shape
carat
color
clarity

Brace Yourself...I Bought a Dress!!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

October2008bride

Brilliant_Rock
Can you believe it?! I had a very long go at trying to find the ''one''. I started out looking in my city, looking at high end (Vera Wang, Melissa Sweet etc), and found ones I liked, but nothing that made me super excited to have it on.

Then I tried more middle of the road dresses (see my last post on dresses) and found ones I liked, but didn''t love.

I tried three custom gown makers (Barbra Allin, Lee Ann Belter and Justina McCaffrey). These were definitely the closest to what I thought I would end up with. While I was generally disappointed with JM, there was one dress I loved (Verona II) but I found the service totally lacking and it was the JM boutique in Toronto...so I had pretty high expectations. Of all of the custom/designers, Lee Ann Belter blew them away. I was pretty sure I''d end up back there.

Until I made the trek to Rochester NY. Bad idea on a long weekend with the Cdn dollar being so strong, but it was the only weekend I had available for another month because of friends'' coming weddings.

Went to three stores...first one had a beautiful gown by Marisa and another from Amsale. Each had something I didn''t LOVE though.

Next store...tried on lots of ''pretty'' dresses, but none that would make it worth driving to Rochester for fittings. Then she said I should try on one that was ''totally different''. It was a Lazaro, trumpet style with lots of beading. I put it on, and almost cried. It was stunning. It was sparkly. It was elegant. I loved it.

It was 5400. It wasn''t just completely different, it was completely out of the budget we''d told her.

That is when the sales lady became a total ''sales'' lady. All of a sudden, she *loved* the simple Vineyards dress I''d tried on first. When I told her we''d think about it and come back after our last appointment, she told me I''d have to order THAT DAY. Ahem...my wedding is next OCTOBER. I told her I didn''t have to order anything that day. She didn'' tlike me anymore I think. I don''t like pressure tactics that I know are false.

So off we went to the last shop. It carried Vera Wang, Romona Keveza, Reem Acra etc.

It was such a nice shop. The woman was so gentle and sweet. She pulled out the first dress. I gasped. I''d seen it online. I''d lusted after it, thinking it would never be my style/look good on me/be in my price range.

I put it on.

I fell in love.

Sigh.

I tried on the others of course just in case. Came back to the one, put it on, looked at my mom. She nodded. I FINALLY CRIED. It was perfect. It was unlike what I thought i''d get, but exactly like what I''d always loved but never thought would be for me.

I put down a deposit, and have absolutely no regrets!!

I am also so happy that I don''t have to dress shop anymore!!! Woo hoo!!

Okay...here it is! (well first I''ll show the nice Marisa that is a copy of a Vera Wang...it was actually very nice but not the one!)

the one I didnt get 65432.JPG

October2008bride

Brilliant_Rock
And here is MY DRESS! It is too big in the bust (which is NUTS - I don''t usually have extra room up top ;-) but that will obviously be adjusted when mine arrives...

Anddd....here it is! The Reem Acra "Adored"!!!!

mine mine finally had the moment mine.JPG

October2008bride

Brilliant_Rock
Another pic...

another picture of the dress I actually bought.JPG

October2008bride

Brilliant_Rock
Another!

5869403-58648back picture.JPG

October2008bride

Brilliant_Rock
And the last one!! Thanks for "listening"!

i love it i love it back shot 2434.JPG

chellebelle

Shiny_Rock
Oh October I am so thrilled for you!!!!
36.gif
I've seen this dress before and it is one of my favorite Reems.... so incredibly gorgeous. And you look AMAZING in it!! You have a killer bod for this dress, I just love the back view (and everything else about it!). The other dresses don't even compare to this one, it flatters you so much. You almost couldn't really tell you had such a cute lil figure under all the other ones you tried on! Anyways, I think you made the perfect choice and you're going to be a beautiful bride.
1.gif
Congrats!

P.S. hehe, I saw some of your picture file names ("mine mine finally had the moment mine", "i love it i love it back shot", etc.) and I can't stop smiling! You are too cute! lol

Sha

Ideal_Rock
Ahhh.. that''s beautiful. Definitely much nicer than the first one too. I love the beadwork on the top.

chinglish

Rough_Rock
You look fantastic in that gown - its so elegant and romantic. I really love that chapel length veil with the simple clean trim - i can see why you had tears!

