shape
carat
color
clarity

Butchered at the hairdresser!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

TLS

Shiny_Rock
I am so aggravated, I just got back from the hairdresser and she butchered me (Ok I am being a little dramatic here, but definitely did not do what i requested). I specifically pointed to the color I wanted her to use and then find out when she is drying my hair that she apparently decided to Veto my choice and do whatever she felt was better in her opinion and without telling me (darker!). It is fine if the hairdresser has a different opinion about what she thinks will look good and shares their opinion, but I don't think it is a good idea to just ignore what the customer asks for and do something completely different. How much clearer can you be than actually selecting the color you want?

And then she scalped me when I asked for her to just clean it up... just wanted a little trim! Itwas already on the short side and she went way short on some of the layers!!!

Ugh. I am sure everyone has one (or several) of these of these stories.

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
sorry to hear about you terrible experience! yes, i think we''ve all had at least of few of those....grrrrr.......
anyway, makes it easy to decide how much to tip!

pqcollectibles

Ideal_Rock
Our youngest daughter had a chop job done on her once. It took nearly 2 years to get the "layers" grown out so her hair could be nicely shaped up. UGH!!
emangry.gif

I feel for you. Nothing like paying to be screwed and not even get to enjoy yourself.
32.gif
29.gif
38.gif

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''m sorry. That sucks. Most of us have the misfortune to have had this happen to us, myself included.
7.gif

I dye my hair red, and at least with reds, if you do some extra hairwashing it tends to fade faster, which will brighten up the color if it''s too dark for your taste. I''ve had to do this on several occasions. It looked better after a week or two.

As for the butchering...I can only sympathize. I''ve had some hairdressers go wacko with the razor, and the scissors. I hope it grows back fast!

Libster

Brilliant_Rock
I''m sorry!! I''ve had my fair share of butcherings and color mishaps. The first time I let a hairdresser color my hair it turned out the most hideous black/purple and I just cried. I had a marketing job at the time and appearance was important. My Boss took one look at me and asked if I''d been in a street fight and to please take the rest of the day off and have it fixed!!! It was a nightmare. I had to have my hair stripped of all color and restart the whole process. I''m lucky my hair didn''t fall out
23.gif

The washing suggestion is a great one. Get one of those cleansing shampoos that are made for cleaning the built up hair products off the strands and that might just lighten it a bit. Good luck and hang in there
35.gif

rms

Brilliant_Rock
so sorry to hear about your bad experience. I have had some bad ones for sure. I once went to a girsl to have my hair layered. When she asked if I wanted long layers or short layers, I definitely hesitated because of the way she asked, so to be safe, I said to go with long layers. Well, she decided to do long layers on one side, and short on the other. One side of my hair was like 5 inches shorter. I went back to complain and the manager said she was sure it was jut my "curl pattern" making it seem that way. haha!! When she realized that wasn''t true, they offered to fix it for free. No way they were going to take scissors to my hair in that salon ever again...I got my money back and happily got it fixed elsewhere. It will grow back, so don''t fret!! Give the color a couple of weeks and see how it looks. My cousin''s wife has the "short and sassy" look and she looks great!!

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''m so sorry about your hair!! I''m sure you communicated what you wanted to get done, but some of these hairdressers have a mind of their own!!
38.gif
At least it won''t take long to grow back, but it still sucks!! I''ve had my share of bad experiences with color- just wish I could do it myself and save some money!!
Then I could buy more jewelry!!
36.gif

TLS

Shiny_Rock
Thanks Everyone! I figured you girls might have your own horror stories to share, I guess this is just unfortuantely a little too common.

I actually have been going to this woman for the past 8 months or so and she is very nice so I did tip her well.... she could tell I was bummed about the color and said I could come back and she would throw in some more highlights to lighten it up, and then told me she didn''t charge me for the the two colors, only for one (I was doing a highlight with two different blond tones - or what was supposed to be blond). I guess some would say it was the least she could do, but since she offered to fix it and was relatively nice about it I still gave her a decent tip.

