shape
carat
color
clarity

Blue Zircon

Mayk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
So I'm starting to finally look. I'm looking for a right hand ring. I think I will end up with a bezel set or a simple setting. I've looked and looked in the past. I love the concave cuts and Richard Horner has one I love #6726 but I'm not willing to go $1,580 yet. So I've picked three I like at Mastercut Gems.

I would love some feedback on cut and color. I will likely go with White Gold or Rose Gold for the setting.

I've also got a ridiculous number of favorited items on Ruby Lane, Etsy and a couple from EBay, but I think I might be happier buying a stone I like and sitting on it until I'm ready to set or put it in a temporary setting until I can decide. I'm for sure not in a rush.

Choice #1

https://www.mastercutgems.com/Products-265-Topaz_and_Zircon/8874-Cambodia_Natural_Zircon_5_77_ct-GemMedia.php?FromPage=1&ProductMediaID=35864

Choice #2

https://www.mastercutgems.com/Products-265-Topaz_and_Zircon/8871-Cambodia_Natural_Zircon_5_11_ct-GemMedia.php?FromPage=1&ProductMediaID=35855

Curious on your thoughts on this one. It was Choice #3 and I dropped it off then decided to add it again. Interesting cut. One picture looks a bit blurry.

https://www.mastercutgems.com/Products-265-Topaz_and_Zircon/8886-Cambodia_Natural_Zircon_3_00_ct_-Gem.php?FromPage=1

Thanks for any feedback. Disclaimer I'm totally clueless. Just trying not to pick something that will be a disappointment.

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I really like #1 - color, shape, proportions.

I don't like # 2 - it has too much depth and something about it looks off-kilter.

I also don't like #3 - mostly due to the feather (?) visible in the profile shot.

If your budget allows, I'd suggest buying #1 and seeing how you like it IRL. Dana has a 10-day return period.

caf

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Mayk - I have bought a number of stones from Dana and have not been disappointed nor ever sent one back. I like No. 1 best. I think if you get it you will love it. BUT...you could email him and ask him for some more pics of the other stones or to tell you which one is best suited for your purposes. They are very nice -- and want you to be satisfied. Also his descriptions are normally accurate.

Have fun.

CAF

blingbunny10

Brilliant_Rock
I like #1 best, too. I've actually been watching it for awhile, but the veil inclusion gave me pause. But you might buy it and see how you like it in person.

#2 is my second choice but it's cut deep and kinda wonky - might be a pain to get set.

Mayk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you. Nic to know my #1 choice isn't bad.

I did ask for pictures of the top two together and any comments they could provide about the differences.

Depth is something I wondered about since a ring is my goal. Great points.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I actually like stone #2--I think the color is beautiful, but do agree it's quite deep. I like 1 and 3 as well, but 2 is my personal favorite :) But seriously none of those three look "bad" at all, and Dana's return policy is great so you could always order your 2 favs and return one.

Just another thought after reading the rest of your post---you seem to gravitate towards a blue/green color in zircon rather than "pure blue"? I assume so because of your post about that expensive africa gems stone being an ideal color. That is also my ideal color for zircon, and I've found that Roger Dery has gorgeous zircons and is really good about describing color accurately, as well as taking extra pictures if you want them. I'd email him to ask if he thinks any of the ones he has currently (or upcoming) is similar to the color you think of as "ideal", and see what he says. He was kind enough to take tons of pics for me when I was deciding and also sending me 2 stones to choose between them. I ended up with this one and set it in an inexpensive MDZ setting that I love. Just wanted to show you in case it helps.

20160122_191123.jpg 20160122_191156.jpg

Another option is to contact Chris Auletta via FB, as he sourced some of Acinom's incredible blue/green zircons. :wavey:

Mayk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
lovedogs|1466807291|4047800 said:
I actually like stone #2--I think the color is beautiful, but do agree it's quite deep. I like 1 and 3 as well, but 2 is my personal favorite :) But seriously none of those three look "bad" at all, and Dana's return policy is great so you could always order your 2 favs and return one.

Just another thought after reading the rest of your post---you seem to gravitate towards a blue/green color in zircon rather than "pure blue"? I assume so because of your post about that expensive africa gems stone being an ideal color. That is also my ideal color for zircon, and I've found that Roger Dery has gorgeous zircons and is really good about describing color accurately, as well as taking extra pictures if you want them. I'd email him to ask if he thinks any of the ones he has currently (or upcoming) is similar to the color you think of as "ideal", and see what he says. He was kind enough to take tons of pics for me when I was deciding and also sending me 2 stones to choose between them. I ended up with this one and set it in an inexpensive MDZ setting that I love. Just wanted to show you in case it helps.

20160122_191123.jpg 20160122_191156.jpg

Another option is to contact Chris Auletta via FB, as he sourced some of Acinom's incredible blue/green zircons. :wavey:

Love yours!!!!! That color is beautiful! Will check out both suggestions.

Mayk

Ideal_Rock
Premium

chroman

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
As fate would have it, Roger just posted photos of a few newly cut blue zircons on facebook!

Mayk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
chroman|1466888292|4048327 said:
As fate would have it, Roger just posted photos of a few newly cut blue zircons on facebook!

Thank you! I friended him on FB and sent an email. He's still cutting. Up next cushions.

Mayk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
lovedogs|1466910581|4048409 said:
You may have seen these, but one is a beautiful light zircon:

http://www.litnon.com/index.php?page=viewgem&id=10985

And the other is a greenish/blue that you liked before.
http://www.litnon.com/index.php?page=viewgem&id=10768

Love the first ones color. This is a tough choice. But it's really deep. How would I set it in a ring? Any good ideas?

The second one is also pretty fabulous and I love the dimensions. Not overly deep and would give really nice finger coverage.

Thank you for the links!

I'm thinking when I get it narrowed down I might have to order two or three to compare.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
#1 would be my choice without any doubt, as the colour of the other two does not appeal to me.

DK :))

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
MayK,
Colour is very personal so what I pick may not be something you love. I am drawn to the bright turquoise shade for zircons. Which shade makes your heart pound? Based on your answer, I can then explain why Choice A might be better than Choice B for you.

Mayk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Trying this one out

Not very good at pictures.

_4597.jpeg

_4598.jpeg

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Mayk|1467427163|4050684 said:
Trying this one out

OMG I love it! I assume it's Roger's? It reminds me of his cutting and colors--I think its gorgeous, but what do you think??

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh, I like that cushion a lot!

chroman

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Wow!! :love:

Mayk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
lovedogs|1467427257|4050686 said:
Mayk|1467427163|4050684 said:
Trying this one out

OMG I love it! I assume it's Roger's? It reminds me of his cutting and colors--I think its gorgeous, but what do you think??

Yes it is.

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Beautiful stone Mayk!!
Personally I like it a lot. What are your thoughts?

Mayk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Acinom|1467466369|4050772 said:
Beautiful stone Mayk!!
Personally I like it a lot. What are your thoughts?

I really like it... I liked another one he cut but those things sell before you can think about it. The first one had four people requesting it. With that in mind I've never seen a lovely cut zircon in person so it pretty much exceeded my expectations. I'm pretty sure I'm keeping it. If I send it back to look at other ones it will be gone. :-o

For now I'm looking into a super cheap setting until I decide what to do. I love all your beautiful settings. I like the new simple bezel's JbG is doing, I like my old bezel from BE with the petal basket and I also considered a three stone setting. I also like one by Sally on etsy and asked her about it. I'm open to ideas too. I'd like to set this one once (except el-cheapo temp setting) unlike the reset/upgrade treadmill with my ering.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results