shape
carat
color
clarity

Bookbag for 1st year of college

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
"A" turns 17 tomorrow and starts college in 3 weeks. Her aunt wants to send a gift and asked for ideas. I suggested a bag to carry her books for classes. She loves the idea and wants links to specific bags she can order.

I am not a skilled bag selector. Hoping you all can give some suggestions. I have been looking and just don't know where to start. It needs to be comfortable enough to carry, big enough for a couple of books, and something a 17 year old college girl would like.

Trekkie

Brilliant_Rock
I don't know if this is in the budget, but I know the Nylon Longchamp le Pliage tote is very popular with college students on tPF. Is this something she'd be interested in?

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
DH got a book bag from Costco a few years ago - Sierra I think, is the brand. It's still being used a few years later! It has a padded sleeve for laptops. The price was reasonable, under $30? They bring them back around this time of year.

I usually see more color varieties than what's shown online
http://www.costco.com/High-Sierra-Aggro-Backpack.product.100309998.html

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think a bookbag/backpack is a great idea for a gift. However, I think you should let "A" in on the idea and she what she
wants. Bookbags/backpacks are so individual and I would hate for her to get something she doesnt like or doesnt fit in with
the way she plans on using it.

You can check out these places
www.ebags.com
http://www.zappos.com/women-backpacks/COjWARCQ1wHAAQHiAgMBGAI.zso?s=goliveRecentSalesStyle/desc/?utm_source=google&utm_medium=sem_g&utm_campaign=64936637&utm_term=kwd-94205321&utm_content=7607689757&zap_placement=1t1

shaggy1

Shiny_Rock
Some women prefer a tote bag and some prefer a backpack for college. I would ask your daughter first which one she prefers.

The Longchamp is a good choice if she prefers a tote. Get the large size shopper. It has long handles.

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I definitely recommend a backpack and not just a tote bag or even a messenger bag. Depending on how big the campus is, exact timing of classes, and whether or not A is allowed to take notes on her laptop, she could be carrying 2-3 textbooks + binders + a laptop + water bottles etc to every class. I saw many girls with totes but I personally could never carry all my stuff in a tote if I wanted to actually be prepared.

Is A going to be living in the dorms?

rubybeth

Ideal_Rock
I think you should let A choose the bag she wants. Keep in mind that textbooks, laptops, water bottles, etc. gets heavy. A backpack is better for posture and distribution of weight than a bag with just a shoulder strap. I still use the North Face backpack with laptop pouch that I got in grad school years ago. A specific section for a laptop is recommended to keep them (or a tablet) safe and secure: https://www.thenorthface.com/shop/equipment-backpacks-laptops

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ditto letting her choose the style that best suits her needs. Think of it this way - would you ask someone else to choose you purse or wallet for you? :wink2: To me a bookbag or backpack can be just as personal.

A gift card for the campus bookstore might be a good idea, if your daughter's college has one that's well-stocked. Students often get discounts there, and it would give your daughter the chance to pick up some logo-emblazoned goods if she's so inclined.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think a wheeled bag is best. Less stress on shoulders and back.

purplesparklies

Brilliant_Rock
http://www.ebags.com/product/kenneth-cole-reaction-business-and-luggage/pack-of-all-trades/282386?productid=10321844

My son is using this one for high school and really liking it. It looks so much nicer than the typical backpack, is very comfy to carry and is protecting his laptop very well. The many outer compartments keep smaller items close at hand. I recommend a backpack rather than a messenger or tote for back health. Also, most college campuses have classes on upper levels and elevator space is at a premium. In addition, elevators are often slow and stuck in inconvenient areas in older buildings. I would skip the wheels.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you all so much! So many great ideas here.

I sent links to half a dozen that look functional and like she would enjoy the appearance. Her aunt chose one from Zappos so she can exchange of she wants.

I know "A" likes the look of totes, but I know (because I tried it with similar classes) that they won't hold what she needs. So traditional backpack.... But, I think I will look around and maybe take her to pick out a new purse/tote or something too.

She will not be doing dorms at least this year. The program she is in is at a local school with no dorms. We'll take it a year at a time for the rest. She is likely to transfer to the University of Washington in 2 years and we live about 30 minutes away. Not paying for a dorm would be better financially, but we'll see how it goes.

She finished 15 college credits last year (in 10th grade) but this is her first year doing the classes at the college instead of through the high school.

I took her last week for a new haircut. She is looking so grown-up !

0823161733_hdr.jpg

0823161807_hdr.jpg

0823161852_hdr.jpg

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
TooPatient|1472435045|4071060 said:
She finished 15 college credits last year (in 10th grade) but this is her first year doing the classes at the college instead of through the high school.

I took her last week for a new haircut. She is looking so grown-up !

Yes indeed! She looks lovely!

Congrats to you and your hubby for helping her get to this point!

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Definitely a backpack. Maybe take a look at northface ones. Also, I have a pacsafe backpack when I was backpacking in south america) very comfortable and waterproof but has some great security features.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh cute! Love her new "college" look!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results