shape
carat
color
clarity

Bureaucracy at its best...

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
I got a message today from the Chair of my department inviting volunteers for various committees. A snippet from the message follows. In particular, take a peak at the fifth committee on the list :rodent:

"Colleagues,

We have reached the time of the academic year when the Faculty seeks to repopulate its various committees. So here is your chance to beef up your service record, if you are so inclined.

The 5 committees in question are:

Equity and Diversity Committee
Curriculum Committee
Awards and Recognition Committee
Academic Standards Committee
Committee on Committees

Thanks for your consideration and I look forward to hearing from you soon."

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Re: Beurocracy at its best...

HI:

I don't recall those days--being recruiting for committee work/aka tenure responsibilities--with much fondness; but never had the opportunity to committee about committees! Might have changed my mind!

Did you sign up?

cheers--Sharon

yennyfire

Ideal_Rock
Trade

Oh good grief. I think you need a committee to abolish committees! :lol:

Natylad

Ideal_Rock
Premium

HE HE HE HE HE HE HE :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: And i thought that such kind of bureaucracy could only be a greek phenomenon :naughty: :D

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock

:-o
:lol:
That's hilarious!

I think you should propose the creation of a new committee:
The committee on the creation of new committees

The only problem would be: if the committee on the creation of new committees is not yet in existence, who will be responsible for determining if the committee on the creation of new committees should be created? You would need another committee: The interim committee on the creation of a new committee on the creation of new committees. And then the committee to abolish committees could be called in to determine when the committee on the creation of a new committee on the creation of new committees should be abolished in order to allow the committee on the creation of new committees to begin doing their real work, which would of course begin with a retroactive investigation into the creation of committees already in existence. Wait--perhaps that work calls for another committee: The committee on the retroactive investigation into the creation of committees already in existence. Of course, these creation committees will have to articulate with the committee on abolishing committees to determine which committees, already created or otherwise, should be considered for abolishing, which leads to our next concern: who will determine when the committee on abolishing committees should be abolished? The committee on abolishing the committee on abolishing committees? Of course, yes, this committee is also necessary. We must call on the committee on the creation of new committees to determine whether the committee on abolishing the committee on abolishing committees should be created, and if so, begin their task of abolishing the committee on abolishing committees.

Now, only one question remains: where is the birthday recognition committee? We all know that we must have a committee on the creation, execution, and clean-up of birthday celebrations. Of course, a birthday recognition committee would necessitate a committee for acknowledging birthdays of those on the birthday recognition committee, as one should never be expected to acknowledge one's own birthday, after all. And that brings us to the party pooper committee, dedicated to identifying and shaming those who wish not to partake in events and gifts orchestrated by the birthday recognition committee, which brings us back to the committee on the creation of new committees, which must first convene to determine whether these committees should be created, when, and how. The committee on the creation of new committees, once finished with their task, will present their findings to the committee on the execution of the creation of new committees, which will implement the findings of the committee on the creation of new committees and orchestrate the formation of new committees henceforth.

Please direct any questions or concerns to the committee on questions about committees, who will consider your questions and concerns and forward them to the proper committee/s for processing. All questions and concerns will be acknowledged as received by a member of the committee on collecting questions and concerns about committees. Should you find that your question or concern has not been acknowledged by a member of the committee on collecting questions and concerns about committees, please don't hesitate to contact the committee on fielding concerns about questions and concerns submitted to the committee on collecting questions and concerns.

In the case of questions and concerns about the committee process, please forward your questions and concerns to the committee on committee efficiency. After all, efficiency is our top priority, and your voice matters.*

* The committee on committee efficiency asks that you please refrain from submitting questions and concerns to the committee on committee efficiency via phone or in person. For the sake of efficiency, please do send an email, or a letter via regular post.

ksinger

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Who was it? Ah! Lazarus Long, who said that a committee is a life form with 6 or more legs and no brain. Apt.

So, who does the Committee on Committees report to? The Office of Redundancy Office?

kama_s

Ideal_Rock
Premium
ksinger|1303359239|2901651 said:
Who was it? Ah! Lazarus Long, who said that a committee is a life form with 6 or more legs and no brain. Apt.

So, who does the Committee on Committees report to? The Office of Redundancy Office?

*SNORT* Gave me a good chuckle.

Also, Haven, that monologue was hilarious!

Dreamer: makes the decision relatively easy, doesn't it? :Up_to_something:

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Dreamer, Haven.. ::SNORT::

:bigsmile:

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
I need to find out if it was a joke. I feel like it must be, but I also would not be surprised to see it was not :rodent:

I have avoided the Committee on Committees because I am on maternity leave next year. Whewh!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results