shape
carat
color
clarity

Blond Hair Toner - Amazing Result

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is a PSA about how to get the orange/brass out of your hair if you dye your dark brown hair blonde at home like I do, and if it ends up warmer than you'd like.

This is my first time using a toner. I took a chance on the new line of Wella Color Tango Toners at my local store, and I'm pleased with the way it took out the orange. I used 20 vol developer and left it on for 30 mins, and now I'm wheat-blond instead of ginger!

This toner, Champagne CT15, has a blue/violet base so it cancels out orange tones, since orange and blue are opposite each other on the color wheel.

I've tried hairdressers, some of them very expensive, but they all still left too much warmth. I've never had a blonde tone I've liked as much as this. And it cost $5.99 from my local Sally Beauty Supply.

Obviously, the photo on the top is before, and the bottom two after.

View attachment 684551 View attachment 684552
j.JPG J2.JPG hair top.JPG

Last edited:

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks, Callie! I always wanted to have this wheat shade of blonde but since my hair is naturally mid-brown, it just pulled so much orange when I dye it. So I settled for strawberry-blonde hair, which was only OK, as it didn't suit my cool skin tone. I tried everything - purple shampoo, all the Ash Blonde shades, and I paid a lot at the hairdressers sometimes, too. No one could get rid of the brassy warmth, and no one gave me a color as nice as this. It cost just $5.99.

If anyone else is trying to get orange/brass/yellow out of their dyed blonde hair, seriously look at the Wella lines of toners: Color Charm and Color Tango. You have to know what you're doing in terms of the color wheel, and you need to know what undertone the toner is (if your hair is too yellow you will need a violet-based toner and if it's too orange you'll need a blue-based toner.)

Hit me up for any queries.

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium
P.s. I have a lot of gray, another reason I tried to go blonde.

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’m a darker brunette who likes bright purple streaks (yup) but I love the results of that toner. It looks so natural and “soft” if you get what I mean.
Buy up some stock in case they discontinue it (bane of my life when I find the “perfect red lipstick” to find out later... oh we discontinued it.....)

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Very flattering @Jambalaya, love that color! Soft and pretty.

KaeKae

Ideal_Rock
Premium
So pretty. It looks perfect on you.
I'd love to try that color. I've never used a toner, is that applied separate from the base color?

Last edited:

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
I love the color! I pay a small fortune to have my hairdresser foil my hair..I would love to just wash it in and be done with it...My hair can turn orange and brassy..so I wouldn’t be brave enough to try it. I would have to crawl back to my hairdresser! :lol:

DAF

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Thanks for the tip. I have this issue as well: light to medium brown hair that doesn't lighten up to blonde when dyed. I'll have to head to Sally today, as I also have to get hair glue for my sheltie's ears.

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium
So pretty. It looks perfect on you.
I'd love to try that color. I've never used a toner, is that applied separate from the base color?

Thanks, everyone! I would happily pay top dollar at the salon if it came out right, but I never really liked it, and they certainly never made it a nice shade like this.

KaeKae, yes, you apply it after your main color. It adjusts the shade. There's lots about toners on the internet. The frustrating thing is that you can't buy them at mainstream stores - has to be a beauty supply store. They're supposed to be just for professional use. You need to mix it with developer. I did a lot of research and also a strand test before going for it.

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium
DAF - hair glue??

FYI everyone - your hair has to be pretty light for the blond toners to work. It's basically a double-process color - lighten to the desired level then add the color in with a toner - and double-process is how the nicest shades of blond are achieved, if you hair is naturally quite dark.

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium
DAF - beware of the Wella Color Charm toners. (Mine is Wella Color Tango Toner. There is also a line of Color Tango dyes. You want the toners.)

The Color Charm ones are made for hair that is bleached to the color of the inside of a banana skin - very pale yellow. And be very wary of ash toners, as they have a green base, and can turn your hair blue or green. I'd talk to a sales associate if I were you, because toners are a real color science, and the reason mine worked so well is because it has a blue base and my color was VERY ORANGE!

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Also get a blue shampoo and conditioner like Aveda blue Malva and use that once a week.

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi Whitewave, I've used various blue and purple shampoos and conditioners including the Aveda one and the Oribe one, and none of them have made the slightest difference at all. I think if your'e naturally dark and you pull hot orange when you go lighter, they're not strong enough to do anything. Perhaps theyr'e better on "real" blondes or people with gray hair, but I've been very disappointed in them, and I don't understand the fuss about them. I'd leave them on for ten minutes as I showered - both shampoo and then conditioner - and still have the same old orange after I stepped out of the shower!

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi Whitewave, I've used various blue and purple shampoos and conditioners including the Aveda one and the Oribe one, and none of them have made the slightest difference at all. I think if your'e naturally dark and you pull hot orange when you go lighter, they're not strong enough to do anything. Perhaps theyr'e better on "real" blondes or people with gray hair, but I've been very disappointed in them, and I don't understand the fuss about them. I'd leave them on for ten minutes as I showered - both shampoo and then conditioner - and still have the same old orange after I stepped out of the shower!

I have dark blonde hair that is highlighted, and I pull red real bad. I guess maybe there is a certain limit to how well they work. I tried a new brand and it works very well. I bought it at a license only salon supply store (I meet my hairdresser there and go nuts buying things) and so I don’t know the name. It’s VERY pigmented, and I do damp hair and leave shampoo on for 20 mins before washing. I’ll take a pic when I get home, but I guess like you said, It may not work for all.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results