shape
carat
color
clarity

Blue tourmaline crack lines

Candylover

Rough_Rock
I ordered a blue tourmaline some time ago from overseas and it finally arrived yesterday. As I opened the small protective box I noticed a line on the stone upon checking these seem to be cracks. The seller confirm these where not there before and I also didn't drop the stone, I was sitting on the sofa while opening the package. Is it possible that the stone got damaged during transit? I thought tourmalines are hard stones so if this is a crack, how much force will be needed to make this?

The stone was very pretty and I liked the colour. Its such a shame :(2 I asked the seller for refund or if they can exchange to another blue gemstone. I have just sent it back for checks.

Attachments

• 20200919_082720_resized.jpg
    20200919_082720_resized.jpg
    76.1 KB · Views: 41
  • 20200919_082658_resized.jpg
    20200919_082658_resized.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 20
  • 20200919_082603.jpg
    20200919_082603.jpg
    96 KB · Views: 31

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Was there any photos in the original vendor's listing?

Cracks like the one shown in the pics are likely to be inherent in the rough prior to being cut, IMHO.

However, I could be wrong as I am not an expert.

DK :))

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Seconding the suggestion to look at pics of the stone on the vendor’s page.

JackTrick

Brilliant_Rock
It *is* possible that the stone was damaged in transit, but I would suspect you would notice something in the package accordingly. The gem jar looks relatively sturdy (hard plastic?) and intact. And I assume the envelope/box was too?

LilAlex

Ideal_Rock
Premium
No way that a tourmaline nestled on a soft cushion like that cracked in shipping -- unless the whole gem jar had been smashed with a hammer.

This is a complete garbage story. Get your money back and never deal with them again.

The photos were of a different stone or it was positioned and lit in an especially advantageous way.

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
Can you share the pics from the seller? I find that some sellers take GREAT photos I.e. great color /stone in pics, totally not impressive/misleading in real life.

Candylover

Rough_Rock
It *is* possible that the stone was damaged in transit, but I would suspect you would notice something in the package accordingly. The gem jar looks relatively sturdy (hard plastic?) and intact. And I assume the envelope/box was too?

My exact thoughts. The package was had bubble wrap inside the envelope and the gem was kept inside a small box. Both of them were undamaged when arrived. So I returned the stone in its original packaging to the seller yesterday as they said they will need to see the stone and investigate.

Candylover

Rough_Rock
No way that a tourmaline nestled on a soft cushion like that cracked in shipping -- unless the whole gem jar had been smashed with a hammer.

This is a complete garbage story. Get your money back and never deal with them again.

The photos were of a different stone or it was positioned and lit in an especially advantageous way.

I have a feeling this might be the case. The video I got was of the stone held in a tweezer but they seller did not turn the stone around or move it so I could see how the stone was. Perhaps its like you say, it must have been positioned in a way for their advantage. I had a screenshot of their original image and zoomed in and i could see something that looked like a frisure. However seller said it is not and the stone was clean when sent. I am quite disappointed in myself for not asking for more photos/videos and could have avoided this situation. The stone was not too expensive but I could have gotten something else with that money. Should I just ask for a refund? I thought about getting another stone but it also had imperfections which I want to avoid. We are working to find a solution i.e. get another stone. But i don't want to get something else for the sake of getting it. I have to like the replacement stone 20200920_094447.jpg

LilAlex

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have a feeling this might be the case.

Vendors like this know you will be disappointed. They gamble that it's too much trouble for you to return it. Or else they have a no-returns policy and rely upon selling to new suckers each time. These stones are typically priced in the "lessons-learned" range and not a splurge. (No guarantee, of course, that a splurge gem from them will be any better.) Look at median incomes in some of these countries -- they don't have to sell a ton of three-figure stones to get by.

Before I get the usual we-love-our-vendors blowback, please note that I am not referring to PS-recommended or -preferred vendors. But there are thousands of new IG vendors around the world with handles that look like a password (i.e., random combination of numbers and letters) and they just keep popping up on my feed.

