shape
carat
color
clarity

Bluenile or Local Jeweler? pls help

freedom2016

Shiny_Rock
Hi all
Ok. I have heard from ID jewelry,GOG and B2C so far. here is what each of them wrote to me via email.

IDJ: 14kt White Gold 11-Stone Band
.75ctw $1,150.00
1.00ctw $1,450.00
Color: F+
Clarity: SI+ (101% Eyeclean)
Cut: Ideal-Excellent
PRICESCOPE QUALITY
Production: 2-3 weeks
Finger Size: 7
Yekutiel will choose each and every diamond on your diamond band to
make sure you get the best brilliance.

GOG:It would be approximately $2,000 in 18k white gold using GH/VS-SI1 round Hearts and Arrows diamonds. 11 stone size 7, 1 ct total weight.

Bc2 I am writing this email with reference to your interest in diamond band. Just wanted to let you know that we can upgrade the setting# DRAJ0363 in G/VS2 for $1275.00.

so, far i am mostly liking IDJ but i have NO CLUE if GOG is light years better than IDJ or if they are just as good. I like the price from IDJ but i dont know this person and if they truly will hand pick the best stones. I seek YOUR input everyone. Also, i am going to attach a photo of my grandmothers wedding band that i plan to pair this ring with,
i am torn if i should get the .75 or 1ct. Her ring is from 1940's.

freedom2016

Shiny_Rock
B29EF7AB-676C-44C3-A27E-1F0809623BAD.png 6A427306-92CE-4275-9180-298E2ACBB538.png
Here is a pic with a 1.25tcw 7 stone top one

and then a. .5tcw 7 stone with her band. 2nd one.

I am having trouble figuring out what the point size will be for a 1ctw 11 stone
Vs
.75tcw. 11 stone

Which will look best with her band?
Any thoughts?

I’m still waiting on whiteflash but I’m shocked and weary of idj prices - could it really be that good???

freedom2016

Shiny_Rock
So, IDJ just sent me these photos which I have to say I am impressed with their customer service so far

F2222D87-7DED-43F9-A4BA-DD698717DE63.jpeg
This is a ring similar to mine with .09 pointers

EC14B495-2F1E-4AC3-AA4F-1CAB10611F2B.jpeg
This is a similar Ring to mine with .07

Which do you all think? I go back and forth but am kinda thinking maybe the .75 with .07’ might be best

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
IDJ is really that good. They are amazing at working within budgets, and if they say Yeukiteil will hand pick stones then I have no doubt that he will. I think the .07 look better because it looks like a substantial band and then a dainty band (vs one substantial band and one kind of in the middle).

freedom2016

Shiny_Rock
IDJ is really that good. They are amazing at working within budgets, and if they say Yeukiteil will hand pick stones then I have no doubt that he will. I think the .07 look better because it looks like a substantial band and then a dainty band (vs one substantial band and one kind of in the middle).

I think I agree. I’m surprised as I thought I would want larger, don’t we all, BUT I too think the .07 will be better to wear with her ring.
I’m so I reached out to a few vendors.

Omg Brian Gavin is $$$$$$$
White Gold Shared Prong Band featuring approximately 11 x 0.09 carat Brian Gavin Signature F/G VS Hearts and Arrows Diamond melee will be $4385.

A Custom 18K White Gold Shared Prong Band featuring approximately 11 x 0.07 carat Brian Gavin Signature F/G VS Hearts and Arrows Diamond melee will be $3450. Vs 1150 IDJ

A Custom 18K White Gold Shared Prong Band featuring approximately 1 1 x 0.05 carat Brian Gavin Signature F/G VS Hearts and Arrows Diamond melee will be $2275.

