shape
carat
color
clarity

Black widow in my yard (photo)

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Who's brave enough to look at this photo of a black widow in my back yard?
It's late summer, and the black widows are active in my back yard. Here in the Southwest, they are common. They love sheltered rocky areas to live in.
This one is not real big. Her abdomen is about 6mm around. About the size of a .75 0EC! I had to throw that in! I'm sure she will grow larger if I leave her alone. They are not aggressive, and will run away if you get close to them or poke at their web with a stick. Really, she's just doing her thing, waiting to catch a meal.
There are lots more around the yard. There are also brown widows. They are various shades of brown and tan with stripes on their bodies. They also have the hourglass shape on their underside, but it is light colored.
Now being this is the high desert, not many folks have grass in their yards. Landscaping is mostly gravel, rocks, and cactus-like native plants. So we are careful of sticking our hands in potted plants, etc. And we are not running around the yard in bare feet!
Anyway, here she is.
IMG_20190804_120453320.jpg

Last edited:

Rubymal

Shiny_Rock
Very neat! My brother has one that lives in the sconce of his front porch light. He always reminds me to watch out and "leave the black widow alone if you see it" because its eating bugs for him!

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Very neat! My brother has one that lives in the sconce of his front porch light. He always reminds me to watch out and "leave the black widow alone if you see it" because its eating bugs for him!
I'm used to seeing them, so they don't freak me out. I think they are really interesting. Of course, I wouldn't harass one. Not taking a chance on getting bitten! I know where they like to hang out, and I observe them at a respectful distance!:eek2:

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
She's a beaut. Here we have wood spiders that are big and furry and look like tarantulas. They're pretty scary. We also have brown recluses and you gotta watch out for those inside in the fall because they'll hole up in your shoes or anyplace dark. My only issue with spiders is when they build webs in my doorways and I walk right out into them sometimes. Then I feel terrible for ruining their web. :(2 And for messing up my hair. :mrgreen2:

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
She's a beaut. Here we have wood spiders that are big and furry and look like tarantulas. They're pretty scary. We also have brown recluses and you gotta watch out for those inside in the fall because they'll hole up in your shoes or anyplace dark. My only issue with spiders is when they build webs in my doorways and I walk right out into them sometimes. Then I feel terrible for ruining their web. :(2 And for messing up my hair. :mrgreen2:
In your shoes? Yowza! I did find a black widow in the basement once. But mostly they stay outside.
We do occasionally have house spiders, and they hang up high on the walls. I sometimes release them outside.

tkyasx78

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Yikes! Time to move to a deadly spider free yard!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
She is beautiful and I am happy to admire her from a distance.:love: Thanks @stracci2000

House Cat

Ideal_Rock
Premium
She’s beautiful! Maybe it’s time to give her a name...

Bonfire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
These garden spiders are very common where I live. They show up in late summer into fall. This one liked my big leafed Japanese Knotweed. Their bodies can be an inch long! They have black bodies with bright yellow or orange markings. Their webs are huge!
They scare the bejeezus out of me! :-o

DDB455BB-5A7A-4F97-AAAD-D5F5C00DC9A7.jpeg

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Very cool @stracci2000 ...we used to find them in culverts when we were younger (grew up with two brothers). Spiders and snakes dont usually bother
me.

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
These garden spiders are very common where I live. They show up in late summer into fall. This one liked my big leafed Japanese Knotweed.

Isn't Japanese Knotweed totally invasive and basically impossible to remove??! :???:

Bonfire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Isn't Japanese Knotweed totally invasive and basically impossible to remove??! :???:
YES!! It was here when we purchased the house. We’ve tried EVERYTHING! poisoning (multiple attempts) digging repeatedly (tubers go too deep). We laid thick sod over it and just mow it regularly. :eek2:

OreoRosies86

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I blurred out my child’s info, but like 7 years ago we were in the ER for a black widow bite!

