shape
carat
color
clarity

BSA doesn't like gays, but protects their molesters

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What is it about these powerful, arrogant, pious, and self righteous institutions that protect their image instead of the kids? . . .

Partial Snip:

Rick Turley was 18 when he learned that Scouting offered a unique opportunity to meet boys.

He would show up in a uniform with a sash full of merit badges, charm parents with claims of being a "top" leader and offer to take their preteen boys out for a swim or drive. Then, often after plying them with alcohol, he would fondle or rape them — once going so far as to kidnap a boy in a stolen plane.

Over nearly two decades, Turley molested at least 15 children in Southern California and British Columbia, most of whom he met through American and Canadian Scouting, a Los Angeles Times and Canadian Broadcasting Corp. investigation has found.

Scouting officials on both sides of the border not only failed to stop him, but sometimes helped cover his tracks, according to confidential Scouting records, court files and interviews with victims, families and Scout leaders.

At one point in 1979, Boy Scouts of America officials decided not to call police after Turley admitted molesting three Orange County boys, the organization's records show.

"We were following exactly the national recommendations of the Boy Scouts of America and its board who set up the rules," said A. Buford Hill Jr., a former Orange County Scouting executive, in a recent interview. "You do not want to broadcast to the entire population that these things happen. You take care of it quietly and make sure it never happens again."

But it did.

The Scouts' handling of sex-abuse allegations echoes that of the Catholic Church in the face of accusations against its priests, some attorneys say.

"It's the same institutional reaction: scandal prevention," said Seattle attorney Timothy Kosnoff, who has filed seven suits in the last year by former Scouts but was not involved in the Oregon case.

The rest of the story . . . http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-me-scouts-molest-story,0,3130016.htmlstory

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
kenny|1319907232|3049927 said:
charm parents with claims of being a "top"

I know I shouldn't laugh but it's hysterical someone would write this and not appreciate the irony (or did they? :confused: ).

He showed up claiming to be a top. OMG! The author might have chosen a different word but I guess that's what the guy said so the person who wrote this had no choice.

Was this meant to be ironic?

I'm sorry; I know I didn't get very far before I got distracted. Institutions are famous for doing this. I'm sure we could all think of other examples.

ksinger

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Absolutely and totally revolting. And full of the hypocrisy we've all come to expect from those who sanctimoniously and dogmatically preach one thing, while doing it themselves. :nono:

Aoife

Brilliant_Rock
Over the years I have lost so much respect for Boy Scouts because of their handling of sexual abuse. I hate that kind of self-righteous hypocrisy.

On the other hand, my husband was an Eagle Scout, and considers his Scouting experiences to have been some of the best preparation for leadership and group cooperation he received as a kid. So I think there's something worth saving in the Scouting movement, but there is no doubt at all the the organization needs to be drastically revamped, with accountability at all levels. Some jail time for the people who participated in these cover-up would be nice, too.

ksinger

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Aoife|1319909351|3049938 said:
Over the years I have lost so much respect for Boy Scouts because of their handling of sexual abuse. I hate that kind of self-righteous hypocrisy.

On the other hand, my husband was an Eagle Scout, and considers his Scouting experiences to have been some of the best preparation for leadership and group cooperation he received as a kid. So I think there's something worth saving in the Scouting movement, but there is no doubt at all the the organization needs to be drastically revamped, with accountability at all levels. Some jail time for the people who participated in these cover-up would be nice, too.

From what I've read in recent Irish publications, you could just substitute "Catholic Church" in your sentences, and have it work just fine.

I've been following that whole thing very closely - both in the US back when, and now in Ireland. The Irish are ANGRY. I never thought the world could see such a thing, but it truly looks like their long relationship with Catholicism may be irreparably damaged...

mary poppins

Ideal_Rock
Premium
As I was reading the excerpt, and before I saw the Catholic church reference in the article, I was substituting Catholic church for all of the Boy Scout references.

Both organizations involved in scandalous hypocrisy. :nono:

Aoife

Brilliant_Rock
ksinger|1319909751|3049942 said:
Aoife|1319909351|3049938 said:

From what I've read in recent Irish publications, you could just substitute "Catholic Church" in your sentences, and have it work just fine.

I've been following that whole thing very closely - both in the US back when, and now in Ireland. The Irish are ANGRY. I never thought the world could see such a thing, but it truly looks like their long relationship with Catholicism may be irreparably damaged...

The similarities are striking, aren't they?

yennyfire

Ideal_Rock
Trade
My ex was molested by his Boy Scout leader. His father had a heart attack and the leader offered to "help" his Mom by taking him to movies, etc. while his Dad recovered. My ex didn't have conscious memories of this, but started having nightmares. After a while, it became clearer to him and he had full recall. As far as I know, he never told his parent's what had happened to him.

It's for this reason that I won't let my children participate in an activity (be in sports, ballet, scouts, etc.) unless their father, I or a super close family friend are in charge. It just takes one incident to scar a child for life and I'm not willing to take that chance. A couple of weeks ago, my son was invited to attend a prestigious baseball camp with his coach and another boy or two. We don't know the coach personally, nor did any of my close friends, so my husband took our son and offered to help the coach with the kids. It gave me peace of mind. I realize that at some point, I'll have to let go, but not at age 6.

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My son was a member of Boy Scouts once, in MA, and while I was always with him, accompanying him to all meetings, and while our members were decent people, I consider the whole organization archaic and obsolete. My heart goes out to the kids that were molested or raped by people posing as their "friends" though...

A little bit off-topic but I do not want to start a separate thread on it. At the same time, I need to mention it. I recently spoke to a member of a very conservative fundamental Christian church who herself supports gays, lesbians and transgenders, regardless of her Church's teachings. "It is not what my Church teaches, is between me and the God", she said. I never heard anything more reasonable.

asscherisme

Ideal_Rock
I have never and would never let my boys join BSA because of their discrimination against having gay boy scout leaders. When my teenager was younger he did not understand why I would not let him join. However now he respects my decision and tells me how much he respects me for it.

I knew that BSA discriminates against gay leaders, but I did not know about protecting molesters. Thats really really awful and makes me glad I trusted my gut to not let my boys join.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results