shape
carat
color
clarity

Bow tie effect opinions please

Indfireguy

Rough_Rock
Hi there, I just received my ring from BN yesterday. I must say I did all my homework on oval diamonds. The parameters are top notch. .73 carat. IF clarity. G colour. No fluorescence or culet. Length to width 1.43. Excellent symmetry and polish. Depth, table in the excellent category. I loved the stone from the actual pics on BN website. I was worried about the bow tie effect as of course it’s not provide or graded. It did not look bad at all from actual BN 360 view. I even reached out and had them go to the vault manager and provide me a grade. Was told from the vault manager 1 being none and 5 being obvious it was rated a 2. Minimal. So I purchased the stone and setting.

Because I guess I was looking for it I saw the bow tie right away. I’ve seen lots of pics online. And for sure there is thicker darker bow ties out there. I still think my partner will love the ring. I’m a little torn on if this is minimal or not. It does sparkle like crazy. I’d like to believe that my homework paid off, and the cut optimized all the facets properly. I do expect some bow tie in an oval. Just not sure because I was anticipating the arrival, and knowing it would be the first thing I’d look at if I was mislead?Please share honest opinions. Is this a minimal 2 out of 5. I’ll attach pics in a 1x, 5x, 10x zoom. All pics take on an iPhone next to an led light.
thanks so much. DBDEA582-E032-4EE5-8F5C-0040731D0A42.jpeg E0009C7A-3DE4-4EDE-96AA-3F0FA3447FD7.jpeg 4DAFD574-1CE9-4117-973D-88D141022409.jpeg C9326D49-F23D-444D-8D0D-D472D954B0C7.jpeg 48874D04-589C-4044-9E55-1F107B7A0435.jpeg

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Your photos show the bow tie, but all your images appear to be from one lighting scenario. Go out into some sunlight, or go to a room with simply different lighting and look again at the stone. The bow tie effect will alter with the lighting angles and the kind of direct or indirect lighting that is going on. The darkness of the bow tie may be from the obstruction of lighting you or your camera is making. Look without the camera having any effect on what light strikes the stone. You will find there will be changes that might make you more assured and pleased.

Indfireguy

Rough_Rock
I did take it out in the sun. I couldn’t actually see a bow tie at all. Mind you, outside the sparkle was less. It was rather cloudy.
inside under led lighting it sparkles like crazy, and shows that bow tie I posted.

LittleKite

Shiny_Rock
I can see bow tie, but it may come from camera or your head.
Do you have the link of the original 360 view?

Indfireguy

Rough_Rock
I can see bow tie, but it may come from camera or your head.
Do you have the link of the original 360 view?

Isn’t that where the bowtie comes from, Shadow cast from head and shoulders? I’ll post link. Not sure if it will work now that’s it’s purchased. I definitely acknowledge a bow tie, as all ovals come with one from what I understand. I was mainly concerned with confirming, and opinions on of the forum community agrees with vault manager. 1 being none 5 being obvious. He rates it as a 2 minimal. Those words sealed the deal, and I bought it.

meesmom

Brilliant_Rock
Hi there, I just received my ring from BN yesterday. I must say I did all my homework on oval diamonds. The parameters are top notch. .73 carat. IF clarity. G colour. No fluorescence or culet. Length to width 1.43. Excellent symmetry and polish. Depth, table in the excellent category. I loved the stone from the actual pics on BN website. I was worried about the bow tie effect as of course it’s not provide or graded. It did not look bad at all from actual BN 360 view. I even reached out and had them go to the vault manager and provide me a grade. Was told from the vault manager 1 being none and 5 being obvious it was rated a 2. Minimal. So I purchased the stone and setting.

