shape
carat
color
clarity

Botox?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Ann

Brilliant_Rock
anyone done it?

I was all hyped and ready to try it, then I read a forum (iEnhance) and there were some
frightening stories on there about bad Botox.

Of course I would go to a top notch Derm here in Houston (Dr. Suzanne Bruce) and would ask for a conservative
round. I really only want it in the space between my brows and maybe a few lines in my forehead.

I''d love to hear any experiences, good or bad.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

......not yet! One of my close friends had Botox injections over a 2 year period, because she was disliked what she called "always looking angry". Frankly I never really noticed, but when she pointed it out, there was an absence of those "brow creases".

For her, she said it took at least two injections (months apart) for her to even notice a difference. She kept it up for two years, but then tired of upkeep. She had no ill effects and her injections were done by a reputable Derm in the city whom I am familiar with.

I would also consider this procedure.

cheers--Sharon

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My only "real life" experience with it is one of my clients. For weeks my husband and I kept looking at her going "geez, there's something *wrong* there, but we just don't know what." Turns out she might be a little botox happy. Her frozen forehead allows for NO EXPRESSION WHATSOEVER. Plus, I'm not sure she actually blinks, LOL.

Ann, maybe there are different degrees of dosages that you can get? If so, I would say start out lower and go higher, if you know what I mean.

(Please don't take this in any negative way; I'm sure whatever you choose to do will be fine, but maybe explore the what the actual outcome will before you truly sign up.)

dtnyc

Brilliant_Rock
I have considered it but I am too wimpy and consider myself a little young (I am 30) to start down that road.

I have what I like to call slight Luke Perry lines in my forehead- wouldn''t want inbetween my brows. My problem is that I wrinkle my forehead and now there are small creases there.

My derm said he wouldn''t give it to me... yet.
I have told my DH I want it for my 35th b-day.

Have you tried frownies? they are this lo-tech version of botox- like construction paper stickers you adhere to your forehead before you go to bed. I am just not diligent enough to use them on a regular basis.

Ann

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/5/2007 9:23:19 PM
Author: Dee*Jay
My only ''real life'' experience with it is one of my clients. For weeks my husband and I kept looking at her going ''geez, there''s something *wrong* there, but we just don''t know what.'' Turns out she might be a little botox happy. Her frozen forehead allows for NO EXPRESSION WHATSOEVER. Plus, I''m not sure she actually blinks, LOL.

Ann, maybe there are different degrees of dosages that you can get? If so, I would say start out lower and go higher, if you know what I mean.

(Please don''t take this in any negative way; I''m sure whatever you choose to do will be fine, but maybe explore the what the actual outcome will before you truly sign up.)
LMAO ! She may not blink, huh?

This is what I don''t want of course.

Getting old is hell and I hate it! How''s that? ha ha!

It''s odd how all the sudden you just start seeing stuff on your face,
but by then it''s too freakin'' late. I know I look young for my age, but I''d like to keep
it like that for as long as I can. But I think it''s starting to catch up with me.

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ann, I know what you mean. I''m 36 and the other night the happy hubby and I were out to dinner at this place with *weird* lighting (translation: every woman''s diamonds looked GREAT, every woman''s face... did not...). At some point the HH made the comment that it was amazing that I have no wrinkles around my eyes at all. Honestly, I''ve never thought about it in the least, but now I''m obsessed with it. I rushed out the next day and bought some eye cream becuase now that I know he''s looking I don''t want to get any, LOL!

Ann

Brilliant_Rock
dtnyc - I have Frownies, but I''m horrible about using them. I''m half way afraid they will leave
some kind of marks on my forehead! But thanks for reminding me, I ''ll try again now that I''m
more determined than ever to fight this.

Dee Jay, this this eveing I bought some of those eye moisturizer strips from the DHC catalog. They also had neck strips!
Bought those too! And something called Eye Bright, a firming and cooling treatment.

Last summer, I treated myself to 4 days of spa treatments in Scottsdale and one of my facial treatments was
a collagen mask. I wish I could find something like that, that I could do for myself.

I''m declaring war!

