shape
carat
color
clarity

Breaking News: 2nd degree murder charge for Chauvin, 3 others to be charged with abetting murder

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Demon

Brilliant_Rock
If history has taught me anything, it's that you're probably right.

If there's anything we haven't seen that would exonerate the cops (I can't imagine what could - what could exonerate their behavior? - but just putting it out there) then that's one thing. But if the evidence is as we've seen and they aren't convicted, I can't even imagine the riots that are going to happen.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If there's anything we haven't seen that would exonerate the cops (I can't imagine what could - what could exonerate their behavior? - but just putting it out there) then that's one thing. But if the evidence is as we've seen and they aren't convicted, I can't even imagine the riots that are going to happen.
Not from the video that we all seen.

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The people who have the largest stake in this deserve to enjoy the victory in this moment. They have time only to take a small breath and enjoy a brief moment of hope before the next chapter begins.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
And you see, I gave you a like in a political thread. And I'm a lib.
I call it the way I see it. The other 3 cop are just as guilty for standing there do nothing while Chauvin was committing murder.

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think it's very telling that his wife left him at the very first chance she got. I wonder if he was a wife beater too. I've heard that once you get into a marriage with an evil cop there is no getting out ever.

If he was a remotely decent person (obviously he's not but imagine a person with no history who suddenly murdered someone) I doubt the wife would high tail it within days of him being arrested.

Begonia

Ideal_Rock
This whole thing is horrifying. Here's what I can't figure, why did they kneel on him at all? He was restrained the way he was. Try to get up from prone with your hands behind your back, it's damn near impossible. Never mind, don't answer. The intention there was clear, but violence always confuses me.

doberman

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think Chauvin will go to jail, for how long I have no idea. This situation feels different to me; it's upset so many people, and I believe that future generations may see it as a turning point in race relations. Plus, it's all on video, every wretched detail. I don't see how they would let him walk. So I remain cautiously optimistic.

Mjay

Brilliant_Rock
This whole thing is horrifying. Here's what I can't figure, why did they kneel on him at all? He was restrained the way he was. Try to get up from prone with your hands behind your back, it's damn near impossible. Never mind, don't answer. The intention there was clear, but violence always confuses me.

Kneeling is a very common practice used by police to subdue someone who is resisting arrest.Police are trained on how to use this tactic correctly. My husband is in public service and sees our local police using this tactic often.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am glad the charges were upgraded and I am hopeful he will be convicted. IDK about the other officers but I hope they are convicted too as they are (IMO) just as guilty for standing by and letting it happen.

The family will never get true justice however. Their loved one is gone forever and cannot be brought back to life.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Good. Thank goodness. Every time I watch that wretched video - how can you NOT cry? I'm not a mother. I'm younger than him. But listening him call out for his mama - a lifetime in prison would be the bare minimum of justice. His little girl deserves so much better than what her world has handed her :(sad

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Kneeling is a very common practice used by police to subdue someone who is resisting arrest.Police are trained on how to use this tactic correctly. My husband is in public service and sees our local police using this tactic often.

"More than a dozen police officials and law enforcement experts told NBC News that the particular tactic Chauvin used — kneeling on a suspect's neck — is neither taught nor sanctioned by any police agency. A Minneapolis city official told NBC News Chauvin's tactic is not permitted by the Minneapolis police department. For most major police departments, variations of neck restraints, known as chokeholds, are highly restricted — if not banned outright."

Demon

Brilliant_Rock
My concern with the upgraded charge is that it would be more difficult to convict him, and he ends up getting off scot free.

I think they kept the 3rd degree as a possibility.

jaysonsmom

Ideal_Rock

I hope so, because second degree murder varies from jurisdiction to jursdiction, and based on what I'm reading: A charge of second-degree murder requires prosecutors to prove that Chauvin intended to kill Floyd. A charge of third-degree murder in Minnesota means the defendant acted without regard for human life but did not intend to kill.

LemonMoonLex

Ideal_Rock
I hope so, because second degree murder varies from jurisdiction to jursdiction, and based on what I'm reading: A charge of second-degree murder requires prosecutors to prove that Chauvin intended to kill Floyd. A charge of third-degree murder in Minnesota means the defendant acted without regard for human life but did not intend to kill.

Me and my partner were looking at the states exact laws and were thinking the same.
Although i argued that technically if I were a jury member and heard that he muttered out that he couldnt breath as well as bystanders complaining about the same to the officer while he blatantly ignored it that there was a moment where he knew that he was cutting off oxygen to this man....he may not have had intent until the last 4 minutes but Id argue its in there.

Demon

Brilliant_Rock

It is confusing, because I thought I heard that second degree didn't require proof of intent.But I can't be sure I DID hear that.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I hope so b/c it is harder to convict him for 2nd degree murder.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Second-degree murder: According to the Minnesota statute, whoever causes the death of a human being, without intent to effect the death of any person, while committing or attempting to commit a felony offense other than criminal sexual conduct in the first or second degree with force or violence or a drive-by shooting” is guilty of murder in the second degree.

Someone found guilty faces a prison sentence of no more than 40 years.

fluffboll

Rough_Rock
Premium
I can't bear to watch that video - I'd be mentally scarred for life if I did. Just reading about it is excruciating. :(sad

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
No surprises here

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
And you see, I gave you a like in a political thread. And I'm a lib.
This have nothing to do with political. It is about one human being killing another human being. I would still feel the same if it was a black cop killing a white man or any other race.

Demon

Brilliant_Rock
This have nothing to do with political. It is about one human being killing another human being. I would still feel the same if it was a black cop killing a white man or any other race.

I was kidding with you. "shrug"

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I can't bear to watch that video ...

+1

I won't watch things like that.
Even violence and domestic abuse in films has me covering my eyes.

Directors used to prepare viewers with music or some kind of lead up to the violent moment, but no more.
In Pulp Fiction there's a scene where Travolta's character is riding shotgun in the front seat.
He's leaning back over his seat while holding a pistol pointed at the man they'd just kidnapped.
The car hits a bump and the gun accidentally goes off.

The camera now is behind the car so we're looking at the rear window which is instantly splattered with blood and brains.

No warning. :knockout:
IMO Tarantino, the director, broke a 'rule' there.

I'm still haunted by and pissed about that scene. :angryfire:

Seeing violence takes me back to my childhood, witnessing my father being violent to my siblings, mom and me.

Last edited:
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results