shape
carat
color
clarity

Burberry Purse Advice

P

PierreBear

Hi PS Friends,

I've completely worn out my Mark Jacobs cross body purse that I've used as a daily go to purse for the past 5 years. The one I currently use is the Marc by Marc Jacobs 'Classic Q Percy' Faded Aluminum Leather Crossbody and I'm also finding that I'm struggling to fit everything in now as cell phones keep getting slightly larger. I'm considering the small embossed check leather clutch bag by Burberry. It can be used as a cross body but you can also remove the straps where it changes into an evening clutch bag. Any other cross body bags to consider or does anyone else have this bag and would recommend it? I do like that it is leather and there is texture to it so it feels a bit "unique."

some concerns/thoughts:
- Does anyone have this light gray color? I tend to like "gray" so I don't get hung up on whether it will match with black or brown since it would be my everyday purse. However, the light gray almost seems a bit beige or neutral, at least in the pictures.
- Is this a classic type bag that will always be in style?
- Does this color go with the evening/dressy look?
- Is the style right now to have gold chains as the straps instead of leather? I was also considering another Burberry bag that had that look.

Thanks in advance and appreciate suggestions and thoughts!

burberry_purse.png

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
-I don't have a gray bag, but yes, that one looks like a pretty good neutral.
-Yes, I'd say it's pretty classic. There's nothing about the shape, style, color, hardware, etc. that seems "trendy" to me.
-I would think that the color is pretty universal and could be dressed up or down.
-Strap material is more about personal preference. Chain straps are always "in" as far as I'm concerned (made classic by Chanel of course ;-) ), but leather straps are always "in" too. I have bags with both and leather straps can be a little more comfortable.

I'd say that overall, that bag looks like a pretty good buy. My only hesitation would be the gray color because as much as I like gray, I still tend to prefer black or brown as my neutrals.

P

PierreBear

Thanks for the comments! I'm going to mull it over some more and perhaps come Xmas time if it is still a good fit, it will be top on the list.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Take a look at Rebecca Minkoff. I have some of her cross body bags. Many have chain straps and some of the bags are inspired by higher end bags. Neiman Marcus carries the line, but it is not too expensive. I wouldn't count on the same bag working for day and evening (as in dressy), personally. The Rebecca Minkoff site is the best place to see the whole line. I am not sure what they might have in gray, though. I haven't checked the fall line.

I think the Burberry bag looks beautiful, though!

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
diamondseeker2006 said:
Take a look at Rebecca Minkoff. I have some of her cross body bags. Many have chain straps and some of the bags are inspired by higher end bags. Neiman Marcus carries the line, but it is not too expensive. I wouldn't count on the same bag working for day and evening (as in dressy), personally. The Rebecca Minkoff site is the best place to see the whole line. I am not sure what they might have in gray, though. I haven't checked the fall line.

I think the Burberry bag looks beautiful, though!
Great suggestion, DS! RM has nice leather crossbody bags, and they are more apt to go on sale at department stores than Burberry, too!

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well if we're recommending any bag as opposed to commenting on the Burberry, I recently got one of these and am *in love* with it: http://roughandtumbledesign.com/ It's nice leather, sturdily put together, and converts from crossbody to backpack. I got it for vacations so I can put all my stuff in it and backpack it when it gets heavy/when I'm dealing with my luggage/riding a moped/whatever.

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
distracts said:
Well if we're recommending any bag as opposed to commenting on the Burberry, I recently got one of these and am *in love* with it: http://roughandtumbledesign.com/ It's nice leather, sturdily put together, and converts from crossbody to backpack. I got it for vacations so I can put all my stuff in it and backpack it when it gets heavy/when I'm dealing with my luggage/riding a moped/whatever.
I love when PSers recommend additional options - it's how I learn about new brands!!! These bags look so smooshy and huggable and the price points are quite reasonable, especially the ones on sale :shock: :love: :appl:

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
PintoBean|1473377137|4074465 said:
distracts said:
I love when PSers recommend additional options - it's how I learn about new brands!!! These bags look so smooshy and huggable and the price points are quite reasonable, especially the ones on sale :shock: :love: :appl:

They really ARE smooshy and huggable. Works great as a pillow on road trips, even with my ipad inside. I got this one: http://roughandtumbledesign.com/products/hp-front-zip-pockets-3 My mother thought I should wait until after the Italy trip to buy one because I might find something I liked more in Italy, bt despite lots of shopping, I didn't. Nothing else I found had all the pockets + convertible + nice leather + price I could stand spending. One reason I specifically liked it was that both the outside zip pockets and two of the inside pockets are big enough to fit my Kindle, so when I get on an airplane I don't have to go digging for it.

They also have good customer service - I called with a few questions about what they had in stock, what would fit in the pockets, how fast it would ship, etc, and they called right back and answered all of them, and shipped it right out rapidly (their normal shipping might have just been 3-day? it was super fast).

