shape
carat
color
clarity

Bridal Retail Markup....unreal!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

emeraldlover1

Ideal_Rock
Ok, so we all know that retailers/salons markup their prices but listen to this. I went to a well known NYC bridal salon yesterday to look at veils and headpices. I''m looking for a fairly simple veil but thinking about adding a feather/bow type headpiece to the top where the veil starts. The headpiece that I liked is feathers with a rhinestone center, nice and fairly simple. So, today I call and ask what the designers name is the for headpiece. Turns out its made by a fairly unknown designer located her in nyc and I found her website. The store wanted to charge me $300 for something she will sell me for $65. I mean, isn''t that just rediculous!! Ok...I''m done.

meresal

Ideal_Rock
I''m actually really surprised she gave you the designers name. LOL

Lucky you!!

emeraldlover1

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/2/2009 3:58:30 PM
Author: meresal
I'm actually really surprised she gave you the designers name. LOL

Lucky you!!
me too actually. I called today and said my mom was thinking of buying it for me and I'd like to know what the designers name was. I got transfered to about 3 people and finally someone looked it up for me. I guess I got lucky though because most of the hairpiece retailers don't sell to the public however this one does. It helps that she isn't well known. Anyway, I just couldn't believe that price markup. The salon probably makes more money on the piece than she does.

mayachel

Brilliant_Rock
This is a great example of trying to buy direct from small artists/designers whenever possible. For a short period of time I was making hand knit shawls and selling them to a boutique on the lower east side. I''d charge $120...they would sell them for $300, and sell them they did!

honey22

Ideal_Rock
That''s appalling! Just pure and simple greed. Glad you found the designer directly!!

tlh

Ideal_Rock
OMG, that is OUTRAGOUS!
I''d be happy about their little slip up.. and spend the $235 on something else!
9.gif

emeraldlover1

Ideal_Rock
Usually I am all for paying for quality but this just really gets to me. I mean this shop is obviously getting the designers name out there but seriously, $235 more??? I mean, that is just crazy!!! It gives me more faith in designers that are just getting started though.

Mayachel...that is crazy!! Good for you though!

emeraldlover1

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/2/2009 4:27:09 PM
Author: sunnyd

Date: 2/2/2009 4:02:06 PM
Author: emeraldlover1
Oh, and if anyone is interested she has some neat stuff: http://www.artikal.com/bridal.htm#
I''m totally getting this ''illusion pouf''. LOL! She does have neat stuff, really affordable too.
That was totally my first choice. I had to re-read it to see if you were kidding. I actually tried on a Toni Fredrici yesterday that was almost that big. I loved it if I were getting married in a castle but alas its my wedding, not a costume.

sunnyd

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/2/2009 4:29:15 PM

Date: 2/2/2009 4:27:09 PM
Author: sunnyd

Date: 2/2/2009 4:02:06 PM
Oh, and if anyone is interested she has some neat stuff: http://www.artikal.com/bridal.htm#
I''m totally getting this ''illusion pouf''. LOL! She does have neat stuff, really affordable too.
That was totally my first choice. I had to re-read it to see if you were kidding. I actually tried on a Toni Fredrici yesterday that was almost that big. I loved it if I were getting married in a castle but alas its my wedding, not a costume.
Maybe I''ll get the top hat/veil combo too. Mix it up for the reception.

Hahaha!

AmberGretchen

Ideal_Rock
Um...wow
23.gif
That''s completely outrageous - no good at all.

Winks_Elf

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
I laugh when I see the birdcage veils. Most of them can be made for less than $30 and less than an hour''s work.

FoxyBride

Rough_Rock
Well, that's really not just bridal., that's typical retail. Retail mark up is usually anywhere from 100-1000% even in store like Walmart or Target. Those $200-300 jeans cost the retailer about $60. A $60 t-shirt is around $15 direct from the source. (My fiancee owns a clothing store). And let's not even get into the mark up on a pair of shoes! It's outrageous. Think about why a store can sell you something for 60-75% off at the end of the season and still turn a profit; it was overpriced to begin with. Or how they can sell it to retailer like TJ Maxx or Marshall's for 10%-20% of what they would sell it to a consumer for. It's just how that business works.

emeraldlover1

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/2/2009 8:19:32 PM
Author: FoxyBride
Well, that''s really not just bridal., that''s typical retail. Retail mark up is usually anywhere from 100-1000% even in store like Walmart or Target. Those $200-300 jeans cost the retailer about $60. A $60 t-shirt is around $15 direct from the source. (My fiancee owns a clothing store). And let''s not even get into the mark up on a pair of shoes! It''s outrageous. Think about why a store can sell you something for 60-75% off at the end of the season and still turn a profit; it was overpriced to begin with. Or how they can sell it to retailer like TJ Maxx or Marshall''s for 10%-20% of what they would sell it to a consumer for. It''s just how that business works.
This all may be true however most consumers can not go direct to the wholesaler/maker and purchase these items.

lightseeker

Rough_Rock
I don't mean to be "preachy" here, but I can't help intejecting a note of sanity here....the reason that there is mark-up is rent, heat, electricity, wages and benefits, cleaning services, maintanence and upkeep, "shrinkage" (shoplifting), etc, etc, etc.
No one complains when they have a beautiful store to shop in, helpful salespeople, comfortable dressing rooms...it always amazes me that people think all those things are free and that it's wrong to make a profit. If you are employed are you OK with your company dropping it's profits by 50% and cutting your wages by 25% to help cover it?

I am usually pretty mild mannered, but this topic hits a nerve with me. No..I do not own a retail store, but I do work in design and sales and have had my work ripped off by people who felt justified in doing so because they didn't understand how many expenses took a cut of the pie...they just assumed that somebody was making a boatload of money, and it usually isn't true.

