shape
carat
color
clarity

Buying a loupe

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

manhattan01

Rough_Rock
Where''s the best place to get a loupe? I''m thinking Ebay only cause I don''t know where else I''d go. Are there better loupes than others? I''m thinking of a 30x. Thanks!

-spencer

elmo

Brilliant_Rock
Furthermore is right, stick with 10x. I haven't seen even a 20x that's really usable - image is not very bright and it's hard for me to hold my hand steady enough with higher magnification.

If you search here and at diamondtalk instead of searching the world at google
1.gif
, there are several good recommendations for folks looking for loupes. Garry and Dave Atlas's little $35 plastic one probably deserves special consideration 'cause if they say it's good I tend to believe them
1.gif

manhattan01

Rough_Rock
Hey, thanks guys! 10x loupe it is...and I did a search on google before posting my original question...and furthermore was right, there's tonnes of them out there. I just didn't know if some were better than others. I'll do a search here and on DT for some places first. Of course, there is an Ebay auction for a gemscope.
2.gif

-spencer

scope.jpg

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
You heard about the guy who liked the razor and bought the comapny? I could not afford the company but after not being able to replace the dozen of these loupes i bought 8 years earlier (for my staff and friends), I bought out all the stock.
http://www.ideal-scope.com/order.asp they are a steal at $35
1.gif

I found the supplier when we were looking for a lens for the $120 Ideal-scope.

manhattan01

Rough_Rock
Thanks Garry!

I was looking at the idealscope (and other loupes) but was wondering, can I use these devices EFFECTIVELY if the stone is already mounted? Thanks!

-spencer

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Sure can - there is a section on www.ideal-scope.com on how to get light into the back of the set diamond - and beware of clarity marks under prongs etc when using the loupe
1.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results