shape
carat
color
clarity

Bling for my AVR

Polished

Brilliant_Rock
I recently reset my I coloured .74 AVR into a more vintage inspired setting. I hope you enjoy the pictures.

avr-1.jpg

avr-2.jpg

avr-3.jpg

Polished

Brilliant_Rock
And here's some more photos.

avr-4.jpg

avr-5.jpg

avr-6.jpg

Polished

Brilliant_Rock
The ring was made by a local jewelers that has a great reputation. I am very happy with the way it turned out and really love wearing it. Although I did want opinions. My finger is a size 4 and the centre AVR isn't huge - a .74 ct. I just wonder whether the two teardrops on either side of the band are overwhelming for my hand or for the diamond? Would the ring design work if the sides were removed? I might just be having adjustment issues but I just want it to be right. It's a combination of platinum and yellow gold.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Unique and very beautiful!

MarionC

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I drew in a quick breath of admiration when I saw the first photo. A beautiful ring!

thecat

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
It's so beautiful! I love the wraps on the side and the shank with edge look.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thumbs up! I love the triple shank and the combo of white/gold metals...really pretty!

On the sides...have you considered ding flur-de-lis design instead of 3 separate pieces? Just an idea since you were thinking about
modifications.

Rockinruby

Ideal_Rock
It's beautiful! :appl:

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm generally not in favor of larger side stones, but the pears do not seem to take away from the center at all. Do you mind posting some perspective shots, further away? I think the style of the setting suits your AVR very nicely.

chicam

Shiny_Rock
Honestly I think the side stones overwhelm the center stone, otherwise beautiful ring.

Tekate

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Unique! lovely.. thank you for sharing! I love the side stones and don't think they overwhelm the ring at all, the setting is well made as the sides slant a bit downward really shining on the middle stone (beautiful AVR btw)... as I said, it's lovely, I love the combination of the golds.. very unique (again)..

:love: :love: :love:

apacherose

Brilliant_Rock
Beautiful stone and ring! I think it is gorgeous.

CRYSTAL24K

Brilliant_Rock
I love it! I don't think the side stones are overwhelming. :appl:

nycspring

Shiny_Rock
Gorgeous!! The milgrain detailing in the sidestones is a nice contrast to your sparkling center stone, letting it be the star of the show. I love it.

ac117

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is gorgeous!! :appl:

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ohhh, I think it is gorgeous, too! :love: A lovely compliment to the AVR! Your jeweler did a nice job!

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think your AVR looks beautiful in the new setting! I love the hand presence the side stones add and I think the diamond shows up beautifully. Looks gorgeous!

kathley

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
One-of-a-kind ring...gorgeous!

Polished

Brilliant_Rock
Not terrific photos but a bit of distance.

avr-7.jpg

dsc00902.jpg

Polished

Brilliant_Rock
I found this ring similar to mine but without the sides. It's a lovely ring but I'm not sure I want mine this narrowed down.

2015-08-29_16.jpg

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love this and would not change a thing about it. It's proportions give it it's style and because of the angle of the diamonds does not overwhelm but is part of the look in my opinion. Love the band too and it suits the centre diamond. You should be thrilled as it looks very well made. Beautiful.

Polished

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you very much Neil, Jimmianne, thecat, tyty333, Rockinruby, LLJsmom, chicam, Tekate, apacherose, CRYSTAL24K, nycspring, acano117, diamondseeker, junebug and kathley for your compliments and very useful feedback. I haven't made my mind up completely yet whether to keep the sidestones or not. My first reaction when looking at the finished ring was that they overwhelmed the stone but I've noticed that a lot of the time the lighting means that the centre diamond is bright white while the platinum part of the shank simply recedes into a far from prominent grey, so I'm inclined to keep the ring as is and enjoy it.

I have other rings that satisfy the simple the clean lines side of me, I love those sets that feature on here. But ooh I love the package too and for a long time I've felt the urge for some fru fru; a go to town ring and this hasn't disappointed. I don't need huge diamonds I need a little variety.

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Polished|1445770530|3941876 said:
I found this ring similar to mine but without the sides. It's a lovely ring but I'm not sure I want mine this narrowed down.

This looks like every other ring but yours is better.

Polished

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks Pyramid only just seen your post. I actually think the shank is shockingly overwhelming for the stone - but somehow when I cover the sidestones is looks like it is lacking something. TYTY's suggestion of fleur-de-lis instead of the sidestones made me think. I might run it past my jeweller. But you're right it is a really well made ring; all concerns fade when the background (sides) recedes to a shadow and a nice bright diamond is offset by the glow of the yellow gold rings further down.

Polished

Brilliant_Rock
Pyramid|1445771705|3941881 said:
Polished|1445770530|3941876 said:

This looks like every other ring but yours is better.

Ah Pyramid you've made my night!

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Polished|1445772377|3941882 said:
Thanks Pyramid only just seen your post. I actually think the shank is shockingly overwhelming for the stone - but somehow when I cover the sidestones is looks like it is lacking something. TYTY's suggestion of fleur-de-lis instead of the sidestones made me think. I might run it past my jeweller. But you're right it is a really well made ring; all concerns fade when the background (sides) recedes to a shadow and a nice bright diamond is offset by the glow of the yellow gold rings further down.

Hi Polished :)

For my money, despite being a great design, I find it too big for the center stone. When the side stones sit wider than the center stone, I tend to think you lose that 'center stone as the star of the show' look. Since you have one of the world's great diamonds there, I would want it to be the focus. But rather than completely removing the sides, how would it be if you removed the marquise part of the design and moved back the two pear shapes so their points met. As a result, the V they formed would be considerably smaller without giving you something too far different to the spirit of what you currently have.

Just a thought. Either way, I think if you best enjoy your ring when "the background recedes to a shadow", your ring isn't performing nearly as well for you as it should. If it's only a smidge off-base and not worth the effort to change and you can live with it without changing it - great. Sometimes the search for 'the perfect setting' can be endless. But if you have to pretend a chunk of it isn't there before you can fully enjoy it, I'd suggest switching it up.

Just my 2c for what it's worth, and I hope you love your ring wherever you land. :wavey:

ETA And ditto on the fleur de lis suggestion

Polished

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you for your input mrs blop. I had not thought of doing away with the marquise part of the design and moving the two pears shapes to form a V - a kind of split shank look? I actually like the sound of that. It's true I can't just pretend to like and explain away the part I don't care for; the ring needs to work as a whole and enhance rather than detract from the parts that are already lovely. I'll talk to my jeweler. Perhaps only part of the marquise could be removed and the V could join up with the marquise further down the shank. The possibilities are exciting - why remove when you can re-arrange.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I really think the ring would have to be recast to turn out right if you want to make modifications. So I think whether you want to change it may partly depend on how much he would charge to remake the ring. It is ironic but the ring I was working on with Caysie had a similar shank with your center elements only. But here is a Singlestone ring that has the split shank with no center piece.

ssella1.jpg

ssella2.jpg

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'll add, though, that if you want the split shank, near the stone, I am not sure that the three wire shank is the best shank for that. Usually those will have the center part of your sides extending up to the basket.

Polished

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks Diamondseeker that helps to clarify things for me. The Singlestone ring you posted is gorgeous and shows how it best works without the centre piece that mine has. I'll be taking mine in to see my jeweler to see what can be done - I think I would be happier with it without the side stones. The head on the ring is beautiful and at the moment some of this feature is being obscured. I think I'm also a person who prefers simplicity in jewelery, although I'm still liking the fleur-de-lis idea.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results