shape
carat
color
clarity

Buying diamond for my girlfriends ring! Need advise!

Diamondhk

Rough_Rock
Hi. Im looking at purchasing a diamond for my girlfriends ring. I have aready purchased a pave french cut setting. Since she wants something big, and im working with a budget, im looking for H/I color, VS1/VS2 clarity stone around 2 cts.

I came across ID Jewelry online and was wondering if anyone has purchased diamonds from them. Their prices seem to be lower than any of the online websites and they seem to be popular on here for settings, but would love to know what peoples experiences have been like with making a diamond purchase with them.

Below is the info for the stone that i am interested in, and would love to know what you all think about the price and if it seems ligit before i go in. TIA!

Report Type: EGL I
Diamond Shape: round brilliant
Carat: 1.92
Color: H
Clarity: VS2
Cut: Excellent
Polish: Excellent
Symmetry: Excellent
Measurements: 7.91-7.96 x 4.99
Depth percentage: 62.90
Table: 55
Gridle: To medium
Cutlet: none
Flourescence:
Certificate Number: 3106488535
Price: little over $10,000

http://idjewelryonline.com/diamond_details1.php?id=32727231&shape=B&pricefrom=0&priceto=500000&caratfrom=1.7&caratto=10.00&colorfrom=D&colorto=I&clarfrom=IF&clarto=VS2&polish=ANY&cert=Any&symmetry=ANY&depthfrom=&depthto=&tablefrom=&tableto=&cut=Array&item_id=

Ryanrex

Rough_Rock
I think the reason that diamond is cheap, well not cheap but budget friendly, is because of the EGL cert rather than GIA or AGS. I've found that diamond are usually several thousands cheaper when they have EGL certs. You can do a lot of reading about this but really EGl is quite lenient on their grading and when it really comes down to it, your not getting the diamond you think you are...

slg47

Ideal_Rock
if that stone were graded by GIA it would probably not be H/VS2...that is why the price is so low. many PSers have worked with ID Jewelry before, I would call them and tell them you are on PS! Or if you want us to do some searching for you, post your budget and we can try to find some good candidates.

One way to make the ring appear larger/blingier is to go with a halo setting...does your GF like halos?

Diamondhk

Rough_Rock
Thank you so much. I would like to keep the diamond around 10k and wanted it to be between 1.7-2 cts and H/i VS1/VS2.

I did look into the halo settings but didnot care much for them. She has small hands so i got her a delicate french cut pave setting with a 2mm width. Since the setting is delicate i think it will draw all the focus to the diamond, which i like. :)

slg47

Ideal_Rock
did you already purchase the setting? what size stone will it fit?

Diamondhk

Rough_Rock
Yes. I purchased the setting from adiamor.com. It fits a 7.4 to 8 mm round setting. Atleast thats what they told me.

slg47

Ideal_Rock
we generally recommend purchasing the center stone first so you can ensure the diamond fits the setting. I do not think your budget is adequate to get a 1.7 ct H/I VS clarity well cut stone.

Diamondhk

Rough_Rock
Damn. Really? What do you think would be the best size i would be able to work in my budget? The color and clarity are important to me. I would not want to compromise on those.

swingirl

Ideal_Rock
If your budget for a diamond is $10k and you don't want to compromise color or clarity my guess is you can get a 1.2--1.4 ct stone, which would be small for your setting. Maybe you should return the setting until you find the stone.

Ryanrex

Rough_Rock
If you want to keep it in your quality range and fit the setting you have, you'd be looking at around $14,000. Anything less and you have to make some serious sacrifices as far as cut and color are concerned

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
10K... you might be able to find something pre-owned. I would call Good Old Gold and ask Jonathan about his consignments ... he gets some very good quality pieces in so you never know. Pearlmans is another to try.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This may be your best bet for an ideal cut stone (if you can bump up your budget just a little) because it is basically 1.5 cts. but you get the benefit of it falling just below the 1.5 level where there is a bump up in price:

http://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-2673407.htm

An EGL H or I color can easily be J or K if graded by GIA or AGS. So if color is important, you should stick to GIA or AGS.

I'd return that setting if you can. It really is important to buy the diamond first, and then you can try to find a setting through that vendor because then they will take responsibility for the stone during setting.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results