shape
carat
color
clarity

blue diamond e-ring and wedding band!

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
it is my duty to report to you all that while at an event yesterday i spotted a very unusual wedding set and in true pricescope form had to ask about it. the stone was a rather large blue diamond solitaire set in...well, i don't know! it was the largest blue diamond i've seen on anyone's finger in real life! i was so focused on it that i did not note the setting! well, on top of that the wedding band was also set with blue diamonds: 4 rows of small matched blue diamonds. a very striking and unusual set. i can report the settings for both were white...assume it was white gold. the proud owner stated she has a lot of diamonds but finds them boring unless they have color........a sentiment i concur with! all the diamonds in this wedding set were blue!

she then called a friend over so i could admire that woman's wedding ring: rather large 'band' with a collection of every color of champagne diamonds on the official champagne diamond chart! the design was similar to those of alex sepkus......and was stunning with all the champagnes from light to dark set in gold.

end of report.

MoZo, pricescoper and color e-ring spotter

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock
Did it look like irradiated blue? I can't imagine a natural blue that big.

ksinger

Ideal_Rock
Premium
movie zombie|1309191104|2956221 said:
it is my duty to report to you all that while at an event yesterday i spotted a very unusual wedding set and in true pricescope form had to ask about it. the stone was a rather large blue diamond solitaire set in...well, i don't know! it was the largest blue diamond i've seen on anyone's finger in real life! i was so focused on it that i did not note the setting! well, on top of that the wedding band was also set with blue diamonds: 4 rows of small matched blue diamonds. a very striking and unusual set. i can report the settings for both were white...assume it was white gold. the proud owner stated she has a lot of diamonds but finds them boring unless they have color........a sentiment i concur with! all the diamonds in this wedding set were blue!

she then called a friend over so i could admire that woman's wedding ring: rather large 'band' with a collection of every color of champagne diamonds on the official champagne diamond chart! the design was similar to those of alex sepkus......and was stunning with all the champagnes from light to dark set in gold.

end of report.

MoZo, pricescoper and color e-ring spotter

Was it a scattered band? Like this? This pic doesn't do justice, but it has 38 gypsy set brown/orange/yellow diamonds in it....

ScreenHunter_01 Jun. 27 11.15.gif

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
band was quite large and the champagnes as well. more like this: http://www.alexsepkus.com/en.php/catalogue/rings/r_86/235
but bigger, better, and all around nicer re design and stones.

re blue: stone was about 4-5mm which in my book is large for a blue diamond. this was not a new setting but a beloved and much worn set. not sure how one would tell it if was irradiated or not by just looking and given the event it would have been very imprudent to ask. was it a true, clear "crystal" blue? no. but the tone and saturation were not masked and it was large enough and blue enough to illicit my asking what the stone was....it was obvious it wasn't an aqua or other blue stone. the smaller stones in the band were not pave but individual stones, not large though. the woman wearing the set also makes jewelry albeit not gemstone jewelry. i will have an opportunity to see the set again in December as i've been invited to an event she is hosting.....perhaps i'll find out more about it then.

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock
I like pink champagne

ksinger

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yeah, Sepkus. Oddly enough, I bought that band at Nancy Brown Jewelers of Santa Fe (sadly, no longer a going concern) when I spied it on my way out to further consider a Sepkus band they had in stock. I was on the way out the door and saw it in the case and fell in love. She also had one like it with white diamonds set in rose gold - just lovely, but I was looking for color.

Of course, I would probably choke on what it would cost at today's prices. :sick: (got it back in 2005)

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
How cool to see FCDs out there in real life.
Thanks for the report MZ.
I hope FCDs catch on more.

You can't be certain about naturalness without a lab report . . . but . . .
Mined natural diamonds that were irradiated to improve poor color often have this harsh green-blue metallic hue (though some naturals have a greenish blue that approaches this).

Synthetic lab-grown blues often have an almost-too-good-to-be-true pure blue (below) that's almost never seen in mined untreated blue diamonds.

You said it looked 4 to 5 mm but didn't mention the shape.
A 4.5mm round is near 1/3 carat which makes it more likely to be natural, but still very costly.
I think most buyers of synthetics and irradiated naturals would go larger.

The champagne FCDs in the wedding band is another clue that the owner "gets" natural FCDs, and may have happily splurged on a real natural blue engagement diamond.
I'd completely understand the appeal of giving such a precious and rare (and little-understood) diamond.

ir.jpeg

syn.jpg

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
Thanks!

Harry Winston has an emerald cut blue diamond with a culet on their site- omg, I wish I could have that stone. :((

smitcompton

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi,

I have 2 irradiated blue diamonds, 1.40.1,50 ctw. One of them is exactly as Kenny described, a greenish blue. The other is more blue, but medium blue. When I first purchased these I thought the greenish blue was very blue. It was not until I hadn't looked at them for a few yrs that I could see the color was not as I had remembered it.

I was having a good number of stones set by a Mall jeweler. I thought I would take my greenish blue in to him just to show him and ask for his comments. I showed him the ring and he quickly went to a showcase and brought out a 1.10 ctw, light blue diamond. He said, "Now I will show you a good irradiated blue diamond. It was gorgeous. He said when he found out about the process he took a good diamond and sent it to be irradiated and this is how it turned out. He let his sister wear it for 20 yrs but now was looking to sell it. He wanted $20,000.00 for it. My stone looked ugly comnpared to his. So you can have beautiful irradiated diamonds out there. The blue that Kenny showed has been called Carribean blue at some web-sites.

I still like mine, although there is nothing like a real blue.

Thanks,
Annette

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Danny I had to go look at the Harry Winston 5-ct Fancy Vivid Blue asscher.

OMG! What pure blue color!!!!!
This honker also looks too good to be true . . . but it better be true.

You'd think Harry would be able to center the prongs on the facets. :o

aqq.jpg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results