I''m in Toronto as well, and I agree with assessment of Justina M. service - I''ve been there twice recently and the sales pepeople look bored out of their minds - takes the energy and excitement right out of the room!

Thanksfor sharing your story - I''m currently looking for the dress and its motivating to hear theses happy finds!

Steel

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/7/2007 1:20:57 AM
Author: October2008bride
And the last one!! Thanks for ''listening''!

36.gif

WOWZA!

Great choice; don''t change a thing.

You look Wonderful.

All you need now is a great photographer for the day, I would''t hire the person who took these shots again
31.gif
; they are a bit lopsided!

October2008bride

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 10/7/2007 1:27:32 AM
Author: chellebelle

Oh October I am so thrilled for you!!!!
36.gif
I''ve seen this dress before and it is one of my favorite Reems.... so incredibly gorgeous. And you look AMAZING in it!! You have a killer bod for this dress, I just love the back view (and everything else about it!). The other dresses don''t even compare to this one, it flatters you so much. You almost couldn''t really tell you had such a cute lil figure under all the other ones you tried on! Anyways, I think you made the perfect choice and you''re going to be a beautiful bride.
1.gif
Congrats!

P.S. hehe, I saw some of your picture file names (''mine mine finally had the moment mine'', ''i love it i love it back shot'', etc.) and I can''t stop smiling! You are too cute! lol
Thanks Chelle!! That means a lot! You''ve been great throughout my dress hunt...I can only hope to look as nice as you on my wedding day!!

I''m still so excited...I dreamt about my dress last night. The wedding was totally unorganized, but did I look good or what!

I think that means I''m happy with the dress, but better get organized haha!

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
You look amazing in that dress!!! It''s soooo beautiful, you made a great choice!!!! You must be thrilled!!!
36.gif

October2008bride

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 10/7/2007 11:22:26 AM
Author: Kaleigh
You look amazing in that dress!!! It''s soooo beautiful, you made a great choice!!!! You must be thrilled!!!
36.gif
Thanks Kaleigh!! I am still so excited (granted, it''s only been a day!) I keep staring at the pictures!!

labbielove

Brilliant_Rock
that is a beautiful dress! and it looks great on you.
glad the trip was worth it.
congratulations,
and a small world- i''m in rochester,
wondering where your ''pushy'' sales rep was,
also, if you don''t mind sharing, where did you end up getting the gown?

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
Ohhh how beautiful! Congrats on finding THE dress!!!!
36.gif

October2008bride

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 10/7/2007 12:05:05 PM
Author: labbielove
that is a beautiful dress! and it looks great on you.
glad the trip was worth it.
congratulations,
and a small world- i''m in rochester,
wondering where your ''pushy'' sales rep was,
also, if you don''t mind sharing, where did you end up getting the gown?
I ended up buying the dress from Juliana''s and so far, I have nothing but amazing things to say about them. I dealt with Susan and she was incredible. Not pushy at all, and someone I felt totally comfortable with.

As far as the pushy one, I don''t want to have this post come up if someone googles the store, but the initials are SDB. You will know if you are in Rochester I suppose :) Great dresses, but the pressure definitely turned me off.

Have you been to Juliana''s? So nice!

October2008bride

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 10/7/2007 10:42:49 AM
Author: chinglish
You look fantastic in that gown - its so elegant and romantic. I really love that chapel length veil with the simple clean trim - i can see why you had tears!

I''m in Toronto as well, and I agree with assessment of Justina M. service - I''ve been there twice recently and the sales pepeople look bored out of their minds - takes the energy and excitement right out of the room!

Thanksfor sharing your story - I''m currently looking for the dress and its motivating to hear theses happy finds!
That was exactly my problem there...she just didn''t seem that interested. When I asked for suggestions, she just kept saying "whatever you want" .

The dress I liked there was amazing though...but I think I didn''t love the rest because I don''t love pick ups all that much and almost all the samples there were pick-up style.

Where did you end up getting your dress Chinglish?

October2008bride

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 10/7/2007 10:57:13 AM
Author: Steel

Date: 10/7/2007 1:20:57 AM
Author: October2008bride
And the last one!! Thanks for ''listening''!

36.gif

WOWZA!

Great choice; don''t change a thing.

You look Wonderful.

All you need now is a great photographer for the day, I would''t hire the person who took these shots again
31.gif
; they are a bit lopsided!
I KNOW! When she was taking them, I thought it was so weird, but I think she did it that way to try to fit the entire dress into the picture...That is the only thing I can think would make her do them all crooked like that!

robbie3982

Ideal_Rock
It looks perfect! Congrats!