Because I guess I was looking for it I saw the bow tie right away. I’ve seen lots of pics online. And for sure there is thicker darker bow ties out there. I still think my partner will love the ring. I’m a little torn on if this is minimal or not. It does sparkle like crazy. I’d like to believe that my homework paid off, and the cut optimized all the facets properly. I do expect some bow tie in an oval. Just not sure because I was anticipating the arrival, and knowing it would be the first thing I’d look at if I was mislead?Please share honest opinions. Is this a minimal 2 out of 5. I’ll attach pics in a 1x, 5x, 10x zoom. All pics take on an iPhone next to an led light.
thanks so much. DBDEA582-E032-4EE5-8F5C-0040731D0A42.jpeg E0009C7A-3DE4-4EDE-96AA-3F0FA3447FD7.jpeg 4DAFD574-1CE9-4117-973D-88D141022409.jpeg C9326D49-F23D-444D-8D0D-D472D954B0C7.jpeg 48874D04-589C-4044-9E55-1F107B7A0435.jpeg

I have no knowledge of bowties, but this is a seriously gorgeous ring!!! :kiss2: Lucky fiance!!

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This stone looks to be an 8 main. Just like you will see the black arrows on a round brilliant in certain lighting, you will see the black arrow that
goes across the center of your oval in certain lighting.

This is what the back of your stone looks like (if it is an 8 main like I suspect)

Capture.PNG

I think its a pretty nice looking oval but if it bothers you, you can hunt for another one. Bow-ties are somewhat relative so I can see why BN gave
it a two on a scale of 5. Can you post some pictures with the camera further away from the ring? I really like that setting with an oval.

Indfireguy

Rough_Rock
This stone looks to be an 8 main. Just like you will see the black arrows on a round brilliant in certain lighting, you will see the black arrow that
goes across the center of your oval in certain lighting.

This is what the back of your stone looks like (if it is an 8 main like I suspect)

Capture.PNG

I think its a pretty nice looking oval but if it bothers you, you can hunt for another one. Bow-ties are somewhat relative so I can see why BN gave
it a two on a scale of 5. Can you post some pictures with the camera further away from the ring? I really like that setting with an oval.

Thanks very much. I appreciate your reply, and opinion. I’ll have to post pics a bit later. It’s currently stashed in the room and the gf is home. Lol.

Sorry yes all pics were with the iPhone. I zoomed to 5x and 10x on two pics. The one in box is at 1x. No zoom. I also had a very bright led light next to it. I did post the link to BN 360 view in reply above. Not sure if it works once it’s purchased.

Would you concur with vault manager from these pics than ? 1 none. 5 obvious. This was rated a 2 minimal?

I loved the setting as well. It came down to that one. And a closely related one from BE. This one won out, mainly due to the centre stone meeting all my criteria for excellent under every category. Not to mention the IF clarity was a nice touch I thought.

Morenita21

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks very much. I appreciate your reply, and opinion. I’ll have to post pics a bit later. It’s currently stashed in the room and the gf is home. Lol.

Sorry yes all pics were with the iPhone. I zoomed to 5x and 10x on two pics. The one in box is at 1x. No zoom. I also had a very bright led light next to it. I did post the link to BN 360 view in reply above. Not sure if it works once it’s purchased.

Would you concur with vault manager from these pics than ? 1 none. 5 obvious. This was rated a 2 minimal?

I loved the setting as well. It came down to that one. And a closely related one from BE. This one won out, mainly due to the centre stone meeting all my criteria for excellent under every category. Not to mention the IF clarity was a nice touch I thought.

Best way is to take it outside or in indirect sunlight and take a video of the stone. Move it around in different directions slowly. Upload the video - that will give us a better idea. I have an antique moval and I too hate bowties, but I was able to find one that was perfect for me (it’s in my avatar).

diamondsR4eVR

Brilliant_Rock
That’s a pretty stone and I love the setting. I agree with others, more photos needed.

