Birkins anyone?

Polabowla

Brilliant_Rock
Donald Duck and his nephews! I can hear him spluttering lol
Enjoy your bag- it's super fun!

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Without meaning to sound preachy, and accepting that everyone's ethics are their own business - things like this get to a stage where it just feels like thumbing your nose at people who can't afford to eat. Or have anywhere to live. Or get clean water. Or immunization. I mean - how many wells could I dig with the money it takes to buy a birkin? A LOT.

Obviously that's just one example, and my experience is that PSers are a generous bunch and, I'm sure, are highly charitable in their giving. And I understand that jewelry is a big ticket, luxury item that really has no earthly justification.

But...one handbag? 20k?? Yeah - um - no.

winnietucker

Ideal_Rock
Without meaning to sound preachy, and accepting that everyone's ethics are their own business - things like this get to a stage where it just feels like thumbing your nose at people who can't afford to eat. Or have anywhere to live. Or get clean water. Or immunization. I mean - how many wells could I dig with the money it takes to buy a birkin? A LOT.

Obviously that's just one example, and my experience is that PSers are a generous bunch and, I'm sure, are highly charitable in their giving. And I understand that jewelry is a big ticket, luxury item that really has no earthly justification.

TBF that’s a lot of what’s on PS. We regularly see and admire jewelry collections worth enough money to change someone’s life. I definitely think this forum is geared toward people who are more financially comfortable. It’s not a bad thing to like expensive things. Just pointing out that this logic could be applied to most of this forum.

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
TBF that’s a lot of what’s on PS. We regularly see and admire jewelry collections worth enough money to change someone’s life. I definitely think this forum is geared toward people who are more financially comfortable. It’s not a bad thing to like expensive things. Just pointing out that this logic could be applied to most of this forum.

Yes, I agree - and said as much above. But for me, 20k for a bag is past my limit. Well past. I'm all for indulgences. But they need to make sense - not only within my own budget, but also within the world picture at large, y'know? There's limits - even for indulgences.

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have 6 pairs of BIRKENstocks. Does that count?

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I get what you're saying @mrs-b . However, I can't be one to cast stones. And realistically, some people who have bought birkins could argue that they are an investment item, as opposed to jewelry, which we could hardly, at a $20K price point, expect to resell for a profit, while certain birkins bought at a $20K price point or less can be sold for a profit. So who is the idiot there? I will be the first to throw myself into the group, as having bought a good that labs now make and sell for a much lower price. (I don't mean to get into a discussion about that can of worms.) Just sayin.

CircularBrilliant

Shiny_Rock
It's been a hard year, even for those who are relatively blessed in life. I hope everyone can show some kindness to others and to themselves. Be thankful for your blessings, take joy where you can, and don't let negativity from others (or yourself!) bring you down.

Last edited:

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sorry to thread jack again, but I wore my sleepbuds for the first time last night— best sleep ever! They are very comfortable and I should have bought them long ago. Best $250 spent ever.

@MMtwo

Fabulous50

Brilliant_Rock
Many thanks, everyone! Here are a few more:
IMG_0702.JPG IMG_0353.JPG IMG_0592.JPG IMG_0639.JPG IMG_0658.JPG IMG_0580.JPG

I am an Hermes collector as well, I admit I love my kellys almost as much as my bling! I have no birkins, though - 2 kellys and an assortment of other styles. Loving handbags that cost so much money is very hard to explain, I admit, but if you do love them, Hermes is like ideal cut diamonds, the best of the best.

Fabulous50

Brilliant_Rock
Very very nice @Fabulous50 ! The Rolls Royce of bags probably.

Thank you @Polabowla! I am a little shy about it ha ha! Because I do get that its a little nuts to love them so much! My family definitely teases me a bit about my Hermes bag obsession. :oops2:

Polabowla

Brilliant_Rock
Nah nothing wrong w loving them! I don't have hermes/chanel/ etc but i love the designer bags i have .
(My kids love them too; dh doesn't get it & no one else knows )

JPie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@mrs-b Birkin pricing depends on size and leather. The basic models are around $10K, and $20K+ is getting in the neighborhood of exotic skins like alligator.

I’m not thumbing my nose at people who can’t afford to eat with my Birkin, and it’s a hurtful thing for you to say regardless of whatever caveats you attach to the statement.

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@mrs-b Birkin pricing depends on size and leather. The basic models are around $10K, and $20K+ is getting in the neighborhood of exotic skins like alligator.

I’m not thumbing my nose at people who can’t afford to eat with my Birkin, and it’s a hurtful thing for you to say regardless of whatever caveats you attach to the statement.

I'm sorry you feel that way, @JPie . My caveats were sincere, whether you took them to be, or no.

As I said, my feelings on this are my own. Period. I don't expect anyone to agree with me on any given topic and, in my experience, they don't. The reverse is also true. It's not hurtful for me to have different ethics to others. Or for them to have different ethics to me. We all have to stand behind what we believe.

Having a Birkin does not make you unethical, or selfish, or uncaring of your fellow man. I said that, and I meant it. But can I come at it for myself? No. I believe I have that right.

Last edited:

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Having a Birkin does not make you unethical, or selfish, or uncaring of your fellow man. I said that, and I meant it. But can I come at it for myself? No. I believe I have that right.

:clap:

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I get what you're saying @mrs-b . However, I can't be one to cast stones. And realistically, some people who have bought birkins could argue that they are an investment item, as opposed to jewelry, which we could hardly, at a $20K price point, expect to resell for a profit, while certain birkins bought at a $20K price point or less can be sold for a profit. So who is the idiot there? I will be the first to throw myself into the group, as having bought a good that labs now make and sell for a much lower price. (I don't mean to get into a discussion about that can of worms.) Just sayin.