Candylover

Rough_Rock
Vendors like this know you will be disappointed. They gamble that it's too much trouble for you to return it. Or else they have a no-returns policy and rely upon selling to new suckers each time. These stones are typically priced in the "lessons-learned" range and not a splurge. (No guarantee, of course, that a splurge gem from them will be any better.) Look at median incomes in some of these countries -- they don't have to sell a ton of three-figure stones to get by.

Before I get the usual we-love-our-vendors blowback, please note that I am not referring to PS-recommended or -preferred vendors. But there are thousands of new IG vendors around the world with handles that look like a password (i.e., random combination of numbers and letters) and they just keep popping up on my feed.

That is possible, I do believe there may be people like this out there. Hence it is very hard shopping online for gemstones and really, unless we do our research properly we will have to learn from our mistakes (hopefully not a too expensive mistake).

An update on this, I have been discussing with the seller for a replacement stone or similar value. I am now looking at a bi-colour tourmaline as I didnt find a blue stone that I liked with the right colour and with no inclusion. Most importantly I could imagine myself wearing the bicolour tourmaline and already have a design in mind for it. If all goes well with returning the stone and replacing with the bi colour gem with no extra costs, I will be happy with this outcome. This time I asked for a lot of photos and videos and I even zoom super close to the gem to look for any possible inclusions so I dont get a nasty surprise.

Candylover

Rough_Rock
I got duped again...... The replacement stone had inclusion and it was hidden by the gem tongs when I asked for videos. I also asked if it was eye clean and they said yes. But I could still see the inclusions when I received the stone. Seller either lied or have poor eye sight. I have unfollowed their account and won't buy from them again! I just dislike dishonesty, as we are not able to physically be there we had to trust the seller in what they say and on the photos they send us. I paid £240 excluding the delivery fee, it was around £10 and it weighs 1.92 ct. I will have it set in a way so the prongs can hide the inclusion.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
I got duped again...... The replacement stone had inclusion and it was hidden by the gem tongs when I asked for videos. I also asked if it was eye clean and they said yes. But I could still see the inclusions when I received the stone. Seller either lied or have poor eye sight. I have unfollowed their account and won't buy from them again! I just dislike dishonesty, as we are not able to physically be there we had to trust the seller in what they say and on the photos they send us. I paid £240 excluding the delivery fee, it was around £10 and it weighs 1.92 ct. I will have it set in a way so the prongs can hide the inclusion.

Oh im so sad this didn't work out as well as hoped
but good luck with your ring and i can't wait to see it on your hand

JackTrick

Brilliant_Rock
Sorry you had a crummy experience! Are you still wanting to find a blue tourm? Maybe the PS folks can help!

voce

Ideal_Rock
I've heard other PS members comment on tourmalines cracking due to a temperature change. Perhaps the shipment was subjected to temperature changes so I would not assume it's the vendor's fault as @LilAlex obviously does.

Candylover

Rough_Rock
I've heard other PS members comment on tourmalines cracking due to a temperature change. Perhaps the shipment was subjected to temperature changes so I would not assume it's the vendor's fault as @LilAlex obviously does.

Blue and bicolour colour tourmalines are prone to stress. I also read that some mines tend to produce such stones. I don't know if they are from the same mine. However if it's once I could give them the benefit of doubt which I did. But this is the second time though? Although seller vouched they only buy high quality stones, both of my stones had cracks and I didn't drop them. That means there were existing stress causing it to crack and it could have happened during or before transit. Seller was nice when discussing the replacement stone and I got some small stones from seller which seller thinks they may go well with the bi colour one. However as the stones' quality is poor, I have opted out not shopping from them in the future.

Candylover

Rough_Rock
Sorry you had a crummy experience! Are you still wanting to find a blue tourm? Maybe the PS folks can help!

Yes I am but I will put that on hold until I have set my current stones, I have far too many loose stones that have yet been turned into a jewellery and husband is telling me to stop :lol-2: considering what I learnt from this experience I might not go for blue tourmaline anymore to eliminate risk and maybe a blue zircon as they are also studier and less expensive. I will be good and wait until its the right time

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results