Indfireguy

Rough_Rock
That’s a pretty stone and I love the setting. I agree with others, more photos needed.
Thank you. Appreciate the opinion. I think I just needed to spend a bit more time with the ring. So the previous photos are all from the same angle holding an led lamp next to it. I’m pretty confident calling it minimal or a 2 based on that seems to be the only angle I notice it. And it’s not extremely dark or thick.
I looked at it in different angles, and lights, and brought it outside. Cloudy. But I’ll upload the pics. Pardon my ugly fingers. Lol. I must say I hardly noticed a bowtie in most other angles and light. Just loads of sparkle. However still appreciate the feedback. 006DF100-C8D8-4D3C-8513-D2627F84D5A2.jpeg 1C99DB95-1CEA-47F8-8FF0-6C1A3402A619.jpeg 051F7892-32D2-4F2C-90FB-F7193EA2625B.jpeg 8C741AB4-0421-47E2-A4B6-F565739E21A5.jpeg 84704CBA-D365-4AC4-8B5E-CC40671F3B3E.jpeg 5F9C1BA9-8193-403B-BA9C-C8EFE4E91FF9.jpeg B53CB816-0E91-4021-9F1B-D3B46A50E093.jpeg 35317D54-F070-42FD-A6C0-90D36CDA3148.jpeg 006DF100-C8D8-4D3C-8513-D2627F84D5A2.jpeg

diamondnewbieny

Brilliant_Rock
It looks pretty good to me!

Morenita21

Brilliant_Rock
It’s a very beautiful ring. The bow tie is so minimal and depends on the angle (like most ovals). I’m sure she will love it!

gregchang35

Ideal_Rock
diamond and ring looks amazing. yes - lighting will play a role with what you see.
however, with ovals, there is def going to be some bowties. rarely you will see one without it. I believe that elyque (sp??) are the only ovals that i believe have been created to eliminate the bowtie.

how do you feel about the stone now?

Indfireguy

Rough_Rock
Thank you! I feel I just need to see in other lights and angles. I barely notice it. And I guess when your up close to bright led lighting if that’s what my partner will see. Well.... it is minimal in my eyes. I love it. I believe she will too. I think it was cut very well. It sparkles like crazy. I’m glad I reached out in this forum. All the kind words and opinions definitely help put my mind at ease.

LittleKite

Shiny_Rock
I love the stone and the ring. It is so beautiful. You have a great taste!

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think it's beautiful @Indfireguy ::)

Think of no-bowtie faceting as a six pack on a girl.
Do some guys love the look? For sure.
But is it for everyone? No. Some like curves.
"Bowtie" gets a bad rep on here but IMO it's a very common and natural part of looking at an oval. And yours is not intrusive at all. Nothing to denounce!

alittlelight

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I think the bow tie seems very minimal in most lights and angles. It is very very beautiful!

Missie1

Brilliant_Rock
I think it looks good. I currently have Oval and the bowtie is so minimal that no one other than myself notices it. All anyone says is how amazing my ring is.

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That ring is gorgeous! The bow looks very minimal to me. As others have said, most ovals have at least a slight one. You put together a beautiful ring!

Indfireguy

Rough_Rock
That ring is gorgeous! The bow looks very minimal to me. As others have said, most ovals have at least a slight one. You put together a beautiful ring!

Thank you. Much appreciated

WillyDiamond

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I am no expert on ovals or most other rings, it looks like a beautiful stone and setting. If your fiancé knows nothing about bow ties, then my advice is to shut your mouth, propose, and live a happy life.

Indfireguy

Rough_Rock
Thank you. She knows a little. But I don’t plan to point it out. But as previous mentioned. Unless we’re sitting up close to powerful led lights, in normal lighting and outdoors, where I took pics from different angles I barely noticed it. Most angles it’s not even present. I’m more confident than ever that it is a very minimal bowtie. Concur with 1 being none. 5 being obvious as the vault manager stayed. It would be a 2 minimal. 98% of people that have commented in this forum and another tend to agree. So a happy life we shall live. Hahaha

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
make a video and post it to youtube or somewhere.
rock the diamond back and forward in the north south orientation - then left and right.
Tell us the distance to phone or camera and colour and size of phone.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results