shape
carat
color
clarity

Blue Nile using cobalt or nickel in there Tungsten Carbide??

mhova

Rough_Rock
Does anyone know what Blue Nile uses as a binder (either nickel, cobalt, or something else) in there tungsten carbide rings?

I've sifted through about 25pgs of Google search results but have not been able to find any information. I've emailed Blue Nile but as you can see from the emails below, it seems that they are either avoiding the actual question, or that they simply just don't know (which to me is just as bad).

Blue Nile,
I am interested in purchasing a particular tungsten-carbide wedding band, stock#20336. I understand that these rings are composed of 80% tungsten and 20% carbon, however, could you please inform me of what material Blue Nile uses for a binder in there tungsten-carbide rings?

Also, I have searched your website but have not been able to locate any warranty/guarantee policies regarding the Tungsten rings. I was hoping you could direct me to such information.

Thank you in advance for your assistance.
-Mark
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dear Mark,

Thank you for your email.

As the tungsten-carbide rings are made via a proprietary process, I am afraid that I don't have documentation of the exact materials used in the process. I can assure you, however, that what we offer is jewelry-grade tungsten-carbide so it should be 100% hypoallergenic.

Tungsten-carbide rings are subject to the same lifetime warranty as our other products. You may read more about our services from the link below:

http://www.bluenile.com/services.jsp

Please let me know how I might be of help going forward, and thank you for considering Blue Nile.

Best regards,

Michael Lindsey | Diamond & Jewelry Consultant
Blue Nile, Inc. | T 800.242.2728 | [email protected]
http://www.bluenile.com
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
To: "service" <service@email.bluenile.com>
Subject: Re: Tungsten ring binder [1646223]

Thank you for your reply. The reason I ask this question is because while other jewelers have claimed tungsten carbide to be hypoallergenic, I have become aware that this quality is largely dependent on the substance used as a binder in the manufacturing process. The substance is likely either nickel or cobalt, and surely there is somebody within Blue Nile that knows which one is used in the rings they are selling.

Can you give me an email address or other contact information of an individual that can provide an answer?

Thank you,
Mark
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hello Mark,

Our tungsten rings are 80% tungsten combined with 20% other metal alloys. The exact alloys used for the ring will depend on the manufacturers preferences, but all of our tungsten rings are hypoallergenic. We have many customers that are allergic to nickel and other common alloys, so they purchase our tungsten rings and do not have any problems.

Please let me know if you have any other questions and I hope that I was able to assist you with your question.

Sincerely,

Elizabeth Gagley | Diamond & Jewelry Consultant
Blue Nile, Inc. | T 800.242.2728 | [email protected]
http://www.bluenile.com

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results