shape
carat
color
clarity

blue zircon

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
My mom got this ring as a 16th birthday gift around 1960 - it''s pretty banged up (can''t tell in eye-reality) but it has a nice color.... anyway the reason I''m posting it is because today after years of looking at this ring, it took cleaning it up and taking photos that the two stones are different cuts!! I never knew that... I just assumed the two were cut the same - but you can clearly see in these two photos that they have different cuts LOL One stone is a classic emerald and the other is ?? Too funny and had to share :)

cbzircon1.jpg

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
The X pattern is actually more symmetrical than that but I took this at an angle. HARD to take pics of colored gems!!!

cbzircon2.jpg

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
WOW that''s really cool. How funny that the two of you never noticed.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
scisser cut
its very common in zircon and really makes them pop when well done.
Its one of my favorite cuts.

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/10/2007 1:41:50 AM
Author: strmrdr
scisser cut
its very common in zircon and really makes them pop when well done.
Its one of my favorite cuts.
thanks storm! the stones are matched so well for color and size - I wonder why the setter didn''t bother to notice the cut LOL! Now that I know I''ll have to see which I prefer from eye distance LOL

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Cehra,

Thanks for pointing out this thread to me.

if you look closely at the facet junctions you will see one of the facts of life about zircons. The heating that turns them blue makes them brittle which leads to abrasions of the facet junctions with even moderate wear.

You can take this to your local jeweler and ask him to have the stone repolished to remove the abrasions if you like.

Wink

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/28/2007 7:02:07 PM
Author: Wink
Cehra,

Thanks for pointing out this thread to me.

if you look closely at the facet junctions you will see one of the facts of life about zircons. The heating that turns them blue makes them brittle which leads to abrasions of the facet junctions with even moderate wear.

You can take this to your local jeweler and ask him to have the stone repolished to remove the abrasions if you like.

Wink
The two stones have different cuts - I''m tempted to have them recut to be the same... as for the wear and tear, my mom got it back in the 50''s and wore it a lot over the years (almost every day), I''m surprised it isn''t worse. I wouldn''t call it "moderate" wear LOL

I didn''t know zircons were all heated to turn them blue!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results