What I don’t understand is the huge price difference- I mean if one could see the two pieces side by side - could you see a huge difference in them ? Could u tell which is IDJ and bgd?
I wish I could hold a .75 from each in my hands to see if there is visually a difference -

Thoughts??

anon34985

Shiny_Rock
I just wanted to throw out there that my Costco eternity band came today, it is 1CTW I believe it is 23 .04 diamonds, and I absolutely love it! It was $999 and is platinum and basically has a lifetime return policy. I know not everyone is into Costco diamonds and my standards probably are not as strict as many PSers, but if I were you I would at least look into their half eternity band for $899 to see if you like it!=)2 ETA: the stones are I VS2 or better...not sure of the cut, that's why I mention Costco is def not for everyone!
IMG_6846.JPG IMG_6841.JPG IMG_6847.JPG

Miss Marple

Shiny_Rock
I like 7 pointers as well. The proportions are a little more visually pleasing to me than the 9 pointers.

I have a 1.75 ctw 5 stone from IDJ and a 0.6 ct pendant from BGD. I can see a small performance difference between the IDJ stones and the BGD. The BGD is nicer but not nearly enough that I personally would be willing to pay the difference in price based on the quotes you received.

The quote from GOG is intriguing. It might be worth the price difference for precision cut melee, but that’s a much closer call in my mind.

I’m sure you can’t go wrong, regardless of your pick.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like 7 pointers as well. The proportions are a little more visually pleasing to me than the 9 pointers.

I have a 1.75 ctw 5 stone from IDJ and a 0.6 ct pendant from BGD. I can see a small performance difference between the IDJ stones and the BGD. The BGD is nicer but not nearly enough that I personally would be willing to pay the difference in price based on the quotes you received.

The quote from GOG is intriguing. It might be worth the price difference for precision cut melee, but that’s a much closer call in my mind.

Honestly I don't think you'll see a difference in stones so small. If it were for a larger diamond then I might feel differently, but I think paying such a huge premium for the BGD doesn't make sense. IDJ is great, and I would be surprised if you could visually tell the difference between GOG and IDJ.

freedom2016

Shiny_Rock

Thank you!! I wondered the same about GOG.
Would theirs be better than IDJ? Is precision cut melee from gog better than pricescope quality from idj?

Regarding order of best cut stones - is it?
Bgd 100%
Gog 99%
Idj 90%
????? :roll2:

I really really appreciate the experts weighing in. You guys have experience with these vendors and I value your input.

freedom2016

Shiny_Rock
If the non expert can not see a diff with idj and gog then that’s my answer.

If I held (or anyone without expertise) held both rings in hand, could they tell which is which?
And would they say gog is better? Lmao

Thank you again for all your feedback.
Still no word from whiteflash

Joey_mhaske

Rough_Rock
I've been to IDJ in NYC a couple of times for a project and I can say they really give the best price without compromising on the quality! Excellent customer service too!

Good luck on this and keep us posted :)

Ceilimom

Brilliant_Rock
I have a 2 ct Blue Nile eternity and it is quite good quality. Not ideal cut melee but looks to me to be excellent cut.

Given that the local jeweler is talking down the BN eternity while probably having never seen one, I wouldn’t trust him. I don’t trust jewelers who bash others in order to get business rather than competing on their own quality and service.
Completely agree with with this post on all points.
You can order the BN ring look at it, live with it, have it independently appraised and if you aren't truly happy return it before the 30 day point. As for sourcing the diamonds from China, did the local jeweler show you where his diamonds are from? Good luck.

freedom2016

Shiny_Rock
Oh boy, ok here is the update.

whiteflash is
0.75ctw in 14k White Gold: $2195

1.00ctw in 14k White Gold: $2495

BUT HERE IS AN INTERESTING PIECE THAT MAY CHANGE THINGS. GOG was for a 1ct. H&A.
their price for 0.75tcw is their H&A stones is $1500!!!! so 350 more than idj.

Last night i thought for sure i would just get IDJ, but now i am thinking its only 350 more for GOG -
what should i do???????

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh boy, ok here is the update.

whiteflash is
0.75ctw in 14k White Gold: $2195

1.00ctw in 14k White Gold: $2495

BUT HERE IS AN INTERESTING PIECE THAT MAY CHANGE THINGS. GOG was for a 1ct. H&A.
their price for 0.75tcw is their H&A stones is $1500!!!! so 350 more than idj.

