shape
carat
color
clarity

Buying soon...advice please.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

ringbuyer1

Rough_Rock
I am new to this site and the internet too. My gf and I have been looking at diamonds for a few months now and I think we''ll be buying this month. I want to get her something she liked, so I''ve let her be totally involved in the process (actually she has done most of the work). She the one that has learned about diamonds and although she has tried to pass it on to me, I admit I''m leaving it to her.

We''ve been to a few places and I think we''ve decided where to buy. What I know is (I have this written down) - for her - cut is most important and she wants a ring with a GIA paper. Based on where we live it is hard to find a GIA paper. On Wednesday, we found a local place where we can get a GIA paper and the cost is actually less than some of the diamonds we''ve seen with other papers.

The issue - this is a diamond broker. We like the broker and we''ve been told if we get the diamond in and don''t like it, we don''t have to take it. It will be sent back and we can get another one. We are looking at G-H, likely VS2 stones (although we were told SI1 is okay, she''d prefer VS2). This broker has said with GIA he rarely has a problem, but with EGL it would more likely have to be sent back.

Does this sound reasonable? Any red flags. He is going to send us 3 or 4 certs. of stones in the range we are looking for.

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
GIA or AGS is fine.

Have the reports sent to you. Then plug into HCA or post report details in Rocky Talky.

View green-lighted stones.

Choose one.

Sound good?

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You must be careful because a broker isn''t necessarily going to give you a better deal. We see that on here from time to time. Many of us have found reliable vendors with excellent diamonds and the best prices online.

However, if you go forward with this broker, insist on only looking at GIA Excellent cut (or AGS0).
Look for tables of around 54-57, depth 60-62, crown angles 34-35, thin/medium/slightly thick for the girdle, and very good or excellent for polish and symmetry.

If you stay within those parameters, you should be in pretty good shape. Then, you should use the price search tool on this site and compare the prices of similar diamonds to be sure you aren''t paying too much. Good luck!

ringbuyer1

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the advice. I should be getting copies of the reports likely tomorrow so I''ll post the info when I get it.

Regarding pictures - can you ask a diamond broker to get a picture of the stone from the seller or is that just something that is not done. Do you just wait to see the stone when it arrives and go from there?

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You can ask. Depends on the relationship your retailer has with his supplier.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results