shape
carat
color
clarity

buy future kid''s clothes?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

sunkist

Ideal_Rock
Someone mentioned this briefly in another thread, so I thought maybe I''m not so wierd after all...! Has anyone ever bought clothes or thought of buying them for your future children? I''m not even engaged yet, but I saw the cutest little girls Mandarin style outfit! Since my future children are going to be half Chinese I think this would be the cutest ever
5.gif
Am I too wierd if I buy this??

asianideas_1884_9131523.jpg

eks6426

Ideal_Rock
I''m thinking you might freak your fiance-to-be out a bit if he knows you buy this. If you do, keep it at your parent''s house so he doesn''t find it.

jetmal

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I''m on the supersiticious side.....so no, I would not buy kids clothing ahead of time. Its like counting your chickens before they hatch. Just my opionion.

Logan Sapphire

Ideal_Rock
I''ve bought baby items and we''re nowhere near having kids. I bought a pair of rabbit booties that were too cute to pass up and a teddy bear. My husband was with me both times, and I think he was fine with it b/c he wants kids sooner and more than I do.

SoonIHope

Ideal_Rock
I think about this ALL THE TIME!!! There''s one teeny little girl dress hanging in a store on my walk from work to the subway that I pass every day and more than once I have paused and thought, "is today the day?" We''re at least 5 or 6 (or 7...) years away from having kids, but I really think I''m going to have to buy this dress before long because it''ll get sold out!! My fiance will get freaked out I''m sure, but we talk about how we really want kids (just not NOW) so I think he''ll be okay, more just think I''m being silly. But I think the thing that is holding me back is mostly the idea of jinxing it. I don''t want to buy the dress and then not have a girl, or worse not any kids.
7.gif
But I''m still pretty sure I''ll end up caving and buying it soon!

Sidenote: the dress I''m talking about is also a Chinese one because my kids will be half Chinese! Small world.
5.gif

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/23/2006 8:50:06 AM
Author: jetmal
I''m on the supersiticious side.....so no, I would not buy kids clothing ahead of time. Its like counting your chickens before they hatch. Just my opionion.

I agree. Personally I would not feel comfortable buying clothes until I after my first trimester. But hey, if you love it and you feel fine with it go for it! What if you have all boys though?

AmberWaves

Ideal_Rock
Well, my BF is pretty good with me buying the bridal magazines, but I think this one may push him over the edge.
1.gif
I DID buy the cutest little onesie for 0-3 months, it''s white with yellow piping and a soft little ducky on it. It''s for my cousin Karen, though. Her baby is due in August. It''s funny because my BF cousin is pregnant, too. And now I''m like, "Ohh.. I want a baby, too!" I''m starting to think more about babies than weddings!!
32.gif
23.gif
I told him I want to be pregnant before I''m 30, and I turn 27 in November, married by 28. We''d better get moving... It doesn''t help that his mother and sister keep telling me how great of a mother I''ll be.
20.gif
Like I really need that kind of reassurance right now!!
28.gif

XChick03

Brilliant_Rock
My FI is so weird...he''s actually the one who bought a toddlers outfit way in advance, like 5-7 years. He''s a big Star Wars dork and we saw the cutest little outfit that had Chewbacca on it and he bought it.
20.gif
I think he lost it though because I haven''t seen it in a while.

sunkist

Ideal_Rock
Thanks for everyone''s thoughts! Baby clothes are sooo cute! Awwww..... I just had an idea, maybe I''ll buy for one of my nieces and then they''ll pass it on to my kid for sure!!
9.gif

fortheloveofdiamonds

Brilliant_Rock
I won''t buy kid''s clothes before hand; however, I have purchased Disney DVD''s for my future children. I buy them when they come out so I make sure I have most of them. My husband doesn''t like it. Mainly cause he''s cheap.. hahaha!

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''m not planning on having kids but when I see something irresistable I calculate whether anyone I know "fits the bill". I''ve bought a lot of little girl stuff in the last year with a new niece and one of my best friends daughters ... and now am on to two future boy nephews.

My friends think I''m crazy though - I''m buying clothes for RICH kids. I should really buy them & donate them to people who don''t have lawyers & MBA''s for parents.

