shape
carat
color
clarity

Bling Projects for 2020

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
In 2020, I'd like to finish my charm bracelet, at least start my next diamond bangle (which will match my existing diamond bangle), set my new grey spinel (this will be a three stone with AVR sides; I have one and the second one is currently being sourced by Jon W.), set my yellow sapphire (diamonds bought, setting still to come), set my new blue pearl (this really only needs to be assembled; I just haven't gotten around to it yet), and set my new EC (plain bezel setting). That would finish my earring collection, my pin collection, my necklace collection, and my bangle and bracelet collection. It would also aaaaalmost finish my ring collection - ie finish my entire collection, but I still have one major ring upgrade to go, and I don't know when that will happen, or what form it will take.

elle_71125

Ideal_Rock
Premium
- I’d like to set my 1.5ct August Vintage cushion. I’ve been really torn over how to set it...it’s kinda driving me nuts.

- I want to find the perfect 8mm gem for my sadly empty VC ring. Maybe a pink or green (or a yellow, or purple...:shifty:) but most assuredly saturated.

Any other bling purchases / projects will be a complete bonus.

Dandi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have now acquired my 8 pointer shared prong eternity RHR, so tick that one off the list! I have a small emerald cut on the way from Blue Nile which I plan to set just like this as another RHR:
IMG_0207.jpg

I'm also hoping for a rose gold DBTY bracelet with 10 pointers this year or perhaps next, to stack with my WG tennis bracelet. Down the track I'd love a band like this in rose gold, to stack with my new WG shared prong band (inspired by @Matthews1127's beautiful band!):
il_794xN.1339367570_mkfa.jpg

That should see me through to my 40th in 2022 when I plan on celebrating with an AVC in a rose gold solitaire! :mrgreen:

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Update on 2020 so far...

Bought a pair of small Moissy huggies.
Bought a YAG in modified.
EC/radiant cut from another PSer.
Bought a small heart Moissy and having a silver ring made for free as part of a promotion.
Bought a small intense pink round stone from Jeff W, only about 5mm the colour of the rough is gorgeous! Still in the process of paying it with another 2 installments.
Jeff will look out for a bigger stone for me.
A bench in UK has been approached for my interchangeable pendant project. Unfortunately bangle is out of the question.

Next up would be to have a ring or two made.

Moissy bracelet is still on the card.

DK :))

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well, so much for bling ban lol.

I personally don’t like to have hoards of stones sitting unset in a safe deposit box, and I decided one day to price out with DK getting my round yellow sapphire set in a daisy ring with ideal cut lab stones.

I want to go cheap but nice and I thought this would be the stone and setting to try out the lab stone flavor and if they depreciate a lot, so what who cares, I have a nice ring.

So it’s getting made by him as we speak.

FAC71B4C-0DDD-4A76-B861-F02777F7CBF9.jpeg 7788BDAE-3470-4A93-9BB0-8303E3B5C5AD.jpeg 030E2A7E-5DEB-49BA-8DE1-4BDB15BCB8F9.jpeg

Size 10.25 and will fit my 4 largest fingers, though it’s intended to be a pointer finger ring.

I don’t think I’ll be able to post it on show me the bling since it doesn’t have mined diamonds.

And oh, the lab stones are 3mm G si

Niffler75

Brilliant_Rock
So far in 2020 I have
Bought a lovely zingy spessartite orange trilogy ring.
I am experimenting for the first time buying some loose stones. I have a 2.6ct spessartite, 1.5ct yellow/ green tourmaline, x2 5mm round brilliant Mali garnets and have another 2ct gold orange Mali garnet on the way.
I have found a local jeweller and will be setting some of these stones in silver. Super excited to be able to wear my own designs for the first time. =)2

Niffler75

Brilliant_Rock
Also just received these little sparkly babies. Mali garnets 5mm brilliant rounds. The dispersion is fab and you can see orange, green and yellow. Saving these as side stones to go with a 2ct mali garnet I have ordered. 20200123_192538.jpg

Matthews1127

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have now acquired my 8 pointer shared prong eternity RHR, so tick that one off the list! I have a small emerald cut on the way from Blue Nile which I plan to set just like this as another RHR:
IMG_0207.jpg

I'm also hoping for a rose gold DBTY bracelet with 10 pointers this year or perhaps next, to stack with my WG tennis bracelet. Down the track I'd love a band like this in rose gold, to stack with my new WG shared prong band (inspired by @Matthews1127's beautiful band!):
il_794xN.1339367570_mkfa.jpg

That should see me through to my 40th in 2022 when I plan on celebrating with an AVC in a rose gold solitaire! :mrgreen:

They’re GORGEOUS!! Love the RG!!! ♥️

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@whitewave there are SMTB threads for lab created stones in the Fashion Jewellery section of this board.

