shape
carat
color
clarity

Brian Gavin Sparkle!

seekingdiamond

Rough_Rock
I finally received my Brian Gavin Signature, 1.75ct SI1 H diamond! It came in a spring ring contained in a beautiful wood-paneled display box. Along with the ring was the AGS report, gloves and the hearts and arrows viewer. I picked up the diamond at FedEx today and immediately proceeded to the appraiser nearby in the diamond district in Manhattan, who proceeded to tell me that the ring was extraordinarily well cut, and he thought it was a VS2 G, and not a SI1 H. When I showed him the lab report, he told me that if the diamond was an SI1 H, it was a really good SI1 H. In all, he said I should have paid approximately 40% more than Brian charged me.

Throughout the process, Denise, Lesley and Brian himself were incredibly helpful. I actually spoke to Brian for 30 minutes or so about diamonds and the diamond I was interested in specifically. Very enlightening experience. He explained to me all the nuances of a feather on the side... that I hadn't even asked about and I hadn't even really noticed before he brought it up!

This weekend, I am taking the diamond to my local jeweler who may be providing my setting (haven't yet determined whether I will go custom through Brian Gavin or get a setting from my local jeweler), but they don't really believe me about Brian's ideal cuts. In fact, they said they could order ideals cheaper and better than he could provide. So, we are going to do a showdown of my diamond, some of their ideal cuts and also some of their Hearts on Fire diamonds. I'll be sure to report back with the results!

I don't have a great camera and the setting isn't ready yet, but I still wanted to give you all an impression of just how sparkly this thing is, under normal incandescent lights. Check it out... I'm dying to hear what you think. Don't know if the video can do it justice, but I hope (and think) it at least matches up to the Hearts on Fire diamonds I saw in terms of light performance. Also if you have any questions about Brian Gavin... happy to try to answer them. It was a great experience.

http://img571.imageshack.us/i/vid20100930204601.mp4/

Hopefully this post can help someone in their decision. Pricescope was instrumental in finding the right diamond for my (hopefully) soon-to-be fiancee! Thanks Pricescope!

SparklyOEC

Brilliant_Rock
It looks like an absolutely beautiful diamond! Congrats. I'm not positive, but it looks like the diamond is in a diamond holder as opposed to a ring. The only reason I bring it up is because it shouldn't be worn as a ring as you could lose the diamond.

seekingdiamond

Rough_Rock
SparklyOEC said:
It looks like an absolutely beautiful diamond! Congrats. I'm not positive, but it looks like the diamond is in a diamond holder as opposed to a ring. The only reason I bring it up is because it shouldn't be worn as a ring as you could lose the diamond.

Good point. Maybe I do not know the proper terminology (spring ring vs diamond holder)... but yes the diamond could fall off easily. It's going to live in the display case until I actually get it set.

And that video just cannot do the diamond justice.

For the benefit of posterity, anyone who wants Hearts on Fire sparkle (like me) but wasn't willing to pay the high price for the brand (like me), go for Brian Gavin.

I'll try to post some higher quality glamour shots here when the thing is set. Maybe even a better video. Just trying to contribute back to the body of knowledge here.

athenaworth

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I loooooove videos of diamonds!! So awesome! It's gorgeous, and even though I'm sure it doesn't to it justice, I totally get how wonderful it is.

stci

Ideal_Rock
Wahooooooo! What a beautiful diamond! Congrats for this beauty! :love: :love: :appl:

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Looks gorgeous! Please do keep us posted when you get the ring complete...would love to see final pictures!

sweetpea&babycorn

Brilliant_Rock
oooo pretttyy!! can't wait to see it set and on your hand!

tigian

Ideal_Rock
Gorgeous, gorgeous stone that will make a killer ring. Can't wait to see how your local jeweler reacts! His jaw is going to fall open.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
There's something about seeing your stone loose for the first time.. :sun: Can't wait to see it set!

Tuckins1

Ideal_Rock
The stone looks fabulous!!! Can't wait to see the finished product! :appl:

bebe

Ideal_Rock
I can't wait for the results of the showdown, tee hee. I once tried to do that in a jewelry store that a good friend works in. She was going on and on about the Hearts on Fire. I know they are very nice stones, as are BGD's. I wanted to compare my stone to HoF, I think they are both equals, or very very close. When is this showdown??

Gayletmom

Brilliant_Rock
Wow, your diamond is just beautiful! I can't wait to see how you set it.

Please keep us posted.

agapitor

Shiny_Rock
That's a beauty. I don't know about you but when I got my BGD stone I bawled my eyes out. They are quite the sparkler aren't they.

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Nice stone! :appl:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results