Just saw this comment, @LLJsmom.

I'm not the type to take a position then switch it out when the tide turns against me, so I'm gonna be out and proud on this one. No stone casting intended or implied. You'll just have to take my word on that one.

I'm sure there are things you don't buy because you think they're a waste of money, and things you don't do because you don't think they're ethical. And I'd bet a kidney there are certain things you don't do because you don't think they're ethical, that I DO do. This thread was asking what our position on Birkins was and - if we don't have one - why not?

My position is an ethical/financial one. I'm sure a lot of people feel that way about all sorts of things. I feel that way about Birkins. So there y'go. I'm 60 years old and have thought through my position thoroughly over the years. It's not going to change at this point, tho I'm unlikely to argue with anyone whose position is different to mine.

Something like - how we spend our money on one specific item - is one part of a much larger picture of how we execute our financial responsibilities and what our world-view ethics are. One part doesn't tell the whole story. You might own 500 Birkins, but have massive charitable commitments I know nothing about. On the other hand, I might eschew Birkins, but own 15 houses for no justifiable reason. I don't believe this thread is for that level of detail. It asked about Birkins. So - at the risk of being repetitive, I'll say it again.

For me to spend that amount of money on a Birkin would be irresponsible and uncaring. It's not a 'caveat' or a side step. I know what my financial landscape looks like and nobody else here does. I can justify jewelry. I can't justify expensive handbags. And yes, what is expensive for one is cheap for another - and round and round and round. We make these decisions for ourselves, not for each other.

But the question was - do I, the responder, have a Birkin and, if not, why not.

No. I don't. And that's why.

I say this with all due respect for the wonderful, generous people here. I also say it without apology and with no intention of moderating my position or ever changing it.

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just saw this comment, @LLJsmom.

I'm not the type to take a position then switch it out when the tide turns against me, so I'm gonna be out and proud on this one. No stone casting intended or implied. You'll just have to take my word on that one.

I'm sure there are things you don't buy because you think they're a waste of money, and things you don't do because you don't think they're ethical. And I'd bet a kidney there are certain things you don't do because you don't think they're ethical, that I DO do. This thread was asking what our position on Birkins was and - if we don't have one - why not?

My position is an ethical/financial one. I'm sure a lot of people feel that way about all sorts of things. I feel that way about Birkins. So there y'go. I'm 60 years old and have thought through my position thoroughly over the years. It's not going to change at this point, tho I'm unlikely to argue with anyone whose position is different to mine.

Something like - how we spend our money on one specific item - is one part of a much larger picture of how we execute our financial responsibilities and what our world-view ethics are. One part doesn't tell the whole story. You might own 500 Birkins, but have massive charitable commitments I know nothing about. On the other hand, I might eschew Birkins, but own 15 houses for no justifiable reason. I don't believe this thread is for that level of detail. It asked about Birkins. So - at the risk of being repetitive, I'll say it again.

For me to spend that amount of money on a Birkin would be irresponsible and uncaring. It's not a 'caveat' or a side step. I know what my financial landscape looks like and nobody else here does. I can justify jewelry. I can't justify expensive handbags. And yes, what is expensive for one is cheap for another - and round and round and round. We make these decisions for ourselves, not for each other.

But the question was - do I, the responder, have a Birkin and, if not, why not.

No. I don't. And that's why.

I say this with all due respect for the wonderful, generous people here. I also say it without apology and with no intention of moderating my position or ever changing it.

It's all good @mrs-b . I don't like to argue with people either. We believe what we believe, and people don't always have to agree. That's what makes life interesting. :wavey:

Polabowla

Brilliant_Rock
It's interesting though, @LLJsmom you have such beautiful & glamorous jewelry that i feel like i could picture you with a designer purse.
I consider myself the least fancy/glamorous person, but yet i have a few fancy purses.
Anyway, im enjoying the purse pictures here - birkin or no

aac2013

Shiny_Rock
I think Birkin and Kelly bags are beautiful. Some of the colors are just fabulous and I love the ever classic designs. Yet I just can’t get past the price. I have two designer purses (a Cartier and a LV) which while a fraction of the price of Hermès were already well over what I ever thought I would spend on a purse. Thus I will continue to drool from a distance.

Plus, I also have to admit that I probably would spill something on the purse or scratch it the first time I used it. My number one reason for not buying rings with soft stones.

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's interesting though, @LLJsmom you have such beautiful & glamorous jewelry that i feel like i could picture you with a designer purse.
I consider myself the least fancy/glamorous person, but yet i have a few fancy purses.
Anyway, im enjoying the purse pictures here - birkin or no

Very flattering that my jewelry seems glamorous. :). Actually I think if my pieces as quite basic compared to some but so kind of you all the same. I do love beautiful bags. LVs are my first love and I have collected them for years. When I started collecting jewelry I slowed down the LV collecting. Birkins are a whole other level of bag. They are beautiful but I don’t understand the obsession. It’s ok cause I don’t need to. :). Plenty of people don’t understand why I have used up almost my iCloud storage with pics and videos of a tiny rock. LOL!!

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

I don't have a bag, but have a new Kelly Classic wallet. I plan on using it LOL. How do you keep it looking good? Obviously I am not going to shrink wrap it in my purse, but there has to be a few tips to keep it "protected". Thanks

cheers--Sharon

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results