shape
carat
color
clarity

Birthday gift ideas for myself

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I turn 30 in a week, on the 15th. I want to buy myself something a bit special. I'm going through a bit of a rough patch right now and am looking for something special to hold on to.

A bit about me. I live in London. I work for a homelessness charity. I have about £300 ($500) to spend. I own diamond earring and wear jeans to work. My only real jewellery aspiration right now is a vintage diamond and gold or platinum watch from the 1920s-1940s but that's out of my price range.

Ideas?

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
tyty - I love that idea! The import fees would kill me though at 20% for the VAT, plus a handling fee from Royal Mail. It's so expensive over here, but by the time I add import fees, it's expensive to shop there as well!

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
Addy, look in consignment shops or jewelers that carry estate pieces. Lord, they're all over London. (Skip Burlington Arcade & tourist-priced areas like that, haha!) I'd bet you'll find something great within your budget. I find super bargains -- including an 18K Omega watch from the 1950s with a beautiful braided gold band for around $350. They're a ball to roam & look through anyway. Take your time & something will jump into your arms!

Happy Birthday!

--- Laurie

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Laurie, Any ideas on where to try? What area? I live in SE London but will travel!

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock
I like this place
THE TRUMPET ANTIQUES SHOP MINCHINHAMPTON GL6 9JA

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
i like kenny's suggestions!

and if you're not wanting to pay the additional fees, i like JewelFreak's idea.

i'm sorry you're going through a bit of a rough time. "hunting" for the special gift will hopefully help to take your mind off things......

and i commend you for recognizing and celebrating your 30th in a special way for yourself! :appl: so many times people look to those around them to make them feel special.....

an early happy birthday to you!

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Love the idea of finding an antique piece...the hunt could be really fun!

Wish I had thought about buying myself something for my big birthdays. Thats a great idea!

Mrsacornblue

Shiny_Rock
I got a rolling or trinity ring for my 30th - 3 rings each in a different color gold. I bought it from Rollingring.com and it was $300. I am sure you could find something similar at a local jeweler and maybe even have a small diamond set into it as well, if that is something you are interested in.

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I found it!

I had saved in my ebay watch list a few 1920s and 1930s watches. They were mostly reasonably priced, but still too high for me, especially with the 20% VAT. I watched most of them sell and felt somewhat ugh that they weren't mine. My mother reminded me how much I loved a mostly engraved - not tons of diamonds - ring that I have so I started looking for a watch similar to my favorite ring. Not many stones but fantastic engraving and a few single cut diamonds and french cut sapphires (or blue glass as was common during that time).

I put in an offer on this watch, he counter offered, and so did I and he accepted!! It's not near as fancy as the one at New York Estate Jewellery I've been drooling over for years, but gosh, it's lovely! I hope to treasure it for years to come.

That you all for inspiring me. I think I was feeling a bit down and overwhelmed and thanks to all the fab ideas I got off my butt and found the wonderful piece I wanted!

sapphire watch.jpg

sapphire watch 2.jpg

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
well done! any chance of a wrist photo?

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
How Cool!!!!
I love that era, and especially the blue accents the used. :love:

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
Ooooh, it's stunning! I love the shape, the blue accents (especially the blue cabochon on the winder), the engraving, everything! What a great birthday gift for yourself! Happy birthday!

I turn the big 3-0 in August myself...I think I'll definitely need to distract myself with a bling project! :cheeky:

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
MZ - I only bought it last night (off ebay - eek!!) and it's in the US so no wrist shots yet! There's no way I'll have it in time for my actual b-day, but it feels good to have made a decision and purchased something for myself.

Kenny - thanks! I realised that I really do love blue, always have. Diamond encrusted is wonderful, but probably just not me, whereas this just looks right.

Thing - I love the shape too!

I'm off today to pick up the last of my stuff from my DH's (soon to be ex probably) house and move it into my shared house (can't afford to live on my own). I'm a bit of a wreck and not looking forward to it. Maybe I should've waited until tonight to buy the watch - sure I could use some cheering up tonight - but I bought it sooner so it gets here sooner!!

rosetta

Ideal_Rock
Your watch is gorgeous!!

So sorry to hear of your marriage breakdown though :(sad

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results