shape
carat
color
clarity

buying an oval cut

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Subtle3

Rough_Rock
Looking for a ring for 10th anniversary. I thought I wanted an oval cut until I read everything on your site. I want something envious without going bankrupt. I almost bought a ring earlier and decided to still think about it and do some research I came upon your site. Thank-you for being here! The ring I am thinking about is oval/brillant cut, 1.52ct, depth 56.20%,table 58.00%,crown 12.40, pavilion 39.80 measurements 9.33x6.55x3.68 color G clarity SI3, flo.is faint, sym good, polish good,culet none,girdle thin to very thick, it has a EGL report.
Thank-you Again!
P.S The store says it is giving me a discount price of 6777.00

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
Subtle3 hi and thanks
smile.gif
Sorry didn't respond earlier - you are from west cost while I'm in the EST zone.
smile.gif
$6777 - is it only for the diamond or for the whole settings?There are a few things you might want to pay attention. First of all: EGL report and SI3 clarity. Check this thread: www.pricescope.com/ubb/Forum1/HTML/000189.html You have to realize that most probably GIA would grade this stone as I and there are inclusions visible with the naked eye. EGL reports are less consistent than GIA. Diamonds with EGL reports cost less then similar stones with GIA reports. Thus you better have to check the stone with independent expert.Another thing is that the stone is little shallow (56.2% total depth) and partially very thick girdle that makes it 3A AGA cut grade.Unfortunately, evaluation of the cut quality for the fancies is more difficult based on measurements only. So the best advise would be to check the stone yourself or with an expert. Make sure not to have very strong bow-tie effect. (See last Lawmax post in this thread: www.pricescope.com/ubb/Forum1/HTML/000130.html )Price - just for indication.These diamonds are listed in the web:1. EGL graded:1.53 G SI2 59% 60% vtn-tk f gd gd 8.85X6.66X3.93 $54172. GIA graded:
1.55 G SI2 58.7% 56% 8.72X6.82X4.00 $7245As you can see price between EGL and GIA graded diamonds is significant.Hope it helps,
smile.gif
L.

Subtle3

Rough_Rock
It comes with the EGL that says replacement value is 12,700. Which even to an unknowledgable person as myself seems way off the mark. The return policy is what made me hold off on the purchase in the first place and sent me a red flag. There is only a 3 day return policy. At first I thought the price was too good, after the intial excitement of finding what I thought may be a great deal, I knew I probably needed to do some research as I have not purchased a Diamond before. To the naked eye the diamond does look fine, but I really didn't have a clue what to look for either. Thanks Again,
Suzanne

lawmax

Brilliant_Rock
Hi Suzanne,I would like to gently suggest that you travel to the nearest fine jewelry store with the ability to show you some really beautiful loose diamonds. You may be surprised to see just how beautiful a well-cut diamond can look. Try to see some with good AGA cut parameters and ask if you can see them in natural lighting.
http://www.pricescope.com/tutor_fnc3.asp I suspect that if you bought this ring, you would end up being quite unhappy with it. You may want to consider coming down in size and up in quality.In general, you usually get what you pay for. If this dealer could sell the diamond for more, he/she probably would.I hope this is helpful,lawmax
smile.gif

Subtle3

Rough_Rock
Actually, I did find all the info on the site. Thanks. Yes the ring does come in the setting, it also has two very small round diamonds tw .22.it weighs 3.4 grams. Although the ring does look beautiful. But according to everything I read on this site and thank god for this site.I think I probably need to forget this ring and keep on shopping. Thank-you so much for your reply!

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
Hey Lawmax,
smile.gif
of course you're helpful (for me at least
smile.gif
)

Subtle3

Rough_Rock
Thanks for all the wonderful help and info!
I went to three Jewelry stores today, only one had an oval 3/4 carat. I think I need to make a trip to SF. But those guys there can be vultures. There is a private jeweler I might check out, but as you know with kids and all finding the time can be somewhat difficult. I will keep working at it.
Thank-you Again

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
Subtle3,Don't consider my words as discourage. I just wanted to point out the possible problems. If you like the stone and ring and don't care about some visible inclusions (btw could you see them?), that might be a good find. You just need to verify the EGL report with independent expert (appraiser) and get a solid statement of the return/exchange policy from your vendor.

Subtle3

Rough_Rock
This particular ring is at auction. I was told the price beforehand. I wasn't discouraged by you, I do want a good diamond,
you have really helped me.actually here is the site to look at it http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=567943031
I actually went and looked at the regular stores today and couldn't find anything even close and ended up only being able to look at a round that was 1.6 for 5999.00
Thanks Again,
Suzanne

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
Subtle3, don't worry and stay calm. As more you learn as easier it'll be for you to deal with vultures
smile.gif

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
Suzanne, you are right if appraisal/replacement value exceeds the sales price very much there is something wrong with it.Could your vendor let you show the ring to independent appraisal?There is another thing you might want to consider: it is safer to select and check loose stone first because mounted stone is more difficult to examine. After you find the lose diamond you wanted and you can get it mounted.

Subtle3

Rough_Rock
Actually I really am thankful for this site.
Maurice is helping with a ring. I hate the idea of going to the city. We have a jewelry mart there, the deals are incredible but the thirty or so dealers via for your business. The last time I went was to get a special braclet and ring for my baby girl who is now 6. I am definately more educated now. due to this site, it has more info than any other site I have found. as I want the ring I do eventually purchase to be one I can pass down to one of my daughters, of course they think I should by three...laugh and the youngest thinks we should go to disney instead.(she is 3) I hope I find the ring of my dreams that satisfies both myself and hubby without hocking the kids. Thanks again,
Suzanne

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
Subtle3, thank you for sharing it with us
smile.gif
Good luck and let us know how it went out.L.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results