Sorry...I guess we all have to rant once in a while..I'm glad you got a good deal...just feel kind of bad that the people who showed it to you got used as a free showroom for someone else who is not paying to maintain a storefront.

What I fear is that soon there won't be any actual stores, because they cannot stay in business being used as free showrooms for online retailers who can sell more cheaply because they do not have the expense of maintaining a beautiful showroom for us to see, touch and try on.

emeraldlover1

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/2/2009 9:41:49 PM
Author: lightseeker
I don''t mean to be ''preachy'' here, but I can''t help intejecting a note of sanity here....the reason that there is mark-up is rent, heat, electricity, wages and benefits, cleaning services, maintanence and upkeep, ''shrinkage'' (shoplifting), etc, etc, etc.
No one complains when they have a beautiful store to shop in, helpful salespeople, comfortable dressing rooms...it always amazes me that people think all those things are free and that it''s wrong to make a profit. If you are employed are you OK with your company dropping it''s profits by 50% and cutting your wages by 25% to help cover it?

Sorry...You just hit a nerve with me. No..I do not own a retail store, but I do work in design and sales and have had my work ripped off by people who felt justified in doing so because they didn''t understand how many expenses took a cut of the pie...they just assumed that somebody was making a boatload of money, and it usually isn''t true.
I think I totally understand what you are talking about except we are talking about a major bridal retailer that has gowns, veils, accessories...everything. The gowns are one thing, I understand that...but seriously a few feathers with some rhinestones on it does not justify a $235 markup. I don''t believe that its wrong to make a profit but seriously, I was there for 15 minutes, did not use a dressing room and the sales person said these are our hairpieces. I''m sorry but I also don''t think I should justify the cost because the store needed to cover shoplifting.

I''m sorry, I just don''t agree here. I have no problem paying the person who made the product for the above items you listed but I have a HUGE problem paying markup on a product that these people didn''t come up with. The store in question did not design the product.

emeraldlover1

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/2/2009 9:41:49 PM
I don''t mean to be ''preachy'' here, but I can''t help intejecting a note of sanity here....the reason that there is mark-up is rent, heat, electricity, wages and benefits, cleaning services, maintanence and upkeep, ''shrinkage'' (shoplifting), etc, etc, etc.
No one complains when they have a beautiful store to shop in, helpful salespeople, comfortable dressing rooms...it always amazes me that people think all those things are free and that it''s wrong to make a profit. If you are employed are you OK with your company dropping it''s profits by 50% and cutting your wages by 25% to help cover it?

I am usually pretty mild mannered, but this topic hits a nerve with me. No..I do not own a retail store, but I do work in design and sales and have had my work ripped off by people who felt justified in doing so because they didn''t understand how many expenses took a cut of the pie...they just assumed that somebody was making a boatload of money, and it usually isn''t true.

Sorry...I guess we all have to rant once in a while..I''m glad you got a good deal...just feel kind of bad that the people who showed it to you got used as a free showroom for someone else who is not paying to maintain a storefront.

What I fear is that soon there won''t be any actual stores, because they cannot stay in business being used as free showrooms for online retailers who can sell more cheaply because they do not have the expense of maintaining a beautiful showroom for us to see, touch and try on.
Do you also feel bad for Tiffany''s because there are a million tiffany replicas out there? I''m pretty sure they are still in business.

Secondly, this person actually does have a showroom and I have an appointment with her to have her actually custom make something for me. So...I''m not sure how that is using a storefront if I''m not actually buying the same design. The point is that she is going to custom make something for me with the same quality at a much lower price. People shop around for prices all the time. How is this different?

lightseeker

Rough_Rock
Emerald Lover - I did not mean to offend you, or denigrate you. I usually try not to post anything negative because it never turns out well.

Let''s just say that you hit a hot button of mine....and I responded too quickly [blame in on being stuck inside with stomach flu all week-end]...OK

I wish you well with all your wedding plans...hope that it''s all you dream it will be!!

bee*

Super_Ideal_Rock
Try living over here! Everything is far cheaper in the US. I''m getting Mori Lee BM dresses and they are €300 over here. I rang RK bridal and they''re €94. So after ordering 3 dresses from RK bridal, paying sales tax and customs I''m still getting 3 dresses for just over the price of one over here. It''s so frustrating
29.gif

emeraldlover1

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/3/2009 12:15:35 AM
Emerald Lover - I did not mean to offend you, or denigrate you. I usually try not to post anything negative because it never turns out well.

Let''s just say that you hit a hot button of mine....and I responded too quickly [blame in on being stuck inside with stomach flu all week-end]...OK

I wish you well with all your wedding plans...hope that it''s all you dream it will be!!
No worries. I don''t think I''d have a problem with it if you didn''t accuse me of using a store and copying someones design. I still don''t understand how buying from the maker is wrong? This happens all the time and why shouldn''t it? People shop arround for the best prices on cars, shoes, houses...everything. If this store wants my business I''d be happy to pay a slight markup....not the rediculous amount they are charging me for. I think what upsets me the most about the this entire situation is that we are talking about bridal, yes, I know it is with everything. However, I still feel that these retailers know how important this day is and just mark everything up.

I don''t mean to harp on this issue because you did explain yourself however many people blantanly copy designs all the time. I am not one of those people. We bought my ring, my dress, my shoes everything at the retial price and I didn''t complain. I feel this situation is different and felt like expressing how wrong I think it is. I also think its wrong that the venue we booked has decided to lower their prices by 5k and not compensate any of the people that are currently booked there. That is a different story but it explains why I personally feel that the bridal markup in general is rediculous and there are retailers/vendors that take advantage of the fact that this is such an important day.

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yay for you for getting it cheaper! I have no problem with some retail markup but almost 4x is just silly.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results