out his/her references. i think it can be incredibly worth it, but it will probably be a challenge to find the right person to do it.

EmmyClaire

Rough_Rock
This is on the same topic...has anyone checked out this website? www.bargain-bride.com

It looks legit, but I don''t know if I could trust it...600+ for a gown that is designer-inspired seems pretty remarkable to me. If you do order from them, however, you can''t return/exchange it. What do you guys think? Would you trust it?

Officers girl

Shiny_Rock
Date: 1/19/2007 9:05:40 PM
Author: EmmyClaire
This is on the same topic...has anyone checked out this website? www.bargain-bride.com

It looks legit, but I don''t know if I could trust it...600+ for a gown that is designer-inspired seems pretty remarkable to me. If you do order from them, however, you can''t return/exchange it. What do you guys think? Would you trust it?
I wouldnt usually any place that doesnt offer a return or exchange usually does so because they cant stand behind their product!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results