shape
carat
color
clarity

Brides from NH, MA, or ME??

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
One idea that I really like is to do a brunch reception (buffet style, ideally) after a simple cermony. We''re tossing around a few other ideas as well, but this is something that I like, as it seems classy yet relaxed -- just what I want the day to be.

Anyway, we live in New England and are looking for suggestions for venues (restaurants, inns, etc.) in NH, MA, or ME. Right now we''re thinking of inviting ~ 50-100 or so guests to our July 2008 wedding. That''s the month we''re thinking anyway. It could change, but summer time is a definite. We have no idea about our budget yet but we''d like to begin gathering initial info.

Thoughts? TIA!

Kismet

Ideal_Rock
We had our reception at the Robert Treat Paine Estate in Waltham, MA. It''s an historic house so you rent the place and then bring in (most) everything. We had 100 people at our reception and that was pretty much the absolute max for all indoors sit down dinner (we did have a buffet dinner but everyone had an assigned table).

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
We were thinking about Sunset Farm in Tyringham, MA. Might still be doing it, but who knows right now!

If you want some good choices check out the Boston or NH forum on TheKnot.com. Those girls know a LOT more than me!!!

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/18/2007 4:18:34 PM
Author: Kismet
We had our reception at the Robert Treat Paine Estate in Waltham, MA. It''s an historic house so you rent the place and then bring in (most) everything. We had 100 people at our reception and that was pretty much the absolute max for all indoors sit down dinner (we did have a buffet dinner but everyone had an assigned table).
Wow! I juut checked out their website and the estate looks beautiful! I wish there were other pictures other than the one on their home page. Do you mind telling me more about your reception? I''ve requested information but I don''t know anyone who has been there. Thanks!

brgirl

Shiny_Rock
Hi!

I''m having our wedding and reception in Maine this fall at the Maple Hill Farm Bed & Breakfast in Hallowell, Maine. (near Augusta - Central Maine)

Their website is http://www.maplebb.com, but there isn''t any wedding info on there! They have an attached conference room that can hold up to 150 people. Their prices are very reasonable (15-30/head depending on what package you choose), and it''s just a great little farm. Of course we''re getting married in the Fall and it is surrounded by trees!

It''s not as glamorous as coastal Maine (which is where people who come to Maine to get married generally gravitate..), but I wanted to get married in Central Maine!

Here is a list of other places I had found in Maine as well in my search. The prices vary, as do the locations!
http://www.rfpmaine.com/about/
http://asticou.com/gardens.html
http://www.barharborinn.com/weddings2.htm
http://www.captainavnickelsinn.com/html/weddings.html
http://www.clayhillfarm.com/weddings.cfm
http://www.oaklandhouse.com/blue_hill_deer_isle_coastal_weddings.html
http://www.sebasco.com/
http://www.alamoosooklakesideinn.com/weddings.html

This is a link to the more popular places:
http://www.weddingsdowneast.com/maine-wedding-resources.php?article_id=9

There is also the Sunday River area and Sugarloaf ski areas that I here are pretty cheap in the non-skiing months! (You can rent condos for $30/night)

Hope that helps!

Lil0818

Rough_Rock
We''re getting married this summer in the Berkshires in western MA - one of my favorite places in the whole world! Here is a list of places that we compiled in our search for the perfect venue (all in western MA):

Blantyre Estate
Wheatleigh Estate
Cranwell Resort
Gedney Farm/Inn on the Green
The Red Lion Inn in Stockbridge
The Norman Rockwell Museum
Mass MoCA
The Williamsville Inn
Belvoir Terrace
The Mount

We are also planning on a quick few nights at The Equinox in Manchester, VT for a brief honeymoon after the wedding.

Hope this helps!

larussel03

Brilliant_Rock
On the northshore is the Danversport Yacht Club which is pretty nice and has a great brunch menu. There''s also Montvale Plaza, and numberous country clubs such as HillView in North Reading and Thompson Country Club in Reading, MA...

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/18/2007 8:19:14 PM
Author: Lil0818
We''re getting married this summer in the Berkshires in western MA - one of my favorite places in the whole world! Here is a list of places that we compiled in our search for the perfect venue (all in western MA):

Blantyre Estate

Wheatleigh Estate

Cranwell Resort

Gedney Farm/Inn on the Green

The Red Lion Inn in Stockbridge

The Norman Rockwell Museum

Mass MoCA

The Williamsville Inn

Belvoir Terrace

The Mount

We are also planning on a quick few nights at The Equinox in Manchester, VT for a brief honeymoon after the wedding.

