shape
carat
color
clarity

Buying Correctly Sized Ring vs. Cheaper Ring and Resizing

xphrellis

Rough_Rock
Hi guys,

I'm looking at buying a ring and found something interesting in the range of prices for the ring I'm considering:
  • Size 8.5 (my size): 100% (reference)
  • Size 9: 49% (of reference)

I'm comparing these two options:
  • Buy the correctly-sized ring at full price
  • Buying the larger ring and having it resized. Including the cost of resizing, this option is still significantly lower than the full price

Am I risking anything in terms of quality or other factors in having the ring resized?

Thanks!
Chris

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Re: Buying Correctly Sized Ring vs. Cheaper Ring and Resizin

If you're talking sizing down only a half size, you should be fine (unless it is a full eternity-style design).

And, it is possible the size 9 will fit you fine, depending on the actual ring you receive and whether or not you plan to wear a wedding band with it.

Are both ring sizes available from the same vendor, or two different vendors? If different vendors, are you certain you are comparing the same exact ring setting? Are the return/customer service policies similar?

xphrellis

Rough_Rock

Yes, everything is the same - same vendor, same ring.

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

For most ring styles, 1/2 size should present no problems. That assumes a couple of things - that the ring hasn't been significantly re-sized before, and that there's nothing about the ring style that would cause re-sizing issues.

Some name brand rings come with warranties that might be voided if you allow a local jeweler to do any work on them, including re-sizing. This might become an issue if a ring has pave stones, for example, that might come loose and need to be repaired under warranty. Do you have a picture or style number that you can share?

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

If the shank has pave or channel set stones. No.

If the shank is plain, sure why not.

Sphene

Brilliant_Rock

Why are you even asking the question the 9 will fit you anyway and you might not even require a sizing ball to be added some rings size up small - I must be very lucky I can wear any size from 5 to 7.5 on the one finger they all stay on just fine

ringo865

Ideal_Rock
Premium

You could ask the seller if they'll sell you the 8.5 at the same price as the 9 that they're also selling. ?

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade

90% of the time, sizing down a half a size is an easy job. The problem here is that we don't know if you're part of that or you're part of the other 10%. What does the jeweler have to say? Are they offering to size it or are they asking you to go somewhere else for that?

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Show us a picture of the ring!

As for sizing, you might want to wait till the summer to account for any summer swelling before sizing any ring.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results