carat
color
clarity

Birthday RHR for a first-time emerald buyer [Emerald & Diamond Trilogy]

Eli22

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Hi everyone!

My husband gave me a modest budget to purchase a ring for my 40th birthday, and I decided to go for an emerald! I’ve always admired them, but have never owned one.

I found a jeweler online who worked with me on finding an emerald and designing my dream ring. I had a 3-stone emerald & diamond ring in mind.

Here were my initial choices (they sent me photos/videos of 3 different parcels of emeralds and I narrowed it down based on looks/budget):
7FEBF9F4-6313-4A63-8CAC-921C3E55442D.jpeg

Here is a render of the ring we designed:

AD94477E-3736-4192-BE26-44126332625D.jpeg

I chose the 1.61 because I liked the color and it looked the best to my untrained eye. Emerald details according to jeweler: "electric vivid green color, transparent clarity, measures 7.6 x 6.5 mm origin from Muzo, Colombia"

Here is the sneak peek they sent me of the completed ring:

7504FC76-3AEC-49C9-A57B-C07B037E6793.JPG

I (sadly) did not consult PS first to figure out what was desirable/undesirable in an emerald. I know now that my emerald is lighter than ideal color (?), has a lot of inclusions, and has dead spots/windowing (?). However, I still think it’s pretty. Am I crazy???

Here it is on my (very dry) hand. It looks so much better in person vs in photos/videos...it practically glows!
IMG_8029.jpg

Here's the video (pls excuse my unmanicured nails :cheeky:):

I did send it back for adjustments to the bezel work, but I think I will keep it, as it's a good starter emerald ring, and my husband's special gift to me ;)2 Now that I am more educated, I will look to upgrade sometime in the future!

Attachments

• 41A793DE-56B5-4B3D-95D0-EC91C6E3A3C9.jpeg
    41A793DE-56B5-4B3D-95D0-EC91C6E3A3C9.jpeg
    37.2 KB · Views: 48

Avondale

Brilliant_Rock
Who cares if the colour is trade ideal? As long as it's your ideal, that's all that matters. And okay, so it has a window and some inclusions, but it still looks beautiful on your hand. You can always have more rings and more emeralds in the future but this emerald ring will remain your 40th birthday present and will always be special and unique just for that. I hope wearing it brings you a lot of joy!

I agree with everyone else! This is a beautiful ring!! You mentioned you had a "modest" budget. That means different things to different folks, but I think you did really well considering. When I saw your choices, I had hoped you chose the 1.61ct. lol Emeralds are infamous for not photographing well. So I know if I see a nice looking emerald here, it must be exponentially finer in person. This ring also has sentimental value, which is priceless... enjoy it! And happy birthday!! :kiss2:

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gorgeous stone and ring, and 1.61ct would be my choice too, and I love the setting.

Thanks for sharing!

DK :kiss2::kiss2::kiss2:

lilmosun

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's beautiful and looks great on your hand!

CaseyLouLou

Brilliant_Rock
I happen to prefer the lighter colored emeralds because they glow. You should need to upgrade unless you personally like something else more. Looks gorgeous to me!

Dandi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It turned out beautifully!! I love the stone you chose, and the setting is perfect. Happy Birthday! :kiss2:

ItsMainelyYou

Ideal_Rock
Bah! This was a stone picked as your ideal. It's a beauty and will be loved- well done, it doesn't get more ideal than that :love:

CHRISTY-DANIELLE

Ideal_Rock
I love the emerald you picked. And a perfect setting imo. Enjoy!

Shazam22

Rough_Rock
I love it! I would have chosen the same. Happy Birthday!

Slickk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ooooh!! Sooooo pretty!! I think the color is delish and I am in love with how you set this!! So wearable and lovely!!

gregchang35

Ideal_Rock
Nice choices on the emerald and the setting.

The 1.61 would have been my choice, too. It has a glow and presence!!

Classic setting. Can’t go wrong.

Happy bday! And, enjoy it well.

As for what is trade ideal- what you were presented with- a budget. And you chose well. Most emeralds will have jardin (inclusions) and most are cut to keep weight- so some windowing will occur.

Otherwise, the stone would cost a lot more!!!

Eli22

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Thank you, everyone for the sweet compliments and birthday wishes! Sorry for the delayed reply- I was on an internet detox after my bday ;)2

You guys are absolutely correct- the process and the sentiment behind the ring are what make it extra special. I am grateful for everyone’s input and am enjoying the ring very much.

Have a wonderful Friday/weekend, everyone! :kiss2::kiss2::kiss2:

@Cinders @clumberlove @Avondale @Autumn in New England @dk168 @lilmosun @CaseyLouLou @Dandi @ItsMainelyYou @CHRISTY-DANIELLE @Shazam22 @Slick1 @gregchang35

springerspaniel

Brilliant_Rock
As everyone else said--emeralds are funny animals, and choosing what you love best is what counts. Your stone absolutely glows and I love it on your hand!

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Beautiful stone and setting!
Enjoy wearing this beautiful present

Eli22

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I wanted to close the loop and give everyone an update on this ring.

Once again, I am super grateful for everyone’s well-wishes and reminders that this ring is incredibly special due to the sentiment.

I did two things that ultimately made me happier about the ring:

1) I sent it back to the jeweler for revisions to the bezel work. I wanted a more “structured” ring and that’s not what I got. Thankfully, they did a great job on the redo:
8826C211-A292-4F2C-9BE2-11712F60603F.jpeg

2) I asked my local jeweler to add a white gold panel behind the stone because I could not live with the windowing (once I learned what it was haha :razz:)

Original ring vs revised ring for comparison:

Moral of the story: research before you buy! I understand that compromises will be made based on personal preference/budget, but first you have to know what “ideal” is and work back from that. Also- if you end up with a less-than-ideal stone/setting, all is not lost! I love my ring now and look forward to the “hunt” for my HG emerald ;-)

Atwater

Brilliant_Rock
Beautiful ring and a wonderful birthday present! It is indeed even better after the redo. Congratulations and enjoy it in good health.

Eli22

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Beautiful ring and a wonderful birthday present! It is indeed even better after the redo. Congratulations and enjoy it in good health.

Thank you so much, Atwater!! I am so happy I was able to get a better outcome for my rushed emerald purchase! I LOVE your ring, BTW. I’ve saved a photo of your ring in my inspo folder for my next emerald!!

gregchang35

Ideal_Rock
congrats!!!! nice re-make! love the cleaner lines!!!

Eli22

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results