shape
carat
color
clarity

Both pilots are dead, now YOU must land the 737. Here's how:

jaysonsmom

Ideal_Rock
Re: Both pilots are dead, now YOU must land the 737. Here's

They really DO make videos for everything!
I'm going to have to watch this tutorial at least ONE more time before I can land a plane! Thanks Kenny :wavey:
Hope I never have to use this.

lambskin

Ideal_Rock
Premium

If you land the plane will the airline:

give you double mileage points;
charge you for the upgrade to the front of the plane;
give you a free drink coupon for your next flight;
award you with those plastic wing pins;
make you pay for taking an extra seat;
contact your insurance company to see if it would reimburse the airlines for any body damage; or.....

purplesparklies

Brilliant_Rock

It is disturbing that this much detailed information about how to take control of a commercial aircraft is available.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

purplesparklies|1455244915|3989969 said:
It is disturbing that this much detailed information about how to take control of a commercial aircraft is available.

I don't find it disturbing at all. In fact, I find it enlightening and it makes me more inclined to fly knowing that this information is out there for the average flier. I understand why some might find it disturbing, though. It need not be.

My dad was a helicopter pilot in Vietnam. He taught me how to drive a truck when I was 12. Taught my brother how to drive a tractor when he was even younger. Many people learn mechanics and physics at a young age, even before they take lessons in public schools or private schools etc. Chew on that for a second. We did not have youtube or internet back then, even though computers had been around for decades.

I can count on both hands and both feet how many pilots I know who would willingly share all of this type of knowledge with anyone, reason being the majority's safety. Wouldn't you rather more people were armed with knowledge of what to do in a situation in which SOMEONE needed to step up and get into the cockpit and fly the damn plane, than keeping everyone ignorant and just letting the plane go down with everyone in it?

Purplesparklies, I seriously think your logic is flawed on this one. Terrorists obviously already know how to take control of and fly planes. Ain't no stopping that train.

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium

lambskin|1455244283|3989963 said:

contact your insurance company to see if it would reimburse the airlines for any body damage; or.....

:lol:

purplesparklies

Brilliant_Rock

monarch64 said:
purplesparklies|1455244915|3989969 said:

I don't find it disturbing at all. In fact, I find it enlightening and it makes me more inclined to fly knowing that this information is out there for the average flier. I understand why some might find it disturbing, though. It need not be.

My dad was a helicopter pilot in Vietnam. He taught me how to drive a truck when I was 12. Taught my brother how to drive a tractor when he was even younger. Many people learn mechanics and physics at a young age, even before they take lessons in public schools or private schools etc. Chew on that for a second. We did not have youtube or internet back then, even though computers had been around for decades.

I can count on both hands and both feet how many pilots I know who would willingly share all of this type of knowledge with anyone, reason being the majority's safety. Wouldn't you rather more people were armed with knowledge of what to do in a situation in which SOMEONE needed to step up and get into the cockpit and fly the damn plane, than keeping everyone ignorant and just letting the plane go down with everyone in it?

Purplesparklies, I seriously think your logic is flawed on this one. Terrorists obviously already know how to take control of and fly planes. Ain't no stopping that train.

We can agree to disagree. I don't think that makes your logic flawed. Rather, your viewpoint is different. Rational people recognize that others can have a different opinion without one being wrong. As to learning to drive automobiles and tractors at a young age, I don't need to "chew on that one". I too learned early, as did most I know.

My husband is a pilot, although just as a hobby. He went through the program and we know quite a few professional pilots. Those I know are concerned that information like this is widely disseminated. Yes, suppose it could potentially be beneficial but the odds are slim. Yes, terrorists already know and have received training. However, there are many who are not trained terrorists who are unbalanced, mentally ill amateurs looking to make news headlines. Those are the individuals who concern me. People aren't allowed to take photos inside a cockpit or even outside of the airplane because of security concerns. I wanted to take a photo of my son on his first flight. Plane would have been in the backdrop. I was told absolutely not.

The average person is not going to view videos of this type with any intent to retain this information to the extent that it will be useful in the event of a catastrophe. Unless one purposefully makes a serious study of the information, likelihood of being able to recall such crucial information under extreme stress is slim to none.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

IMO you're both right in that the knowledge taught here could be used for good or bad.

Personally, after seeing this video I now can imagine flying/landing a jet.
Each step made sense.
Of course I have not memorized everything but I have the confidence to at least take the seat, knowing the air traffic controller could talk me through everything.

Before the video never in a million years would I have considered taking that seat ... and the alternative is crashing. :knockout:

The main thing is selecting the best person on the plane to fly it home.
That would be difficult and would have to happen quickly.
I'd want someone very intelligent but with good judgement and ability to stay calm under unimaginable stress ... oh and sober too. :mrgreen:

Also, this 'training' isn't exactly new.
There have been flight simulator games since there have been home PCs.
It's just that this one seems to be so authentic, and introduces the plausibility of a regular person flying a commercial jet.

Bonfire

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Lol! My husband who is a senoir B-737 captain at a major airline watched this and said it was a great video if you are already a 737 pilot.
However, the average person off the street would be totally overwhelmed by all of the displays, lights, switches, knobs, etc.
The cockpit of a jetliner is a very fast moving, dynamic, three dimensional environment in which even rated pilots would be challenged without specific training in the aircraft type. :read: A nonpilot would not stand a chance. Fun video though!

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Bonfire|1455303204|3990246 said:
Lol! My husband who is a senoir B-737 captain at a major airline watched this and said it was a great video if you are already a 737 pilot.
However, the average person off the street would be totally overwhelmed by all of the displays, lights, switches, knobs, etc.
The cockpit of a jetliner is a very fast moving, dynamic, three dimensional environment in which even rated pilots would be challenged without specific training in the aircraft type. :read: A nonpilot would not stand a chance. Fun video though!

Thanks for posting his insight.

I agree most people couldn't do it, and few would/should attempt it.
But since, apparently, auto-pilot can't land the jet it would fly on auto-pilot till it ran out of fuel, then crash. :knockout:

Since the alternative is crashing I hope one person (the best one) takes the controls and gives it a go.

What'ya got to lose?

Bonfire

Ideal_Rock
Premium

kenny|1455304504|3990251 said:

Thanks for posting his insight.

I agree most people couldn't do it, and few would/should attempt it.
But since, apparently, auto-pilot can't land the jet you'd fly on auto-pilot till you ran out of fuel, then crash.

Since the alternative is crashing I hope one person (the best one) takes the controls and gives it a go.

What'ya got to lose?

Kenny, the good news is that there is a good possibility there would be a pilot on board deadheading or commuting to work.
Btw, you can autoland a B-737-800 but you have to know how to program the autopilot which requires a lot of steps in the proper sequence. ;-) :o

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Thanks Bonfire.

I wonder if some day they will develop the technology to fly planes remotely, from the ground ... just for this rare but possible scenario.

Bonfire

Ideal_Rock
Premium

You know Kenny, I've wondered the same thing! Future technology minimizing human factors.
That's a whole other thread!

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock

Kenny mentioned finding the right person to fly the plane home, and all I could think was "I'm not a pilot but I did stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night" and "Quick, somebody pull it up on youtube!"

iLander

Ideal_Rock

lambskin|1455244283|3989963 said:

:lol: :lol:
Funny!

But seriously, if I just saved a multi-million dollar plane for them, I would send them QUITE an invoice.

:bigsmile:

jordyonbass

Ideal_Rock
Trade

I reckon the captains on luxury boats may be a little more comfortable at the controls, some of them look almost like the cockpit of a plane

ul_controls.jpg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results