I am glad she offered to fix it, but I can''t get over the fact that she took it upon herself to do something I didn''t ask for... bizarre.... I would prefer someone making a mistake rather than just deciding to do their own thing.

anway i think sadly it is time to find a new hairdresser, one who likes to listen :)

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oh no! I''m so sorry especially since the same thing just happened to me
7.gif
The hair salon had a book full of photos and I picked a specific do and then the hairdresser decided NOT to cut my hair like the photo and just cut my hair like she thought would be appropriate. She didn''t even cut the layers as the photo showed, but cut it all one length (while all the while explaining why she cut it this same length).

What sucks is that she did little nippy cuts at the bottom so my hair even though it was only cut a week ago, looks split endy and terrible. GRRRRR!!!!

Anyway, hope your color washes out soon!

Hugs!!!
Michelle

Lord Summerisle

Brilliant_Rock
Now ya see.. thats why i dont go to the Hairdresser...

and now i can tuck my hair into my waist band, and my beard into my shirt collar!
31.gif

Diamonds4Me

Brilliant_Rock
EEEEEK!

Oh yes..I have had a couple of nightmare experiences. When I was in high school my hair was down to my waist..and mind you it didn't have a single split end in it. It was model perfect
face23.gif
(hehe)

Anyhoo...went to get a TRIM. The woman grabs a huge chunk of my hair and whacks it off right up at my ear and THEN asks me.."Is THIS what you wanted?".
29.gif
29.gif
29.gif
I not so politely told her that unless she could GLUE them back on then I really didn't have much choice in the matter. I went from waist long, flowing hair (I'm still crying over it) to an ear length bob. Talk about TICKED!!
29.gif
29.gif
29.gif
Needless to say she didn't get a tip.

Then there was the time that I dyed my hair a deep cherry red color (loooooved it) but after five years decided to go back to my blonde color. Again...no split ends..(I'm very particular about my hair)..and specifically asked the woman if the color stripper was going to damage my hair. "Ooooh NO.." she exclaimed. "Not in the least little bit". What an all out LIE. Two hours later, after my hair turned every color in the rainbow (not even kidding..I'm talking purple, blue, orange, green, red...
29.gif
), she washed it off and I swear my hair was the same color as the fur of a polar bear. NO COLOR AT ALL. In fact..it was so colorless that the color wash she put on it afterwards wouldn't even hold.
29.gif
29.gif
29.gif
Not to mention the fact that I looked like I replaced my hair with plastic easter grass. For the first year, every time I washed it, it would stick to my hands like it was coated in glue until it dried. When it was dry it crunched like dead grass. Arghghghghghghhghghghg. I have completely quit going to any salon. It's finally long enough that I trim it myself. NO ONE TOUCHES MY HAIR. PERIOD!
29.gif
29.gif
29.gif
29.gif
29.gif
29.gif
29.gif
29.gif
29.gif
29.gif
29.gif
29.gif

That was only TWO of my horrible experiences...
20.gif

Sorry..that was a long time vent waiting to happen.
5.gif
I feel much better.

Edited: On a side note...my future SIL is a hair dresser and she said that there are a lot of hair dressers out there that will purposely ruin your hair if it's better than theirs. I couldn't believe it when she told me that.
15.gif
It just confirmed everything that's ever happened to me.....blahhhhhh.

eks6426

Ideal_Rock
TL1

I feel for you. I''m so sorry. I think most of us have been there before.

IrishEyes

Brilliant_Rock
I''m so sorry about your experience! We''ve all been there. It is good though that she offered to fix it later. But yes, I would start looking for someone else. So are you fixing it on your own or going to do it with a new hairdresser?

I''ve always dyed my own hair (I''m a natural brunette and I go reddish-auburn). I''ve been doing my own since I was 14 (yeah, I started young!!) and I always get the result I''m looking for. Well about 2 years ago I was at the hairdresser and she was telling how "uneven" my color was and yada yada yada. She convinced me to have a color done. we looked at the color scale thingy together and picked out a real pretty auburn color with some chestnut highlights. 2 hours later I walked out with fire-engine red hair and BLONDE highlights!! WTF?!
29.gif
I had to go home and dye over it with a semi-permanent color so it wouldn''t completely ruin my hair. Needless to say, she didn''t get a good tip, and I have been doing it myself again since then!!