The style might not be for everyone but if it's the sort of thing anyone is looking for - I highly recommend them! I think I'm going to get a small one in silver or white for if I need a slightly fancier carry-nearly-everything purse.

P

PierreBear

Thanks for the additional options! Yes, I kinda feel like I would be overpaying for a branded purse and there are others with the same basic shape for the leather. Is that what ya'll are hinting at too? I'm a bit torn. : /

Also on the topic of luxury purses, are we just paying extra for the brand? It's not really that their leather is a higher quality than others is it? I actually was surprised to learn that LV purses were not made of leather but instead with canvass. I can see why many ladies like the LV purses as it's classic and elegant but I would have thought for that price it would have been leather. Help me understand purses!

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
PierreBear|1473425872|4074550 said:
Thanks for the additional options! Yes, I kinda feel like I would be overpaying for a branded purse and there are others with the same basic shape for the leather. Is that what ya'll are hinting at too? I'm a bit torn. : /

Also on the topic of luxury purses, are we just paying extra for the brand? It's not really that their leather is a higher quality than others is it? I actually was surprised to learn that LV purses were not made of leather but instead with canvass. I can see why many ladies like the LV purses as it's classic and elegant but I would have thought for that price it would have been leather. Help me understand purses!

I think the Burberry is super pretty, but I would try to see it in person before buying. I have a Burberry Canter that I've had for several years and got because I was looking for something very specific (just like with my other bag for vacations) and was willing to pay any price to get it. I have not found it to be different in quality than any other bags I own that cost at least about $200, and from looking at other bags in the store I don't think most of them are either. I do not regret buying it at all because it suits the purpose I wanted it for exactly and better than anything else I tried in stores. So I would say if you like the Burberry, get it. Heck, it's not the most expensive Burberry purse by far, and if you are carrying it as long as you have carried your other purse, that is only like $200/year, which is certainly less than I spend yearly for purses. I know that for me personally, I tire of a purse after 1-2 years, so that's something I have to factor in to how much I spend, because if I spend $1k/year on purse instead of $250/year, that's $750/year that could be used on bling!

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
distracts|1473386133|4074496 said:
PintoBean|1473377137|4074465 said:
distracts said:

They really ARE smooshy and huggable. Works great as a pillow on road trips, even with my ipad inside. I got this one: http://roughandtumbledesign.com/products/hp-front-zip-pockets-3 My mother thought I should wait until after the Italy trip to buy one because I might find something I liked more in Italy, bt despite lots of shopping, I didn't. Nothing else I found had all the pockets + convertible + nice leather + price I could stand spending. One reason I specifically liked it was that both the outside zip pockets and two of the inside pockets are big enough to fit my Kindle, so when I get on an airplane I don't have to go digging for it.

They also have good customer service - I called with a few questions about what they had in stock, what would fit in the pockets, how fast it would ship, etc, and they called right back and answered all of them, and shipped it right out rapidly (their normal shipping might have just been 3-day? it was super fast).

The style might not be for everyone but if it's the sort of thing anyone is looking for - I highly recommend them! I think I'm going to get a small one in silver or white for if I need a slightly fancier carry-nearly-everything purse.
You dear enabler! I prefer bags without zippers nowadays to avoid scratching my bracelets up, so I ended up purchasing a small sling in petrol and espresso. I got a 10% off coupon code just by subscribing to their website. Granted, the shape of the bag kinda looks like a, ahem, nut sack to me :oops: and my friend thinks it's shaped like a horse's feed bag :lol: (yes, I'm going to end up going to hell in a HANDBAG! :twisted: :lol: :lol: :lol: ), but I nonetheless think it's a nice looking bag with quality leather. :dance:

P

PierreBear

distracts|1473451673|4074655 said:
PierreBear|1473425872|4074550 said:

I think the Burberry is super pretty, but I would try to see it in person before buying. I have a Burberry Canter that I've had for several years and got because I was looking for something very specific (just like with my other bag for vacations) and was willing to pay any price to get it. I have not found it to be different in quality than any other bags I own that cost at least about $200, and from looking at other bags in the store I don't think most of them are either. I do not regret buying it at all because it suits the purpose I wanted it for exactly and better than anything else I tried in stores. So I would say if you like the Burberry, get it. Heck, it's not the most expensive Burberry purse by far, and if you are carrying it as long as you have carried your other purse, that is only like $200/year, which is certainly less than I spend yearly for purses. I know that for me personally, I tire of a purse after 1-2 years, so that's something I have to factor in to how much I spend, because if I spend $1k/year on purse instead of $250/year, that's $750/year that could be used on bling!

Thanks for your comment! I actually have seen the purse in person but in black and not the gray. I know they have the ability to order it in but I always feel obligated to buy it since I know shipping and moving inventory around is still a cost to the company. I actually also have another Burberry bag and def don't regret it since as you said, it was for a specific purpose. Took husband to the store this past weekend and he liked it as well so I think this will be on the Xmas list. Am I the only one starting on my list so early? :o

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results