Joy80

Shiny_Rock
WOW your dress looks amazing!!!! The other dresses you posted did NOTHING for your figure. I had to go back to the other posts because I didnt think that was even you :) All I can say is wow you made a great choice
30.gif

labbielove

Brilliant_Rock
I ended up buying the dress from Juliana''s and so far, I have nothing but amazing things to say about them. I dealt with Susan and she was incredible. Not pushy at all, and someone I felt totally comfortable with.

As far as the pushy one, I don''t want to have this post come up if someone googles the store, but the initials are SDB. You will know if you are in Rochester I suppose :) Great dresses, but the pressure definitely turned me off.

Have you been to Juliana''s? So nice![/quote]

Nope, I''ve never been to Juliana''s but have heard really good things. I am glad it is not another "J" store in the area, but enough said. And yes, I know the store where they were pushy- I have been there many times as a bridesmaid and once as a bride and have never been treated well, although I know a couple of brides that have, so to each their own.

Thanks for the info- and again- YAY for finding "the" dress
36.gif
36.gif

chinglish

Rough_Rock
Yea JM had a sample sale this past weekend,I happened to be around there for brunch so we stopped by - the boring sales people were there and the dresses were all pickup styles

I haven''t gotten my dress yet - I have a top three choice so far, a Vera Wang flowy empire waist organza style, Melissa Sweet''s Dora, and Lea-Ann Belter''s Kaitlyn.
They all made me smile
30.gif
and warm in my tummy - but the prices on the first two brings that warm feeling to a bit of a chilliness!
20.gif

Do you mind telling me what other stores you went to in Rochester? My mom is coming to visit me in a couple weeks and I''m wondering if I should check out across the border - since our dollar is so strong too!
SDB carries Melissa Sweet and I wanted to try Theodora.
Did Juliana''s carry a lot of the flowy Reem Acra styles?

October2008bride

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 10/7/2007 1:35:12 PM
Author: chinglish
Yea JM had a sample sale this past weekend,I happened to be around there for brunch so we stopped by - the boring sales people were there and the dresses were all pickup styles

I haven''t gotten my dress yet - I have a top three choice so far, a Vera Wang flowy empire waist organza style, Melissa Sweet''s Dora, and Lea-Ann Belter''s Kaitlyn.
They all made me smile
30.gif
and warm in my tummy - but the prices on the first two brings that warm feeling to a bit of a chilliness!
20.gif

Do you mind telling me what other stores you went to in Rochester? My mom is coming to visit me in a couple weeks and I''m wondering if I should check out across the border - since our dollar is so strong too!
SDB carries Melissa Sweet and I wanted to try Theodora.
Did Juliana''s carry a lot of the flowy Reem Acra styles?
I have to run, so I''ll come back later with more info on the Rochester stores, but my advice is to definitely NOT buy VW or MS in Toronto. MEGA price differences in the states. Example. Mila is 5400 in Canada, and 3600 in the states!! And with our dollar?! Yikes!

However, I have a soft spot for Lee Ann Belter. I love the store, the people, the gowns, and I price compared to the states and the prices were bang on. PLUS they included the fact it was custom and all the alterations.

Back later!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
That is a stunning dress, and it looks FABULOUS on you! Congrats honey!

simplysplendid

Brilliant_Rock
It is a beautiful gown and it really suits you well!

Sabine

Ideal_Rock
Wow! The back of your dress is just gorgeous!

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Congrats, I think it is very elegant and beautiful!!!

sera

Ideal_Rock
Your dress is SO beautiful! I love the beadwork and the back is amazing... and it''s a very flattering style for you.

FacetFire

Brilliant_Rock
You look stunning in that dress! I can''t even believe how great it looks! SO much better than the first one you posted. And that low back...va va voom! :)

October2008bride

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 10/7/2007 2:53:45 PM
Author: simplysplendid
It is a beautiful gown and it really suits you well!
Thanks!! I''m really excited about it!

October2008bride

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 10/7/2007 6:13:11 PM
Author: Sabine
Wow! The back of your dress is just gorgeous!
Oh I love the back! Not just the low part but I love the beading and the bustle bits...

I just love the fact that there is a good back view for the looong aisle that I have to walk down!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results