shape
carat
color
clarity

Buying a watch, looking for help...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

oneandahalfrock

Shiny_Rock
Hello ladies and gentlemen,
I was looking for a little help over here. I was going to get a watch as a gift for a friend, I have a budget of around $200 and I was trying to get something nice. LOL, I know, I sound like I''m in 5th grade.
I made the mistake of going to overstock.com and ordering a "Stuhrling Original Symphony Men''s Skeleton Automatic Watch". Forgive me, I was totally ignorant, and after placing the order (doh!) I did some googling and it looks like they''re a ''wanna-be'' watch brand.
Can anyone make any good suggestions? Good brands, places to buy from, etc...
I know I''m on a limited budget, but I''d much rather have a good brand than a luxury wanna be.
Any suggestions would be AWESOME!
Thanks so much! :D
Oh, and stupid side note- I think skeleton watches look super cool- I just love being able to see the gears- it''s almost hypnotic
2.gif
so bonus points if someone can make a good suggestion in that style.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/1/2009 6:03:32 PM
Author:oneandahalfrock
Hello ladies and gentlemen,
I was looking for a little help over here. I was going to get a watch as a gift for a friend, I have a budget of around $200 and I was trying to get something nice. LOL, I know, I sound like I''m in 5th grade.
I made the mistake of going to overstock.com and ordering a ''Stuhrling Original Symphony Men''s Skeleton Automatic Watch''. Forgive me, I was totally ignorant, and after placing the order (doh!) I did some googling and it looks like they''re a ''wanna-be'' watch brand.
Can anyone make any good suggestions? Good brands, places to buy from, etc...
I know I''m on a limited budget, but I''d much rather have a good brand than a luxury wanna be.
Any suggestions would be AWESOME!
Thanks so much! :D
Oh, and stupid side note- I think skeleton watches look super cool- I just love being able to see the gears- it''s almost hypnotic
2.gif
so bonus points if someone can make a good suggestion in that style.
Invicta

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I agree with DF...Invicta is the credited response for your price range.

vespergirl

Ideal_Rock
I bought my husband a Wenger chronograph from Costco from Xmas for $160 (he picked it out at the store) and he loves it & gets tons of compliments on it. I think it was originally around $400 but we got it on sale. It looks like a Swiss Army (I think it''s actually the same brand, Wenger is just their less expensive line).

oneandahalfrock

Shiny_Rock
Thanks all!
LOL, so someone has to tell me, and I promise I won't be hurt- did I buy the watch equivalent of a 'Goach' bag when I got the first one from OverStock?
I ended up ordering an 'Armitron 20-4406GPSV MEN'S SILVER TONE DRESS WATCH' from xcelwatches.com
Another friend of mine has the same one, but with a blue face. What can I say, I'm ignorant on the subject- I just got it because it was a really nice looking watch. I think it's so neat to be able to watch all the gears move. and if I made a terrible choice on that one, let me know.
The overstock.com can go back no problem, if the Aritron can't, I have a younger brother with a birthday in a few weeks
11.gif

I'd love to hear some response ;-)

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/2/2009 12:44:19 AM
Author: oneandahalfrock
Thanks all!
LOL, so someone has to tell me, and I promise I won''t be hurt- did I buy the watch equivalent of a ''Goach'' bag when I got the first one from OverStock?
I ended up ordering an ''Armitron 20-4406GPSV MEN''S SILVER TONE DRESS WATCH'' from xcelwatches.com
Another friend of mine has the same one, but with a blue face. What can I say, I''m ignorant on the subject- I just got it because it was a really nice looking watch. I think it''s so neat to be able to watch all the gears move. and if I made a terrible choice on that one, let me know.
The overstock.com can go back no problem, if the Aritron can''t, I have a younger brother with a birthday in a few weeks
11.gif

I''d love to hear some response ;-)
2.gif
this is the back side of my avatar.

axzq.JPG

oneandahalfrock

Shiny_Rock
Wow- thanks really pretty :D
Here is a pic of what I ended up ordering... any thoughts on the brand?
it was way under budget, but like I said, a friend has one and I thought it was quite nice...

Watch8273.jpg

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Unique looking watch, I like it!

AmberGretchen

Ideal_Rock
So glad you found one you are happy with
1.gif

In that price range, I like Skagen watches (but that has to be your style - they are very sleek and minimalist), and, my most recent acquisition, a Tissot, which is very simple but (IMO) very pretty.
1.gif

oneandahalfrock

Shiny_Rock
The only question I have left is, "Is Stuhrling Original that bad a brand name or did I over react to someone else''s opinion?"
I''m just curious because the other watch was very nice looking too and seemed to have got great reviews from everyone who bought it. Even their website looked great until I found out they only sell through overstock and ShopNBC...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results