shape
carat
color
clarity

Buying a diamond: Is this bad etiquette?

ChloeTheGreat

Brilliant_Rock
So...BF and I are planning to buy a diamond very soon (within the next few days) and get engaged sometime toward the end of June.
I have found what I think will be *the* diamond online (haven't seen it in person yet) and don't want to miss out on the chance to buy it before it gets snatched up.

I have been emailing with Vendor A to ask various questions about setting options, etc. and have requested some further information about a couple of diamonds (not specifically THE diamond I am interested in) and have let Vendor A know I hope to be able to come view a stone/stones in person and discuss the setting very soon. I 100% will purchase the setting from this vendor. I have budgeted for the diamond, the setting, and sales tax.

However...the diamond I want is available on the online inventory through Vendor B. Vendor B would NOT charge sales tax on the diamond purchase due to their location. This could save us several hundred dollars. Vendor B offers what seems to be a good return policy in case I get the diamond and am unsatisfied with it.

My question is: Is it bad etiquette if I purchase from Vendor B to avoid sales tax and continue to work with Vendor A on the setting? Will Vendor A be "offended" if I don't purchase the stone from them even though they have been very helpful in answering my questions?

I wouldn't want to impede a good relationship and pleasant design process with the vendor I am buying the setting from.

Thanks for your input!

minmin001

Ideal_Rock
vendors don't have problem just set your stone in their setting. Normally they charge a setting fee if you don't buy the diamond from them which is around $125-150. You should check and make sure

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
If it is a virtual stone, Vendor A has no particular ownership of the stone and likely doesn't even really *know* the stone. If you buy it from Vendor B and then go back to Vendor A to set it, I doubt they will even know that you could have bought it from them, if you do not bring it up.

That said, if you buy it elsewhere you will want insurance for it during the setting process. You can get a stand alone policy from JM if you want, that will cover the diamond during setting. Vendor A would cover the diamond against damage if you buy from them.

You could also tell Vendor A you want to buy stone X, and see if they can lower their price a little to make up for the sales tax. I doubt that they can match the savings, with margins on virtual stones being really low, like sub-5% at times, but it could make it closer in price and thus more appealing to work with Vendor A.

NITE: *Technically* you have to pay sales tax if you import your stone from another state. Just an FYI ;))

ChloeTheGreat

Brilliant_Rock
Dreamer_D, thanks for your response. That's helpful and now I have more to consider with insurance, etc. How will the vendor charge me sales tax if their website specifically says there is no sales tax for my location? Do you mean it will somehow be reflected in the price anyway?

Lew Lew

Shiny_Rock
Trade
ChloeTheGreat|1306788595|2933901 said:
Dreamer_D, thanks for your response. That's helpful and now I have more to consider with insurance, etc. How will the vendor charge me sales tax if their website specifically says there is no sales tax for my location? Do you mean it will somehow be reflected in the price anyway?

This article is helpful regarding sales and use tax: https://www.pricescope.com/journal/internet_and_sales_tax_free_ride_or_not/

ChloeTheGreat

Brilliant_Rock
Lew Lew, thanks for the link! That was helpful!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results