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
I am such a baby when it come to this stuff. I have not too many wrinkles so luckily I have not had to think too much about it. But I have also heard horror stories. It is not a permanent thing, but the I am not sure the nerve damage, if they make a mistake during the injection, is temporary too. It kinda grosses me out to inject any type of botulism in me. There is a lot of research now about the medical and not the cosmetic uses which is interesting. I just cannot bring myself to do it, and since I do not really need it yet that is good. I would never say never but now it is not likely. I also have seen people who maybe use toooo much, and their faces DO NOT MOVE which is not pretty. It is nice to be able to make some sort of facial expression. My sister had way too much and her face is permanently in one position...weird looking if you ask me.

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
dtney, PS, there is research that says do it BEFORE you have the wrinkles so it acts more as a preventative...the wrinkles do not get a chance to form in the first place..

Ann

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/5/2007 9:50:55 PM
Author: diamondfan
I am such a baby when it come to this stuff. I have not too many wrinkles so luckily I have not had to think too much about it. But I have also heard horror stories. It is not a permanent thing, but the I am not sure the nerve damage, if they make a mistake during the injection, is temporary too. It kinda grosses me out to inject any type of botulism in me. There is a lot of research now about the medical and not the cosmetic uses which is interesting. I just cannot bring myself to do it, and since I do not really need it yet that is good. I would never say never but now it is not likely. I also have seen people who maybe use toooo much, and their faces DO NOT MOVE which is not pretty. It is nice to be able to make some sort of facial expression. My sister had way too much and her face is permanently in one position...weird looking if you ask me.
I have read in the hands of a skilled Derm, it can be done to look natural. I''ve often wondered about all the major news anchors and morning show hosts, who has and who hasn''t. I think Diane Sawyer looks fantastic for her age, but I wonder if she has done anything?
I am about 70% not doing it. But I keep reading how great it is. I would be so ticked if my face was damaged or frozen in some position!

Sundial

Ideal_Rock
I thought about it, but I finally decided that even if I did it and it turned out well it still won''t make me look 20 again. I just don''t think I''m willing to mess with all the upkeep and the chance something might go wrong.

ladykemma

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/5/2007 9:23:19 PM
Author: Dee*Jay
My only ''real life'' experience with it is one of my clients. For weeks my husband and I kept looking at her going ''geez, there''s something *wrong* there, but we just don''t know what.'' Turns out she might be a little botox happy. Her frozen forehead allows for NO EXPRESSION WHATSOEVER. Plus, I''m not sure she actually blinks, LOL.

(Please don''t take this in any negative way; I''m sure whatever you choose to do will be fine, but maybe explore the what the actual outcome will before you truly sign up.)
hahahaha i wrote a semi snarky post last night saying the same thing, but hit cancel after thinking better of it.

you guys know that you are getting injected with botulism toxin?

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
i just cannot understand the fascination with this process....knowingly getting injected with a known deadly toxin?! now if it was chemo theraphy it would be one thing.....for instance my cebastian cat gets e coli as part of his chemo process for cancer. but how many times have we been told something is approved for use and is safe and then some years down the line told that it is not safe? but i guess its each to their own. personally, i''ve lived the face i have and i intend to keep it.

movie zombie

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
The botulism is not active in botox, but the thought is still gross to me. There are also other treatments, collagen and restalyn, I am not sure what all the differences are, but maybe they are better? I am not sure. I just mentally cannot deal. Watch a few episodes of Dr. 90210...more than you want to see about the procedures involved!

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
I''m 33 and really want it...mostly b/c I''m frowning a lot and also am tired of that "always angry" expression LOL

Beacon

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/6/2007 11:20:52 AM
The botulism is not active in botox, but the thought is still gross to me. There are also other treatments, collagen and restalyn, I am not sure what all the differences are, but maybe they are better? I am not sure. I just mentally cannot deal. Watch a few episodes of Dr. 90210...more than you want to see about the procedures involved!

OMG Dr. 90210 completely freaks me out. Utter morbid fascination. Convinced me to love what I''ve got!

I don''t think Botox will do you much harm provided it is delivered in the hands of a highly skilled doctor. No shortcuts on that stuff!! Agree w/ DeeJay, start with a little and see how it goes. You can always come back for more. Beats waiting out a six month "frozen" face!

If it''s just for scowl lines you could try some homemade biofeedback. Tape some scotch tape on your forehead where you scowl while you are doing phone calls (or something where others won''t see you). You''ll feel it each time your forehead moves and learn not to do that.

I actually did this when I was young. Yes, I am quite crazy! But it seems to have worked. I don''t make those angry lines on my face.