So you''re not alone! Remember that hair always grows out - hopefully faster than slower!!
20.gif

IrishEyes

Brilliant_Rock
Ooooooh!! I got promoted to "cut rock"!!!! Goody, thanks Leonid!!
36.gif
36.gif

Little

Rough_Rock
I''m sooo sorry
8.gif

I''ve had the same hair stylist for 9 years. When we moved out of NYC, I tried someone local. NEVER AGAIN. I''d rather wait longer between hair cuts and spend the 90 minutes to get into the city than do that again!!!!

Little

Iceman

Brilliant_Rock
Im sure you heard the phrase "It will grow back" , but that does not help right now. It seems like anybody can cut hair and do body piercing these days! Hang in there 10 years from now it wont matter.

I was up walking the dog on our property this morning to a beautiful sunrise. I just thank God for another day he as given me to enjoy.

allycat0303

Ideal_Rock
Oh that is not fun. My hairdresser (which is practically family) told me that if you are ever NOT satisfied with a haircut you should come back and tell the hairdresser. They will usually fix it for free. She told me that most hairdresser do not mind at all (and don''t take it personally). I was surprised because I thought it was impolite, but she said it''s really no big deal. The again, you might not want her to touch your hair again.. Good luck!

chantal990

Shiny_Rock
I once had a hairdresser completely hack my hair off I cried for days. I had long hair and I ended up with a boy''s haircut I was devestated and it didn''t help that my darling mother thought it was oh so cute.
29.gif
29.gif
29.gif
29.gif
29.gif
29.gif

I also had a hairdresser once turn my hair a horrible mousy greay colour when I went from blonde to brunette by not applying a "undercoat" type thing that even I knew had to be done.
29.gif
29.gif
29.gif
29.gif
I got a free recolour and cut for that one

solange

Brilliant_Rock
I went to a salon in a major department store in Manhattan. Someone I met had great looking hair and I asked her where she had it done. She recommended this genius.

I decided to have a permanent wave, at her suggestion. My hair is very straight and she assured me that she could do a very soft, natural wave that would just give my hair body without any frizz.
She left me with a timer which went off and she did not return. I asked the receptionist and other beauticians if they could find her because a substantial time had elapsed and I was afraid my hair would be over exposed.

She finally came back and when she started taking the rollers out, I perceived that something was terribly wrong. She could barely get the rollers out, the perm was so tight.
Well, they must have a distress signal there when someone really goofs up because all of a sudden, several of the hairdressers came over to tell me how gorgeous I looked. One even asked me if I had my own TV show because I looked so glamorous. The beautician said she would not comb it out because the perm would hold better. Of course the real reason was that my hair was like brillo and there was no way to even get a comb through it.

When I got home, my kids, who never pay much attention to this sort of thing, told me I looked awful My husband almost fainted when he saw me. We were going out with friends that night and he insisted that I wear a scarf or kerchief. The permanent was literally down to my scalp. I tried cutting off as much as possible but there was nothing I could do.

When the charge bill came, I simply cut off a piece of my hair and sent it by certified mail to the president of the store, explaining what had happened and that I had no intention of paying because the hairdresser had forgotten about me and my hair was burnt to a crisp. It was beaking every time I tried to comb it.

I got a full credit but it took quite some time before enough had enough healthy hair to get a decent hair cut and walk around without a hat or scarf.

IrishEyes

Brilliant_Rock
Solange - OMG, you poor thing!!!
6.gif
That is just awful!!! Where did she go when she was supposed to be listening for the timer? Was she with someone else?? Goodness, that is terrible. The action you took with cutting the piece off and sending it to them was great! Sometimes you *don''t* get what you pay for!!
7.gif

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
Well make her fix the color FOR FREE and then find a new stylist. IT takes a while to find someone who isn't a dud. I have the advantage of having had a license so I know what I want, how to get it and will tell them what to do. Only now have I found someone willing to freaking listen to me. And she LOVES that I do that. SHe said she wished all her clients knew this job.
I am still reconsidering going back and getting an updated and specialized license so I can do hair but...maybe when I have kiddies.

That is a bummer though. It's unfortunate that some just aren't nearly as good as they need to be.

And solange...that really blows. God that is horrible.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results