Last night i thought for sure i would just get IDJ, but now i am thinking its only 350 more for GOG -
what should i do???????
I honestly don' think you'll see a difference between GOG and IDJ, but that's just my thought from dealing with IDJ and hearing about GOG but not dealing with them directly.

freedom2016

Shiny_Rock
its so hard, i wish i could see them side by side.
i am hoping others that have experience with BOTH "pricescope quality" from IDJ and H&A from GOG can weigh in.
if there is no visual diff, obviously i'll get IDJ and save the $350, but if you can tell and gog is better, then spending 350 to get better doesn't seem too bad.

another thing that came up by someone local is the setting, do i need to worry about the diamonds in my new ring scratching up my grandmothers band? her ring sits super low so i didn't think it would matter as i just "thought" the metal from new ring would hit the metal on hers and that the diamonds would sort of sit higher. slightly higher but enough so that they would not be scratching her ring.

thoughts on that ?

freedom2016

Shiny_Rock
Hi All
just wanted to check in to see if anyone can offer me some insite on the new ring scratching the wedding band from 1940's that I plan to wear it with.
Will the stones on new ring scratch my band? Do I ask IDJ or GOG to just make the baskets slightly higher so its only metal touching metal and the diamonds on new ring wont touch my grandmothers ring?

Is there a certain setting that this wont happen? Please advise.

also, any feedback on GOG vs IDJ, price difference is roughly 300. see above and thank you

Joey_mhaske

Rough_Rock
If you think about it, GOG is offering $350 more with G/H color while IDJ is in the colorless range which is F+ for a more competitive price so yes, you might see a slight difference in color.

Last edited:

freedom2016

Shiny_Rock
If you think about it, GOG is offering $350 more with G/H color while IDJ is in the colorless range which is F+ for a more competitive price so yes, you might see a slight difference in color.

So what do you mean then? This is confusing to me pls forgive me. I thought gog was better, are you saying idj is better stones and cheaper ?
I am likely not reading this right - I’m sorry
:eek2:

Joey_mhaske

Rough_Rock
Cut wise, I don't think you will see any difference between the 2 vendor. My question is, would you rather pay more for lower color (GOG G/H) or pay a little less for higher color (IDJ F+)?

In some cases, higher price doesn't mean company A is better than company B.

MK Malone

Shiny_Rock
I’d go with IDJ because they are offering the best price and have given great customer service and are a recommended vendor. Also, I’d ask them the question you have about the two rings touching and possibly causing damage.

freedom2016

Shiny_Rock
62FA08AC-A569-4ADE-AF5E-498A1AE954FC.jpeg
Shared prong

134E16A5-F86B-46DE-94CE-871BE8ECB6F4.jpeg
Airline basket they are calling this

6C70B611-B304-4C5F-8C01-21D8EAEA10C4.jpeg
Shared prong

1DC3D34F-2DA2-4237-80BB-465E001EF206.jpeg
Airline

CA7314FB-C73D-4DB7-9FD6-9CD838E271A7.jpeg
Airline

I’d go with IDJ because they are offering the best price and have given great customer service and are a recommended vendor. Also, I’d ask them the question you have about the two rings touching and possibly causing damage.

Thank you! I did ask them. They said I could get a “shared prong” setting or what they call an “airline prong” setting. Which I think is just a basket.
They sent me pics and it looks like even the shared prong will be fine. Let me see if I can attach to get your thoughts.

Now keep in mind - my band I’m going to wear is a tad thinner than the one she’s holding

I sort of don’t want the airline one as it’s a similar profile to my engagement ring so gives me an ick feeling. Will the shared be ok?
I think only metal will touch as my band has a thinner edge than what she’s holding

I have to say amazing customer service from idj. I “thought” the lighter color was better so I’m confused -
It seems idj has a better cut and color and quality but then I thought some said gog h&a would be better?

I just want the best stones and setting that I can afford for this.
So idj or gog.

And 7 stones at .07 or
11 stones at .07

Both I can swing at idj.