Good luck!

katebar

Brilliant_Rock
I have been having Botox to the frown line between my eyebrows on and off for 10 years. I first did it because I was fed up with looking angry as I was always frowning due to study and mother juggling and this vertical line was there permanantly.
I am fairly ambivalent about it now and can go a year without getting it done. I guess the reason is that the lines have 'faded' overtime because the muscle has stopped being 'used' for long periods and like any muscle it must atrophy from disuse.
I have had it once to my eye corner but hated big time. It looked extremely weird and I prefer a face that 'moves".
Lots of my friends have the 'whole' face even the corners of the mouth but whilst they are happy with this it is not what I am looking for.
I have only ever had one side effect (The dreaded droop of one eye
6.gif
) but that lasted a week and was not a big deal.
Look, it not a pleasant procedure but its tolerable. It is expensive but a colleague of my husband' s gives me "Mates rates".

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
I guess I have just seen people who over botox, including my sister. NO facial expressions at all, and a frozen look. Just creepy to me. If done minimally, maybe it is fine, I just cannot get myself to deal with the needles in the face. What if I jump as it is being injected? I know it is also off label being used for migraines, which I suffer greatly from, but still, no go for me...

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
Yes, I think the key is just a little....I think the closer you get to the eye, the more of a problem with droopy eyes you may have....I think a little between the eyes but not around the eye will be fab! What's the deal with pricing?

flutterby

Brilliant_Rock
one of my good friends gets botox in her forehead. she is 31, she did it for vanity reasons, but it took away her behind the eye headaches!!

dtnyc

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/5/2007 9:52:38 PM
dtney, PS, there is research that says do it BEFORE you have the wrinkles so it acts more as a preventative...the wrinkles do not get a chance to form in the first place..
yes- I know that some say that it can be used as a preventative- I have never seen any real "research" that says this though. While I am tempted it''s not cheap and I figure a couple rounds of the ''tox as I call it = a pair of stud earrings and the earrings I would have forever while the ''tox would wear off.

Along the same lines of the "research" that says you should start before you get wrinkles, I have also heard anecdotal evidence that getting it done too early can result in the muscles in the surrounding non-treated areas to overcompensate and then the parts of your face that you don''t get done end up wrinkling more. This has actually be documented and I think some people call it "bunny nose" because when people can''t move their eyebrows they wiggle their nose and end up getting a crease above their nose that is totally weird looking.

I am fascinated by plastic surgeryt! My first job @ 14 was answering the phone in a plastic/hand surgeon''s office. My dad is a family physician and it was a colleague of his who thought I had good phone manners & his secretary wanted one day off a week for the summer. Granted this was more than 15 years ago so a lot of the v. popular non-invasive procedures (injectables, peels, microderm, etc) weren''t around, but I read EVERYTHING I could get my hands on about the hardcore stuff- face-lifts, rhinoplasty etc. Totally grossed myself out of having my nose done, even though I broke it in an accident when I was 7 and it would have been covered by insurance- my profile is fine, but it sort of flattened the bridge of my nose. The dr. I worked for actually stitched me up after the accident but after reading the brochures in his office I couldn''t do it!

Cind11

Brilliant_Rock
A good friend of mine has had Botox once between her eyebrows. She was really happy with it. She was going to do it again only to find out that the Derm doesn''t carry it anymore due to "liability" reasons. Hmm. I''d like to have Restylane or something in my laugh lines. I''m 47 and I only noticed in the last year that they''ve been bothering me. (mostly on one side) But I''m paranoid to have it done, and not sure I want to pay a lot of money every few months to keep it up. Anyone ever had Restylane? I guess I should be glad that it look me until age 46 to start notcing some "things"-lol. Getting older for a woman is hell I think.

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
dtnyc, I just read an article in British Elle saying it does work preventatively according to the research there...they took twins, and gave one botox starting in her 20''s and the other got nothing and in the years since, the one who got the botox did not get the wrinkles and looked a lot better and younger. It was a holiday issue from the hairdressers with Kylie Minogue on the cover if you are interested...

dtnyc

Brilliant_Rock
I think I know the issue you are talking about- I don''t have it, but might look for it. I don''t know if one article in Elle is going to sway me, considering there has been a lot written about getting it and then needing more to prevent more wrinkles in the other parts of the face (like the Rabbit nose aka scrunch lines.)

For now I will try to be better w/ my frownies and keep putting on the broad-spectrum sunblock everyday!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results