Hope this helps!

Zoe,

We checked into many of these places, so if you think you might be interested I can relay the cost info for the ones we looked into if you need it!

larussel03

Brilliant_Rock
There is also the Hardcover restaurant in Danvers, MA that is great and offers a reasonably priced brunch menu for groups!

hikerchick

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 4/18/2007 9:16:42 PM
Author: neatfreak

Zoe,

We checked into many of these places, so if you think you might be interested I can relay the cost info for the ones we looked into if you need it!
I am watching this thread with MUCH interest and neatfreak I would be SO appreciative if you would share the cost info for any places you looked at in the Northeast and if any of them allow outside caterers. Thanks.

Selkie

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/18/2007 8:19:14 PM
Author: Lil0818

The Williamsville Inn

My best friend got married at the Williamsville Inn! It was AMAZING, in part because the owners are professional chefs, and run a cooking school, so the food was incomparable. It''s also a beautiful setting, and the perfect place for a 50-100 person wedding. I''d definitely recommend looking into it.

My brother got married in Concord at Buttrick Gardens near the Old North Bridge in Minuteman National Park, and had a lovely reception at
Concord''s Colonial Inn.

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thank you, thank you for al the suggestions! I have a lot of reading to do and I''ll get started after work tonight. I''m sure I''ll have other questions over time but this is exactly the type of info. I was looking for.

Thanks again!

Kismet

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/18/2007 4:50:39 PM
Author: zoebartlett
Date: 4/18/2007 4:18:34 PM

Author: Kismet

Wow! I juut checked out their website and the estate looks beautiful! I wish there were other pictures other than the one on their home page. Do you mind telling me more about your reception? I''ve requested information but I don''t know anyone who has been there. Thanks!

I don''t mind, but what would you like to know specifically? I got married in 1998 so anything I write here may be out of date. The tables for dinner were set up in the Summer parlor and while we were not squished, we certainly could not have fit in another table. We had a buffet style meal and the food was set up in the dining room. The bar was either in the autumn parlor or the bow parlor I forget which now. DJ & dancing was in the Great Hall. This setup seemed to work well and I don''t recall there being any traffic flow problems.

Most of upstairs was basically off limits but there was a room set aside up there for the bridal party to change, bustle the dress, etc. There''s a lawn surrounding the house, but most of the area is pretty heavily wooded. There''s also a back porch and patio. I got married on May 23 so the rhododendrons & azaleas were blooming nicely but I don''t recall there being much in the way of formal gardens.

The coordinator at Stonehurst (Marcia Goodwin?? I forget her name now) was very nice and helpful. They have a list of vendors that they''ve worked with before, but I don''t think you had to choose people off of it. There was a set fee to rent the place for (I believe) 5 hours. You could extend it longer at an additional charge which we kicked ourselves for not doing. I think that they only rented the place out once per day so you didn''t have to worry about someone coming in before or after.

For catering we used Swartz Catering - I dealt with Susan Shapiro there. The food was awesome and she was very much on the ball. We bought our alcohol through Gordon''s Liquors in Waltham. They were nice too. They helped us pick out wine before hand, delivered everything, made an additional delivery during the reception, took back unopened bottles, etc.

mercoledi

Ideal_Rock
We ended up eoping at Gedney Farm''s Mepal Manor, so I can''t help with cost, but the Inn/grounds were gorgeous. When we were planning a larger affair our fron runner was the Peabody Essex musem in Salem Ma. They have a few diferent locations, both galleries/gardens in the museum and a separate manor house nearby that can be rented for functions. Like the the place in Waltham you have to bring everything in, but the published rates are reasonable.

Tower Hill botanical garden is also quite beautiful (more outside than inside) and reasonably priced.

Less reasonabley priced but stunningly beautiful is the Inn at Castle Hill on the crane Beach reserve in Ipswich MA. I wanted dearly to be married there, but they were no longer taking events when I called.

Good luck! If you want pictures of Mepal Manor, I have tons. The pictures on the website really don''t do the place justice!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results