Come and play!

DK :bigsmile:

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
Well, so much for bling ban lol.

I personally don’t like to have hoards of stones sitting unset in a safe deposit box, and I decided one day to price out with DK getting my round yellow sapphire set in a daisy ring with ideal cut lab stones.

I want to go cheap but nice and I thought this would be the stone and setting to try out the lab stone flavor and if they depreciate a lot, so what who cares, I have a nice ring.

So it’s getting made by him as we speak.

FAC71B4C-0DDD-4A76-B861-F02777F7CBF9.jpeg 7788BDAE-3470-4A93-9BB0-8303E3B5C5AD.jpeg 030E2A7E-5DEB-49BA-8DE1-4BDB15BCB8F9.jpeg

Size 10.25 and will fit my 4 largest fingers, though it’s intended to be a pointer finger ring.

I don’t think I’ll be able to post it on show me the bling since it doesn’t have mined diamonds.

And oh, the lab stones are 3mm G si

@whitewave The color of your sapphire is so pretty! Your ring is going to be gorgeous!

rainydaze

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would like to reset my ering (1.36 OEC) and add an engraved band and either a VanC band or a diamond band of some sort.

There are other things I'd like to do but it's taking me forever to decide on the project above that I don't think I'll get to the others any time soon.

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@whitewave there are SMTB threads for lab created stones in the Fashion Jewellery section of this board.

Come and play!

DK :bigsmile:

Great! I’ll come take a look and post mine when I get it.

chroman

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Coming late to the game - my 2020 project is meta - want to get a faceting machine!

SapphireLover

Brilliant_Rock
A2063169-7972-41F3-87A1-400B30FF1EFA.jpeg C7A60FE2-18E3-4A16-AFFF-898F2B6F0445.jpeg
I love @DorotheaBrooke’s necklace and keep thinking of having my 0.8ct pendant reset into something similar. It’s breathtaking.

I am also going to get these earrings remade. They were my grandmothers and although the diamonds are old, the blue is actually glass and not sapphire. The bezels are very worn. I am going to get them made into a 4 prong setting with screw backs.

voce

Ideal_Rock
Coming late to the game - my 2020 project is meta - want to get a faceting machine!

Please let us know what the budget for this would be, and share your experiences!

I've considered faceting stuff myself, since I enjoy math-y things and design, but I'm not very patient and wonder if I'd actually put in the time to cut enough gemstones for it to be worth the purchase of equipment.

bling_dream19

Ideal_Rock
Ok here are my bling projects!
1. I ordered a .75ct diamond cocktail oec ring today - can't wait to get it!
2. Make my honeymoon ring out of the pink sapphire we got
3. Set my preloved lavender spinel into my preloved Maytal Hannah halo
4. Decide if I'm keeping my 5 carat tennis bracelet I got from Costco a little while ago. I love it but I'm not sure if I can do better for a lower cost. I got it on sale for great price. I plan to check with IDJ.
5. Decide if I'm keeping my 1.5ct 7 stone diamond band for my rh from Costco. I love it and got it on sale too. I'm just not sure if I "need it" lol. I don't need anything. I got it thinking I want something flat and sparkly to wear everyday. But now it feels like another band. And I have my wedding band for left hand. It just feels like the big sister to my wedding band lol and it doesn't look good with my ering.
6. Starting to pine for an icy white halo blinged out pear ring!!!
7. Get a platinum chain for my 1.7ct G vintage diamond heart set in platinum that I wore for my wedding. I wore it with a 14k wg chain but my mind wants a platinum chain.
Ok this was fun! And it's fun to hear about others bling projects! :wavey:

bling_dream19

Ideal_Rock
Inspired by @winnietucker's thread, what are your bling projects for 2020?

For me, reuniting with my jewellery is the first and foremost (too embarrassed to tell the tale right now).

I would like to set my mum's MRB either as a pendant or in a bracelet.

I would like to set some of my CSs and at least one of my lab-created CSs as rings.

Lastly, I would like to start paying towards a significant stone to be cut by Jeff White, a 8mm stone, likely to be a round neon pink Sapphire, an oval or a round Tsavorite Garnet, or a top colour Sapphire in his signature Asscher cut (I want a windmill).

A Moissy bezel set tennis bracelet is on the card too.

So is a pair of flower cluster diamond stud earrings.

If I don't set my mum's MRB as a pendant, then I shall get a diamond pendant, most likely to be a smaller version of the paved puff heart pendant that I used to have (now sold) so that it is more wearable.

