shape
carat
color
clarity

Bikes for a 4 year old

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
what size did you start out with? 12" or 16" for your kiddos? this will be a birthday present for my DD, she is rather on the petite side, but we don''t want to go "bike" shopping because then she''ll talk non stop about one and go nuts over it. Also where did you buy from? any recommendations? I found a huffy and a kids R Us brand. Rayleye (something not sure if I spelled that right)

NYCsparkle

Brilliant_Rock
my son just turned 3 and he is tall for his ge. we bought him a 16'''' huffy from toys r us. its still a bit big for him, but the 12'''' would have been too small for him. he loves it and its something he''ll have for at least the next 2-3 years.

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 8/15/2009 2:25:09 PM
Author: NYCsparkle
my son just turned 3 and he is tall for his ge. we bought him a 16'' huffy from toys r us. its still a bit big for him, but the 12'' would have been too small for him. he loves it and its something he''ll have for at least the next 2-3 years.
thanks for your thought, I do want it to last for a few years too. I also have another DD and thought maybe I should get the 12" instead because then she could start riding them as well... then DH said to me "sometimes we have to buy her (2nd DD) her own stuff instead of handmedowns
3.gif
" so part of me is thinking about a 2 for 1 deal so it could be passed down to my 2nd DD which means the 12" but the other part of me, just says, get the 16" (might be a tad big but this will last for years) and we can buy 2nd DD her own later

akmiss

Brilliant_Rock
My son is three and a half and we bought him a 16" trek Jet. It is a little big but the training wheels keep him balanced plus he can ride it next summer ;-)

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks Akmiss- I think I will opt for a 16" as well - thanks for all of your experience, as I am buying online, I don''t want the hassle to ship back or anything

House Cat

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would actually go and view the bike. You want the bike to be light. You would be surprised at how heavy those little bikes can be and it makes for difficult riding. As far as size goes, we were told the bike fits when the child''s foot is on the pedal, the pedal is as far down as it can be, and the child''s leg is straight. I''m not sure if I''m explaining this well.

This is a good guide:
http://www.ibike.org/education/buying.htm

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 8/16/2009 12:15:55 PM
Author: House Cat
I would actually go and view the bike. You want the bike to be light. You would be surprised at how heavy those little bikes can be and it makes for difficult riding. As far as size goes, we were told the bike fits when the child''s foot is on the pedal, the pedal is as far down as it can be, and the child''s leg is straight. I''m not sure if I''m explaining this well.

This is a good guide:
http://www.ibike.org/education/buying.htm
Thank you HC for the article, very informative.

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
London has a 16" Trek Mystic. It''s sparkly lavender w/purple flowers on it and she loves it. She''s had it since she was 4, I think, and she''ll be 6 in November. She''s tall, so I don''t think it will last much longer. Hers is from Radio Shack. It was kinda spendy (we didn''t buy it, my parents did..I thought mom said it was about $80??) but they''ll look it over and store it for the winter (which we always forget to do) and I think they have a trade in policy for a bigger one. I think. Don''t quote me, I may have dreamt that.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Both my kids'' bikes were about $80. I''m pretty sure we started with the 16" size. . .I only am sure because I can sort of ride my younger son''s bike (I''m 5'' 4" and my knees barely makes it around w/out bumping into the handle bars!) and I doubt I''d get away with that on a 12". We did have the boys go in and test them out to be sure. We ended up getting one at TRU and the other at Target.

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 8/16/2009 7:34:55 PM
Author: packrat
London has a 16'' Trek Mystic. It''s sparkly lavender w/purple flowers on it and she loves it. She''s had it since she was 4, I think, and she''ll be 6 in November. She''s tall, so I don''t think it will last much longer. Hers is from Radio Shack. It was kinda spendy (we didn''t buy it, my parents did..I thought mom said it was about $80??) but they''ll look it over and store it for the winter (which we always forget to do) and I think they have a trade in policy for a bigger one. I think. Don''t quote me, I may have dreamt that.
that would be very nice
3.gif

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 8/16/2009 7:56:42 PM
Author: MC
Both my kids'' bikes were about $80. I''m pretty sure we started with the 16'' size. . .I only am sure because I can sort of ride my younger son''s bike (I''m 5'' 4'' and my knees barely makes it around w/out bumping into the handle bars!) and I doubt I''d get away with that on a 12''. We did have the boys go in and test them out to be sure. We ended up getting one at TRU and the other at Target.
Thanks MC- I don''t think I want to spend more than $80 as well, I''ll check them out at the store without the kiddos and just wing it from there
1.gif

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/16/2009 8:29:09 PM
Author: D&T

Date: 8/16/2009 7:56:42 PM
Author: MC
Both my kids'' bikes were about $80. I''m pretty sure we started with the 16'' size. . .I only am sure because I can sort of ride my younger son''s bike (I''m 5'' 4'' and my knees barely makes it around w/out bumping into the handle bars!) and I doubt I''d get away with that on a 12''. We did have the boys go in and test them out to be sure. We ended up getting one at TRU and the other at Target.
Thanks MC- I don''t think I want to spend more than $80 as well, I''ll check them out at the store without the kiddos and just wing it from there
1.gif
oops, all those were suppose to be ", not ''. lol

Best of luck! If you have to exchange, it''s no big deal. Just be sure the store has the same style/color in the other size!

steph72276

Ideal_Rock
I would also go with the 16" if you want it to last a few years. We got our son who is 4 a 12" last Christmas and he has already pretty much outgrown it. We will get him a 16" this year.

steph72276

Ideal_Rock
I just went to the Toys R Us website and looked at bikes and they do have a few 14" bikes, so that might be a good one to start with if she is on the petite side.

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 8/17/2009 8:15:52 AM
Author: steph72276
I just went to the Toys R Us website and looked at bikes and they do have a few 14'' bikes, so that might be a good one to start with if she is on the petite side.
oooh, that sounds like a plan for she is probably in between.. off to check ToysRus... thanks Steph!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results