AmberWaves

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/23/2006 3:24:44 PM
Author: decodelighted
I''m buying clothes for RICH kids. I should really buy them & donate them to people who don''t have lawyers & MBA''s for parents.
It''s funny, because my BF''s brother and Sister in law are loaded, and we always get the boys clothes, because they have a ton of toys, and we notice that the boys wear our clothes ALL the time, and we got a huge kick out of seeing that whole outfits we''ve bought them were worn for the family x-mas card. It''s sad what we get joy out of, isn''t it?
28.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
I don't buy clothes but a few years ago, maybe 5 years, I saw the absolute cutest ribbed terry cloth elephant in a florist store of all places, the elephant was made out of pale blue terry cloth with flat ribs in between the puffs, and then there were applique terry flowers and suns and stuff sewn on it and a ruffle of white lace along the legs...it was SOOO absolutely CUTE.

Now keep in mind I didn't even want kids then! Greg and I had just started dating so it wasn't like I was thinking 'oh for our kids'. I actually was shopping for a friend having a baby that day when I saw it, but I went back a day later and got one for myself! The last one they had. For a 'future' child. So silly. Greg laughed when I showed him. I still have it... and now we are contemplating maybe kids in a few years.

My Mom? She has been making clothes and quilts and the like for our future kids (even though we told them we weren't sure from day one!) for years now..I don't even want to see her stash, it would scare me I'm sure.

Momoftwo

Brilliant_Rock
I didn''t do it until I was pregnant, but a friend of a friend did it. She''d see something she loved and she''d buy it. She collected a lot of clothes. The problem is you never know what sex your children will be before they''re even conceived. I have two college aged boys so I never had a need for girl''s clothes. I''m not superstitious at all, so I''d say go for it if you find something you really love. I still love baby clothes. They are so cute and they outgrow them sooooo fast. Grandchildren one day!

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Another downside to collecting clothes that I didn''t realize until I was buying for real live kids ... you NEVER know what season they are going to be what size until you have a due date. Cute little summer dresses for a 6 month old might not EVER be worn by your future girl born in June.

coconut

Shiny_Rock
Date: 2/23/2006 3:19:41 PM
Author: fortheloveofdiamonds
I won''t buy kid''s clothes before hand; however, I have purchased Disney DVD''s for my future children. I buy them when they come out so I make sure I have most of them. My husband doesn''t like it. Mainly cause he''s cheap.. hahaha!
Same here. Well At first it started out because I was in love with all the Disney stories/animations.. also it brought back childhood memories... Now I just get them to complete my collection thinking in the back of my mind "Our future kids, if we have any, will benefit"

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/23/2006 5:53:11 PM
Author: decodelighted
Another downside to collecting clothes that I didn''t realize until I was buying for real live kids ... you NEVER know what season they are going to be what size until you have a due date. Cute little summer dresses for a 6 month old might not EVER be worn by your future girl born in June.
Just get creative!! Put some thermals on under that cute little summer dress in December! Then she''s good to go!
9.gif

sarita

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/23/2006 5:38:36 PM
Author: Mara
I don''t buy clothes but a few years ago, maybe 5 years, I saw the absolute cutest ribbed terry cloth elephant in a florist store of all places, the elephant was made out of pale blue terry cloth with flat ribs in between the puffs, and then there were applique terry flowers and suns and stuff sewn on it and a ruffle of white lace along the legs...it was SOOO absolutely CUTE.

Now keep in mind I didn''t even want kids then! Greg and I had just started dating so it wasn''t like I was thinking ''oh for our kids''. I actually was shopping for a friend having a baby that day when I saw it, but I went back a day later and got one for myself! The last one they had. For a ''future'' child. So silly. Greg laughed when I showed him. I still have it... and now we are contemplating maybe kids in a few years.

My Mom? She has been making clothes and quilts and the like for our future kids (even though we told them we weren''t sure from day one!) for years now..I don''t even want to see her stash, it would scare me I''m sure.
Interesting thread. One of my first jobs working at a dept. store I got sent up to the baby/kids dept. one day. I had to be maybe 18, no older. Well they had the cutest little Peter Cottontail sac (it was for newborns/infants - it didn''t have any legs/feet to it). It was this cuddly little thing with chunked fabric like lamb''s wool and little arm/mitten sleeves. It had a small patch of fabric where the little rabbit scene was. It was the only one like it I saw. I seriously considered buying it! And I had never had that urge before, though sure you see cute baby stuff around. I told my mom that I was thinking of getting it and she said I was crazy and it was just because I loved buying stuff. Years later I still remember it and think yeah, maybe I should have got that, what would have been the harm?
2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results