MK Malone

Shiny_Rock
I can’t tell you which setting is best to go with your grandma’s ring, because I just don’t know. Maybe someone else can advise you. And I’ve given you my thoughts on which vendor to go with. Sounds like IDJ is giving you a great price, quality and service. But I don’t think you can go wrong with GOG either. I vote for the 11 stone ring to give you more finger coverage!! Hands down.

MK Malone

Shiny_Rock
I can’t tell you which setting is best to go with your grandma’s ring, because I just don’t know. Maybe someone else can advise you. And I’ve given you my thoughts on which vendor to go with. Sounds like IDJ is giving you a great price, quality and service. But I don’t think you can go wrong with GOG either. I vote for the 11 stone ring to give you more finger coverage!! Hands down.

freedom2016

Shiny_Rock
Hi All,
I think (thought) i was very close to making a decision but then one recent series of emails with GOG and then IDJ has me confused again.
GOG sent me pics of a single shared prong 7 stone next to a band very similar to mine and i love it.
LOVED it. The stones sit high enough where they wont scratch and it looked great. Right now, i can afford the 7 stone GOG or the 11 stone IDJ. each with .07 pointers

So, then i wrote to IDJ and asked them if they had a similar single shared prong setting and i sent them the pics. and they said they would NOT recommend getting a single shared prong as its not as secure as the other settings. So, I was going to just go with the shared prong from IDJ, 11 stone and order today but then when i saw the single prong from GOG i liked that even better. Now i am confused that GOG said its a good one but IDJ says its not as secure. Does IDJ have more knowledge or is more forthcoming than GOG? Or, could it be that GOG is stronger/better made so maybe their single prongs wont have issues, but IDJ isn't as strong. :errrr::errrr:

any thoughts, i would love to hear. Tell me single prong isn't the best, then im sold and will go with idj 11 stone shared prong.
OR
tell me GOG is higher quality and their single prong would be better and thats why she said it wouldnt have issues. then maybe i'll get the 7 from them.

OY> THANK YOU FOR BEARING WITH ME.

ac117

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I personally would not be ok with a single prong setting for daily wear and I wouldn’t want to have to baby my ring. The stones will not be as secure with less prongs. I’d go with IDJ’s shared prong version. It will be stunning and 11 diamonds will be enough to cover the whole top of your finger giving the look of an eternity band.

freedom2016

Shiny_Rock
Ok. I made a decision. I am going to go with IDJ.
14kt White Gold Shared Prong (No Airline) Diamond Band
11 Round Diamonds: 0.07pts
Color: F+
Clarity: SI+
Cut: Ideal-Excellent
PRICESCOPE QUALITY
Finger Size: 7

I am really excited and can't thank you all enough for your input. Now, is there anything I should do to keep this ring looking as great as possible. i do plan to wear it daily with her band.
if I was buying local, i would go in every few months, or at least 2x per year to get things checked, tightened and cleaned. However, i am not near IDJ, so what does one do?
Do i bring it to any place local to do this for me? What do you all do with your pieces?
Thank you again!:wavey:

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, just bring it to any independent (non-chain) local jeweler to have it checked periodically. You don’t need them to clean it... I clean all my diamonds weekly but plenty of people clean them daily. You can search the forum for loads of cleaning tips.

freedom2016

Shiny_Rock
66CB71B5-EF6D-463E-9591-4B46B6084060.png 38E347AF-88DD-43AC-A625-ED2AE11000F0.jpeg

4BA81DA7-1F97-4D2F-8118-AF6A276AFD2F.png

Hello! Just wanted to circle back and thank everyone that helped me with this thread.

I ended up buying from ID jewelry as I think I said up above. The ring is here and I CAN NOT believe how sparkly and full or fire my stones are :D:lol:
I am shocked and so thrilled. Wow.
Thank you.
Pricescope quality from them is so so nice!!

Thank you 1000 times
I stink at pics but here are some with my 1940’s band ❤️❤️❤️❤️

MK Malone

Shiny_Rock
So glad you updated us all!! Your ring is so lovely and your delight is the best!! So glad you are happy with ID Jewelry.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results