How about anyone else?

Can't wait to see your round neon pink sapphire!!! :kiss2:

chroman

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Please let us know what the budget for this would be, and share your experiences!
I’ll have to start a thread over in CS when/if I actually get going.

Budget wise, a new machine is something like 3.5-5k, depending on the vendor (there arn’t that many these days). Used machines pop up, but I dont know enough to evaluate if one might be a lemon.

Then there’s laps - maybe 250-500+ to get started, depending on what you get (more options here than on machines).

And then a variety of 10-50/each odds and ends (loupes, tweezers, adhisives, calipers, and so on).

And then rough, of course.

There’s a really good two volume book series by Tom Herbst you might want to check out first. It’s not that expensive and seems to be the modern book for beginners.

KristinTech

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
DH gave me a 4mm blue sapphire pair for Christmas, and I’m setting them in the center of Lily earrings (pendant x 2) from Yvonne Raley. Lots of little paraiba tourmaline, too! I’m excited for them, I had a specific idea in mind about the construction — short drop leverback with dangle. I should have them in a few weeks!

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I ordered a tennis and a DBTY bracelets from Bericle at significantly less than the Moissy tennis bracelet I have in mind.

I may ditch the Moissy bracelet idea if these are good enough substitutes.

CHRISTY-DANIELLE

Ideal_Rock
I'm trying to be good, but it's so hard! My oec ring is finally in production and DK is also repronging an antique ring and setting it with a blue zircon (I did not need, but I am weak) I just bought off LT . I'm going to TRY the bling ban again in Feb.
My dh thinks we should get new flooring this year instead of jewelry. His words, not mine. ;-)

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Final decision (she says), my mum's MRB will be set in a bangle, as I would wear that a lot more often than I would wear a pendant.

GliderPoss

Ideal_Rock
Premium
What a great thread - so much inspiration:dance:

Major project this year is to get Daniel M to create my gemstone bracelet (inspired by Jane Taylor Jewellery pics below whose work I ADORE but is waaaaay out of my price range).

I’ve sent him my 3 little EC’s - purples with a teeny pop of bright green for the middle. Haven’t finalised design yet. Hoping to start once finances recover from moving interstate...

3743186E-C0EB-4BBB-97B4-B54D44179411.jpeg DDFD3FD8-D81B-4EF0-8F88-CFB151B56E88.jpeg

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What a great thread - so much inspiration:dance:

Major project this year is to get Daniel M to create my gemstone bracelet (inspired by Jane Taylor Jewellery pics below whose work I ADORE but is waaaaay out of my price range).

I’ve sent him my 3 little EC’s - purples with a teeny pop of bright green for the middle. Haven’t finalised design yet. Hoping to start once finances recover from moving interstate...

3743186E-C0EB-4BBB-97B4-B54D44179411.jpeg DDFD3FD8-D81B-4EF0-8F88-CFB151B56E88.jpeg

I literally gasped when I just saw this. Stunning. Those colors. I love these so much. ❤

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
This year I started with a bang...I purchased an antique asscher/emerald cut diamond. David is setting it in a baguette setting. It will be a smidge bigger than 13x14mm which is huge for me. I just finalized the cad so I’m in the queue.
I also purchased an ACA which I’m having set in a temporary setting with the purpose of upgrading next year in clarity and color..I may do it in steps depending on what I have to spend next year. When I’m finished upgrading..David will make me a simple solitaire setting..
I‘m still in the search for an 8mm round gemstone to replace the topaz in my good setting. I put the topaz in it but I don’t wear it. I want to find a stone and have DK set it and resize the ring for my right hand. I would love a gray spinel. Since I know nothing about how to go about purchasing one without a window..it’s going to take me all this year unless someone knows one. It can’t be deeper than 5.08mm..and at 8mm round..it’s a challenge..
I'm also going to thin out my band collection...and a few right hand rings and earrings.
After that I am done...I will happily enjoy seeing everyone’s new sparklies!

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
I forgot my diamond heart bezel stacking ring thats currently being made by David. It‘s .71ctw vs1 G color...That’s my sweet spot for diamonds...so had to get that for my Bailey. He’s 11 now and still with me..but wanted to have it made now.
19BDBE4A-EFBC-4D45-8360-B731D070CC18.png

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I forgot my diamond heart bezel stacking ring thats currently being made by David. It‘s .71ctw vs1 G color...That’s my sweet spot for diamonds...so had to get that for my Bailey. He’s 11 now and still with me..but wanted to have it made now.
19BDBE4A-EFBC-4D45-8360-B731D070CC18.png

Heartlicious! Love this. The shape is perfect. ❤

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results