shape
carat
color
clarity

Bridesmaid dress and dieting

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Hera

Ideal_Rock
Hi Everyone, I am a bridesmaid in my friend''s wedding in August 2009. I''m supposed to buy the dress (Demetrios gown) by the end of January, but I have a problem. I have been on a diet and have lost 15 pounds and am planning to lose around 40 pounds by then. I don''t really know what to do. The bride wants the dresses from the same dye lot. Any suggestions?

Winslet

Shiny_Rock
Order in the size you are now and then have it taken in. Otherwise you''ll be adding a lot of extra stress (not just motivation) to lose weight. And congrats on the current weigh loss!

Hera

Ideal_Rock
Well, I was thinking of doing that, but I''m worried I''ll only be able to have it taken in a couple/few sizes. With a weight loss of 40-50 pounds, it might be like 4 sizes on me.

redfaerythinker

Brilliant_Rock
IF you''re sure you can lose more weight then I would maybe try on two sizes down and see how small it is, depending on how small it is, buy that one. Even if you don''t lose all the weight it will fit, and if you do lose all the weight it won''t need to be taken in four sizes.

Sparkalicious

Ideal_Rock
My suggestion ... based on learning the hard way
20.gif
... is to order the dress in your size now or, at the most, a single size down and have it altered when it is ready and you have lost the majority of your desired weight loss. It is just so much easier to take in than it is to take out. If you have a good seamstress, they''ll be able to figure out something to make it look fantastic even with such a dramatic weight loss!

jkil0313

Rough_Rock
I have to agree with buying now or a most a size smaller. I was recently in a friends wedding and for two of the bridesmaids, buying smaller because they thought they would lose weight backed fired big time. To the point that the dresses almost looked sloppy. It ended up that they had to just wear them to walk down the aisle then the second the ceremony was over, they changed. In their case, the dress didn''t look as good as they had hoped on them, and they spent a large amount of money to only wear something for 20 mins.

Generally there is an inch or two of extra fabric in the seaming so if you should happen to not loose weight and buy a dress smaller you should be covered for letting it out some.

CONGRATS ON THE WEIGHT LOSS!!! That is a huge achievement
36.gif

emeraldlover1

Ideal_Rock
Honestly, it is too hard to predict how your body will respond to that amount of weight loss. Weight loss usually slows dramatically when you get closer to your ideal weight. I''ve had a bridesmaid dress taken in 4 sizes last summer. They ordered the wrong size for me and it wasn''t that big of a deal. I even ordered my wedding gown one size bigger so that I could have it tailored to me.

mayachel

Brilliant_Rock
In part, it would depend on where the dress fits tightly...as a bridesmaid I''ve found that according to measurements, the sales associates always want me to order one size up, based on my hip to waist ratio...I''ve got both! The thing is, if the dress has a clear waist that fits, and a full skirt,it doesn''t really matter if it''s the 8 or the 10, so I ordered what fit me on top, which meant I didn''t need it altered at all. My round about advice, is try on a similar dress one or two sizes down and see how that fits for right now, and where the room to let it out or take it in would come from. Some dress structures don''t do well going down 4 sizes, but most can handle 2.

AmberGretchen

Ideal_Rock
I think you should be able to have it taken in a whole lot, unless there is elaborate beading or other detailing on the dress.

I had a dress that I bought and loved (black with gold lace trim from Ann Taylor), and I lost 50 lbs. I was about 4 sizes smaller and a good seamstress was able to take it in that much, and I still wear that dress.

bee*

Super_Ideal_Rock
I would definitely order it in the size you are now or one smaller. Like others I''ve learnt the hard way.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results