shape
carat
color
clarity

BrillianceScope, Symmetry, and Polish

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

perfectionist

Rough_Rock
Hi everyone,

I could use some expert advice. I think I have determined my best 2 options for buying a really nice stone. I could purchase through an online dealer who has stones which rate very high on the BrillianceScope, and additionally, are very symmetrical, well-polished, and often certified hearts and arrows. My other alternative is a brick and mortar dealer who also has a BrilliantScope. His stones do just as well as the online store on the BrillianceScope, and his prices are comparable. However, he sells the "needles in the haystack" he finds among non-brand name diamonds. They are probably not as symmetrical or well-polished as the online vendor's, but perform just as well on the BrillianceScope. All else equal, I'd rather buy from the local guy so I can come back for service, but I am concerned I'd be sacrificing quality.

My questions:
What do you folks think of BrillianceScopes (not idealscopes -- these are electronic gadgets)? Pretty reliable?

How important is symmetry and polish? If two stones perform equally on the BrillianceScope, do they really matter?

The bottom line is I want the most beautiful diamond I can find (to the vision of the layperson) and don't care at all about fancy brand-names or good grades, *unless* they really affect the stone's beauty.

Thanks so much for your advice!

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
Hi Perfectionist :)

I wish there will be simple answer to this question. At any rate, I don't think you'll make any big mistake by choosing either of them.

Could you find a jeweler in your area to see ideal cut diamonds? Perhaps Hearts on Fire or other brands?

I like your position! Could you find a jeweler in your area to see ideal cut diamonds? Perhaps Hearts on Fire (very common) or other brands? I'm sure these super ideal diamonds you found online are very nice and not less beautiful than HoF.

As for Brilliancescope, it is nice to know your diamond performs well with this machine; just keep in mind no machine can see as a human eye. Many beautiful diamonds don't perform as good on BS as others and vice versa. I wouldn’t recommend splitting hairs with it.

Polish: you won't be able to tell the difference between Good, Very Good, or Excellent.

Symmetry: usually people prefer symmetrical stones. Only you can decide whether you can see a difference between Excellent and Super-Ideal symmetry. For some folks it is important to know their diamonds have a spotless Hearts and Arrows pattern.

How about other factors like spread (diameter), girdle (shouldn’t be very thin or thick), culet (shouldn’t be large), etc?

perfectionist

Rough_Rock
Hi Leonid,

Thanks for getting back to me ¡V I appreciate your answers.

I actually did visit a dealer who showed me Hearts on Fire and they were indeed beautiful. However, so were the non-branded stones the other place had. I like tools like the BrillianceScope because it allows you to compare diamonds unseen, whether it¡¦s online, or between local stores (it¡¦s hard to remember what you saw a few days ago at that other store. . . ). I just hope it¡¦s accurate. ƒº

Thanks for the tip on polish! Regarding symmetry, most people prefer it, but can most people see its effects comparing a totally symmetrical and reasonably symmetrical stone, without a loupe or H&A viewer? In other words, is the difference real, or mostly psychological? My diamond will be under a carat, so imperfections should be hard to see. Is symmetry detectable with the naked eye? Does a slightly unsymmetrical stone hurt light performance?

I¡¦ll be sure to pay attention to spread, girdle, and culet.

Thanks!

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
----------------
I actually did visit a dealer who showed me Hearts on Fire and they were indeed beautiful. However, so were the non-branded stones the other place had.
----------------

It's gereat that you were able to see them. I'm sure those internet ideal diamonds won't be less beautiful. There might be some minor differences in their appearance which is rather a matter of personal taste.

----------------
Regarding symmetry, most people prefer it, but can most people see its effects comparing a totally symmetrical and reasonably symmetrical stone, without a loupe or H&A viewer? In other words, is the difference real, or mostly psychological? My diamond will be under a carat, so imperfections should be hard to see. Is symmetry detectable with the naked eye?
----------------

Some people including experts say NO. Others say YES especially if you look at the diamond for quite a long time :loopy: Some people get obsessed with it, other just move on :)

----------------
Does a slightly unsymmetrical stone hurt light performance?
----------------

Depends... Can be both ways – it is not that simple. Keep in mind that light return itself is not the same as human perception of brilliance. Besides, unlike any scope, we look at diamonds with two eyes. Finally, there are nice stones outside traditional ideal proportions that could be very nice too.

Want some advance reading? Check this out:

[/u][/u][/u]

perfectionist

Rough_Rock
Wow! No easy answers, I guess. I guess I'll just have to trust my own judgment and do the best I can. Thanks for the advice!

lawmax

Brilliant_Rock
Also, remember that symmetry as currently graded on lab reports is only a description of external symmetry which describes how well facet junctions meet each other. The difference between good and excellent here is not apparent to the naked eye. When discussing symmetry in super-ideal cut diamonds, it is optical symmetry that is being discussed.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results