On the plus side the discharge paperwork is pretty rad, and I learned a lot about black widows :lol:

D04CF107-91B9-4B0D-8C3A-155C0B020F18.jpeg

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
YES!! It was here when we purchased the house. We’ve tried EVERYTHING! poisoning (multiple attempts) digging repeatedly (tubers go too deep). We laid thick sod over it and just mow it regularly. :eek2:
I'm afraid to say that (IIRC...) the research done over here has concluded that it is impossible to remove - it will regrow from a fingernail-sized piece of root that was missed on a removal session! :o

Bonfire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm afraid to say that (IIRC...) the research done over here has concluded that it is impossible to remove - it will regrow from a fingernail-sized piece of root that was missed on a removal session! :o
Exactly right! I’ve read the same things about it. It’s a scourge! It’s also illegal to dump it. It needs to be destroyed by burning.
So sorry for the thread jack.

Last edited:

House Cat

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I blurred out my child’s info, but like 7 years ago we were in the ER for a black widow bite!

On the plus side the discharge paperwork is pretty rad, and I learned a lot about black widows :lol:

D04CF107-91B9-4B0D-8C3A-155C0B020F18.jpeg
My dad was bitten once. He refused to see a doctor until the bite was green. He now has permanent fang marks where he was bitten.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

I appreciate the work spiders do (may I never be on their bad side....LOL). We have some hanging about--and we have fewer pests because of them. I talk to them and ask them to stay outside--they appear to understand! LOL

cheers--Sharon

OreoRosies86

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My dad was bitten once. He refused to see a doctor until the bite was green. He now has permanent fang marks where he was bitten.

It really is scary. The ER doctor could tell by the fang size that it was an older, bigger spider. Apparently the small young ones hold the most venom. I remember when the townhouse sent a guy out to spray. It was cicada season and there was a long trail of cicada carcasses that had been eaten my the black widows in their nest. That was a “damn nature you scary” kind of summer.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It really is scary. The ER doctor could tell by the fang size that it was an older, bigger spider. Apparently the small young ones hold the most venom. I remember when the townhouse sent a guy out to spray. It was cicada season and there was a long trail of cicada carcasses that had been eaten my the black widows in their nest. That was a “damn nature you scary” kind of summer.

:eek-2::lol::eek-2:

Bonfire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Anyone remember those scenes in Stephen King’s The Mist? Eee...yikes!
Spiders have always scared me , since I was a child. I know they are helpful in nature but...:shock: Even reading Charlotte’s Web didn’t help.

CHRISTY-DANIELLE

Ideal_Rock
I've gotten so used to spiders. We live in north Texas on a lake, lots of woods, a real insect heaven. I have spiders that live in my sideview mirrors even! Driving down the road with a spider on the window is my norm, lol.

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm a total arachnophobe, what the heck am I doing in this thread! Can't even read it. :eek2:

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
:eek2:

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm a total arachnophobe, what the heck am I doing in this thread! Can't even read it. :eek2:
This... WHY did I open this thread... :eek2::eek2::eek2:

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Tekate

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I believe critters outside, humans and pets inside. I would never hurt a spider outside, they do a wonderful job in the environment. But it comes into my home I will try to get it out but if not it must go. We had a tarantula in our backyard in Austin, once it came into my garage, but I told it, it's you or me buddy! and I shooed it out with a broom. We had a scorpion in the house once and it bite my dog :( that was hell to get rid of but I did. You're a good lady!

CHRISTY-DANIELLE

Ideal_Rock
I am kind of live and let live about the spiders, but I should mention we also have snakes here. Nasty ones like poisonous water moccasins (climb right out of the water and into my yard), and copperheads.
So those are my "Ewww..." critters. Hate 'em.

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ewww. I dream about spiders dropping off the ceiling onto me constantly (does that mean something?). Total arachnophobia. I am so glad to now live where there are no black widows. We do have fiddlebacks and those uuugglyyy hairy ones that are in the ground. I try not to wear flip flops out to the barn but I forgot to spray this year and they are terrible!

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The thing is, I just CAN'T not open a spider thread. It's like if I don't do it, then it may be worse than I think. I can't explain it. I have to see what I don't want to see, but I can't read about any of the details or I'll have spider nightmares, seriously.:eek2:

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The thing is, I just CAN'T not open a spider thread. It's like if I don't do it, then it may be worse than I think. I can't explain it. I have to see what I don't want to see, but I can't read about any of the details or I'll have spider nightmares, seriously.:eek2:
Did you see that horrible movie Arachnophobia some years ago? I watched and I have no idea how I managed to get through it. Nightmares for days. Why did I do it? I have no idea. Maybe the same reason you and I opened this thread. :lol:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results