shape
carat
color
clarity

Bora Bora French Polynesia Honeymoon and Travel Agent Recommendation?

Scooba116

Shiny_Rock
I am planning a honeymoon in Bora Bora sometime between September and November of this year. I have looked at various websites and received quotes from several of them, but I don't feel like I'm getting very personalized service. And I don't think any local travel agents where I am are going to be very knowledgeable of FP. Can anyone recommend a good travel agent?

Also, for those of you who have been to FP, I am trying to decide whether we should spend all of our time in Bora Bora (which is a must see dream for me) or try to visit another island as well. What do you think? If Bora Bora is the most beautiful (and that is what we are looking for more than adventure), should we bother with anywhere else?

Many thanks!

Tekate

Ideal_Rock
Premium
first off you better hurry up :) second I recommend Costco. CONGRATULATIONS!!!

:appl::wavey:

ETA: I recommend Tahiti also.. they are not far away from each other, I spent a week in Riatania or something like that and a week cruising the different islands, by far Bora Bora and Tahiti are the most beautiful!!! (my honeymoon :) )

telephone89

Ideal_Rock
Premium
First, do you really feel like you need a travel agent? Personally I think they are going the way of the dinosaur, and have gotten much better quotes without them.

How long is your trip? If you are there for more than a week, I'd probably stay on two islands. My favourite island is Mo'orea, but if you don't want to stay there its available by a day trip too!

Elizabeth35

Brilliant_Rock
We did Bora Bora for our honeymoon 6 years ago---congratulations!
We tried using a highly recommended online agency but found it cumbersome and they were pushing us towards flights/packages we didn't want.

We ended up booking via Costco and it could not have been easier. They customized per our requests and were knowledgeable and very competitive. They made it easy! DH spent 20 minutes on the phone and it was done--we had already selected the hotel though.
We flew out of Chicago via LAX and had to overnight in Tahiti proper due to flight connections. We spent 2 nights at a Papeete area beach resort. Then 7 nights in a Bora Bora overwater bungalow.
If I had to do it over again--I would have made it at least 2 weeks due to the flight length. I would also recommend business class if it is in any way possible. We did not upgrade and the flight home was especially brutal in coach. But maybe because we were returning home from Paradise to 6 kids-lol.

You could try the Air Tahiti Nui website and they may have some packages too.

Enjoy!

Scooba116

Shiny_Rock
Thanks for all the advice! I tried using Costco (and this is part of why I feel like I need an agent) but it requires you to enter the exact dates and my dates and length of trip are flexible. I want to fly on the cheapest days. I guess I could try booking the flight separately, but then I will have to arrange my own inter island transfers and coordinate the timing as well, which sounds difficult.

Scooba116

Shiny_Rock
Costco is only giving me package prices, even when I deselect the "include a flight" option.

Elizabeth35

Brilliant_Rock
DH got flustered trying to book online at Costco--he ended up calling and the agent was super helpful. Sometimes it is easier to talk to someone rather than fiddle with dates. They were able to sort it out via phone and add some upgraded rooms etc.

telephone89

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks for all the advice! I tried using Costco (and this is part of why I feel like I need an agent) but it requires you to enter the exact dates and my dates and length of trip are flexible. I want to fly on the cheapest days. I guess I could try booking the flight separately, but then I will have to arrange my own inter island transfers and coordinate the timing as well, which sounds difficult.
Have you looked at google flights? You can play around with the trip length/dates and find out when is the cheapest from your airport (and also close by ones I believe).
Once you have some cheap dates, you can check out hotels, and once you decide where to stay you can check out tripadvisor for transfer/excursion recs.
I'm happy to do the flight search for you if you give the home airport, but if youre not comfortable I'd encourage you to play around with it!
For me, half the fun of the vacation is planning it LOL.
ETA - also even if you end up going with a travel agent/package company, make sure you vet the flights and make sure you cant get a better deal separately anyways.

acebruin

Brilliant_Rock
Call an agent with Costco. Don't use their website. I used Costco and called them. Super easy. My dates were also flexible and was looking for cheaper dates.

If you only have 1 week, spend ALL of them on Bora2. If you have 2 weeks, you can look into visiting a second island.

Scooba116

Shiny_Rock
Thanks again for more great advice.

Doing flight and hotel separately isn't working. I found cheap flight dates but when I use the hotel website I get outrageous prices and when I try kayak/expedia type sites, I don't get a room choice and I must have an overwater bungalow. I am just looking for flights out of LAX to PPT because only certain airlines go to Bora Bora and I don't want to limit myself and I have several airports I can chose from to get to LAX.

Since Costco comes so highly recommended I will definitely try giving them a call tonight. You don't have to be a Costco member, do you?

Elizabeth35

Brilliant_Rock
You will need to be a Costco member to book travel.
And frankly, the overwater bungalows are outrageously expensive-no bargains.
The hotel websites are telling you what the market rate is during your travel period. You may see some slight savings booking the air/hotel together because Costco o Air Tahit Nui has negotiated room rates. But it is an expensive destination and the overwater bungalows command a premium.

