shape
carat
color
clarity

Board game suggestions? Looking for NYE games

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
We are having a few people in for NYE and want a board game evening. We have Scattegories, Scruples, Catch Phrase, Taboo, Apples to Apples, Balderdash.... as well as Pictionary and Act One. Looking for a group game, everyone participates, could be a team thing. Bascially FUN!

Any new games out there that people find fun and entertaining --- with minimal thinking involved?? (DH is NOT a fan of any of the Trivial Pursuit genre). They tend to run in the $30 - $40 range now, so hoping to purchase based on recommendations, not trial and error! Thanks for any suggestions!

Rosebloom

Ideal_Rock

amc80

Ideal_Rock
Quelf! Tons of fun. Very random, but fun.

ponder

Brilliant_Rock
We have always had fun with Guesstures (I think that was the name). Its like charades on speed. Team game and usually gets pretty hilarious.

MsP

Brilliant_Rock
Telestrations... hands down. Best game ever. It's like the old kids game telephone...except for drawing things. Except... you're not really judged on how well you draw... so anyone can do it. I've played with many age groups and types of guests, and it always has the group roaring with laughter.

D

Deactivated member 42515

Does that mean that Cranium is out of the question? We reallly like that game :) That and Apples to Apples but you already have that one :naughty:

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sequence. If you can't catch on, you are actually mentally challenged.

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
Cards Against Humanity!
http://cardsagainsthumanity.com/

We played this last NYE and it was a blast. You can't play it with people who get easily offended, though.
They didn't have any sets available for purchase last year, so I printed my own at Staples. Best. game. ever.

Sparklelu

Brilliant_Rock
Omg Haven I had never heard of cards against humanity, but I love it!! It looks like a game that a certain group of my friends would love!! Can't wait to play. Downloading the set to print!
Happy almost 2013

tigian

Ideal_Rock
ponder|1356751211|3341951 said:
We have always had fun with Guesstures (I think that was the name). Its like charades on speed. Team game and usually gets pretty hilarious.
I second guesstures!

manderz

Brilliant_Rock
Haven|1356774555|3342144 said:
Cards Against Humanity!
http://cardsagainsthumanity.com/

We played this last NYE and it was a blast. You can't play it with people who get easily offended, though.
They didn't have any sets available for purchase last year, so I printed my own at Staples. Best. game. ever.

LOVE LOVE LOVE this game!! It's hilarious!

If you'd prefer a milder version, go for Apples to Apples.

mdmc

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Dominoes. You can play several games. Mexican Train or Chicken Foot. Very fun

qtiekiki

Ideal_Rock
Jenga.

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks so much, everyone!! I am very intrigued by Cards AGainst Humanity! We do/did have Sequence... but I think it may have been 'borrowed' by someone and not returned. We do own 2 Cranium games but not a huge fan.

What great ideas you all had - thanks for sharing!

Autumnovember

Ideal_Rock
SEQUENCE!!!!!!!!!

AWESOME game and over the last month, I have literally gotten my mom, friends, and brother-in-laws obsessed with it. They all went out and bought the game for themselves too. Its a 2-12 person game and you play in teams unless it's 1-3 people. It is simple, fun, and involves both luck and strategizing. Can't beat it.

eta: just saw you already have it. Darn. I heard "Pandemic" is good too. Also heard that Loaded Questions and Headbandz were fun! There is a new scattergories out that has an interesting twist to it! That is the next game I wanna buy.

Logan Sapphire

Ideal_Rock
Wise and Otherwise.

Here's the description from Amazon:

Voted a Best Party Game of the Year by Games magazine, Wise and Otherwise belongs next to Pictionary and Scrabble in your arsenal of fun. This creative, interactive game (read: everybody shouting, flailing, laughing) revolves around 500 cards, each emblazoned with five obscure and long-forgotten sayings from around the world. For example, one old Chinese saying is, "Don't add salt to a boatload of salt fish." One side of the card states, "Don't add salt to..." and it is the job of the players to devise probable endings. "Don't add salt to salty soup," for example. Or, "Don't add salt to the open wound." (The actual endings are listed on the flip sides of the cards.) A player wins points when other players vote for his or her special ending, or when the player guesses the actual ending, so the goal is to finish the proverb as convincingly as possible given the geographic region in question. Each elegant box contains one game board, 500 cards, six writing pads, six pencils, one die, and six player pawns. People who love language, oddly hilarious translations, offbeat proverbs, or just making people look foolish by guessing their very clever answers will adore this game. We predict: The one who plays this game ... will hear the laughter.

Product Description
In Wise and Otherwise there are 2,500 wise, funny and unusual old sayings from around the world, and more than a few possible endings! During play the first part of an actual but little known old saying is read aloud. Then, with a little wit and imagination each player writes an ending to go with the beginning. The made-up sayings are read aloud along with the actual old sayings, and everyone tries to guess the real one. You'll get points when other players think your ending is the real one, and points for guessing the real old saying.

Cozystitches

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
We played Curses at my parents house recently. It was fun. The "curses" aren't swearing type ;-)

amc80

Ideal_Rock
Here's a link to the game I suggested, Quelf-
http://www.amazon.com/Spin-Master-Games-20042851-Quelf/dp/B00421AGGG

Quelf is the game that gives random a new name. Use your creativity an imagination to answer crazy questions and perform ridiculous stunts. There’s only one rule – OBEY THE CARD. If a player obeys their card they get to move ahead. Be the first person to cross the finish line and you win. Enjoy a non-stop hilarious adventure with Quelf.

manderz

Brilliant_Rock
Enerchi|1356977511|3343725 said:
Thanks so much, everyone!! I am very intrigued by Cards AGainst Humanity! We do/did have Sequence... but I think it may have been 'borrowed' by someone and not returned. We do own 2 Cranium games but not a huge fan.

What great ideas you all had - thanks for sharing!

We enjoyed cards against humanity so much, that the night before my wedding, we stayed up until the wee hours of the morning playing, until we'd literally used every card in the box. Every. Single. Card.

purplesparklies

Brilliant_Rock
Going to have to try some of these!

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
First off, Enerchi, invite me over, and I'll be there in as long as it takes to get from California to Ontario? Ottawa? I'm supposed to go out with friends (not used to it, would much rather stay home and watch tv or read a good book) and go to parties (that was so two decades ago for me :rolleyes: :rolleyes: ), but can I come over instead? Board games are more my speed and a great way to get to know people, especially if you can have something good to drink along with (and I know you would).

Second off, how do people keep inventing new games?!! It never ceases to amaze me...

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results