shape
carat
color
clarity

Bring out the Blues

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have a small greenish blue toumaline of about 4mm x 5mm that I want to bezel set in a ring. The colour is pretty light and I want to hide the green while bringing out the blue. What colour metal is best?

I know for rubies, yellow metals surpresses the purple and brings out the red.
What do I use to surpress the green and bring out the blue?

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
i think white.
2.gif

it sounds like a lovely stone, do you have any pics?

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
That would be Magenta, what about a halo of purple sappfires set with no metal between them and the tourm?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Would magenta be a tad too strong a colour? This is a copper bearing tourmaline, so the colour is a light blue.

On second thought, maybe it will work. Since the stone is so small, will it be difficult to get purple sapphire melees that will not overpower the stone? What do you mean by setting the halo with no metal between them and the tourmaline? Do you have a picture to illustrate this?

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
I will go look for some pictures, is you stone an oval?

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Fun project, can we see the stone??

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The stone is a squarish modified emerald cut: Daniel Stair cut the tourmaline for me, so it isn''t the usual step cut.

As for pictures, I finally got a digital camera but haven''t a clue how to handle the thing! Where''s the blushing icon when I need one...

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
here is what i meant Chrono, see there is no metal in between the tourm and the side purple sapphires. They will kill the green and when you''ll be able to post a photo of your tourmaline and we''ll see the color we would be able to suggest color and lightness of sides.

ChronoPurple.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am posting the original pictures from the vendor:
Here is the picture of the rough. This is a truer colour than the next picture which shows the cut stone.

PB Rough.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here is a close up of the actual stone: again a vendor picture, but the colour here looks terribly washed out. For the true colour, see the picture above.

ETA:
Ah, I see it isn't an emerald cut, but a barion cut. My mistake.

PB Barion.jpg

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
Chrono, it''s such a nice gem, i would set it with much darker and saturated purple sapphires like this.

ChronoTourm.jpg

diamondsrock

Brilliant_Rock
what a beautiful color! I really like that. I am partial to blue-green stones. I have a darker blue-green tourmaline that I want set but haven''t gotten around to it yet. I like that lighter stone, though. Now I want one that color!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow, I really like that darker purple sapphire with the aqua blue.
30.gif
The colour combination is divine. The only thing I don''t like is how chunky the metal is; I want something delicate or at least with less metal. Anymore ideas? With the purple sapphires, of course.
31.gif

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Your stone is just WONDERFUL!

I love the color and the cut.

Best wishes picking a setting.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Diamondsrock and Stone Hunter, thanks for the compliments. I've had this stone for nearly 2 years but had no idea what to do with it. So now I'm playing around with getting it set. I have so many gemstones that are just sitting in their gem cases: a couple red and blue spinels, aqua, pink and teal tourmalines, amethysts, blue zircon and cc garnets.

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/10/2007 2:48:49 PM
Author: Chrono
Diamondsrock and Stone Hunter, thanks for the compliments. I''ve had this stone for nearly 2 years but had no idea what to do with it. So now I''m playing around with getting it set. I have so many gemstones that are just sitting in their gem cases: a couple red and blue spinels, aqua, pink and teal tourmalines, amethysts, blue zircon and cc garnets.
What a shame for them to be just sitting in their cases! Get those babies set as soon as you have the means LOL!!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Actually, I do have the means to get them set but the problem is I don''t know what to do with them. I mean, I only have 2 pairs of hands, one neck and two ears.
9.gif
I already have a diamond "set" that I wear regularly, plus an amethyst "set". I normally don''t change sets unless it is for a special occasion, plus sometimes, it is kind of fun to play with loose gemstones.
11.gif
Then, the other thing is also the question of how to set them. Sigh...I am just so undecided.

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/11/2007 9:10:13 AM
Author: Chrono
Actually, I do have the means to get them set but the problem is I don''t know what to do with them. I mean, I only have 2 pairs of hands, one neck and two ears.
9.gif
I already have a diamond ''set'' that I wear regularly, plus an amethyst ''set''. I normally don''t change sets unless it is for a special occasion, plus sometimes, it is kind of fun to play with loose gemstones.
11.gif
Then, the other thing is also the question of how to set them. Sigh...I am just so undecided.
I totally understand. All these decisions are hard. But I think it''s wonderful that you''ve found so many stones you obviously enjoy. I hope to find a few that I love. My husband is getting nervous.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results