Tahiti is pricey--no Priceline o Groupon bargains sadly.

Scooba116

Shiny_Rock
Anyone know if Costco will talk to us if we aren't members? Obviously we have no problem signing up if we want to book with them but we have been on hold for at least 25 minutes and I am worried they won't even talk to us when we get through!

Scooba116

Shiny_Rock
Well Costco did talk to us and you all were right, they were extremely helpful. Of all the agents I have talked to they are the only one to find us exactly what we want, when we want, for the price we want. :dance: Unless any of the agents can beat what they are offering we are going to become Costco members today!

Now, has anyone stayed at Le Meridien Bora Bora?

And back to the Bora Bora only or Bora Bora plus Moorea debate. We can get an extra night or two on our trip if we add Moorea, but it will mean less time in Bora Bora, only 4 nights. I'm thinking that is not enough time in BB, but of I like the idea of a longer time in FP, so torn...

Elizabeth35

Brilliant_Rock
I did not stay at Le Meridien but it looks lovely!

As far as adding a second stop at More---I would consider the logistics and added cost of another flight.

When would you have to leave the hotel to get to the airport and when will you be relaxing at the second resort? You may lose the better part of a day.
We prefer longer stays and fewer transfers as the day of transfer is wasted with packing, getting to the airport early, then waiting for bags and doing another transfer to resort with checking in and getting settled. I know the flight are short and the distance to airports is minimal but what is the actual door to door time?

It's up to you---will you be really kicking yourself if you don't see Moorea?
If you add Moorea does it make your last day shorter/longer or do the flights Moorea-Papeete leave at the same time as BoraBora-Papeete? And I am assuming the flight Moorea-Papeete is not stopping along the way.

Look at the flight schedule and weigh the added cost of adding Moorea against the time lost due to changing islands and any change in your return flights.

Lol--you could always do Moorea on a future anniversary trip:twisted:

telephone89

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The ferry from Papeete to Moorea is 30m and $14 USD each way PP. So could be an option as a day trip when you first arrive (I assume your flights will go into Papeete) or on your way back. If it's a shorter trip I wouldn't split the islands up too much, but why not do a night or two on Tahiti to explore (though I find it less intriguing than the other islands) either before or after bora bora? Especially if you'll be flying to LAX, then Papeete, then bora bora, then Papeete, then LAX then home. It would be nice to have another break in there I'm sure!

You can also fly direct bora bora to moorea, but its pricier ($300 pp for a 45m flight), however the airports are a breeze. Your tour company (day trip) or hotel (staying) can pick you up from the airport and take you around.

acebruin

Brilliant_Rock
Forget Moorea. 4 nights is NOT enough in Bora Bora. Trust me. Hell, 7 nights is not enough as well. :D

Scooba116

Shiny_Rock
I just wanted to thank you all again. I have spent the last week exhaustively researching this and every possible date and package available. We ultimately determined that Costco was the best way to go as you all said. I spent 2 hours and 16 minutes on the phone with a fabulous Costco travel rep today who was incredibly patient and helpful. My husband got on the other line and got us an executive membership which was suggested by the rep due to the awards we would earn on the travel. We are boooked at the InterContinental Thalasso in Bora Bora and I cannot wait to go! :dance:

Anyone stayed there? Any tips? We chose a Diamond overwater villa, I think it has a lagoon view. I figured we we have the mountain view when we are in the water and on land, right?

acebruin

Brilliant_Rock
We stayed there when we went. It was great! We found out too late when we were there, that the best spot to snorkel was in that little lagoon near the chapel. When we walked out there, there were tons of fish around that area. I don't know if it's still the case today. We were there 8 years ago.

Tekate

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Spent 3 days in San Francisco, have spent a week in Moorea, then flew to spend 3 days in Tahiti, 2 days in Bora Bora, 2 night in Raiatea, This was my second marriage honeymoon, first marriage I went to St Croix, which was exquisite just like the South Pacific.

So, Bora Bora was for me the most beautiful place, BUT we stayed in a really cool hotel in the side of a small mountain in Tahiti, black sand beach, way cool, we had a week in Moorea and frankly I wouldn't go there again, Bora Bora and Tahiti were to me more beautiful. part of this long honeymoon trip was cruising, staying at hotels, back on the cruise ship, which was a small ship holding only 80 passengers, been on all kinds of cruise ships and while the 80 people ship was night, I prefer the ships that hold 900 or so because the amenities are better, that's me though. Bora Bora was the second most beautiful place I have ever been too.. the water was sooo sooo beautiful... Tahiti is very beautiful.. Congrats on your marriage and enjoy yourself, I had terrible jet lag the first 4 days I was there, I would spend more time in Cali if I were flying from NY again.

enjoy!!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results