shape
carat
color
clarity

Biggest Loser type Competition at Work?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

MsP

Brilliant_Rock
My department is hosting a Biggest Loser type competition. Each person interested puts in a certain amount of money and then the winner(ie person who loses the highest percentage of weight after like 4 months) gets the pot of money.

This started a couple weeks ago. I bought in. I''ve lost a chunck of weight(~80lbs) before and kept it off... but I still have ~40lbs to lose. So I do not participate in the little lunch group gym gatherings or discuss what I''m doing differently or anything really. I do overhear alot of chatter, though.

I hear quite a few conversations about how much people have lost. "I''ve been working out a ton and I haven''t lost a thing!".... "Oooh, I''ve lost like 3lbs already."... "Ugh, I don''t understand why it''s so hard for me."...

The most I''ve heard is like 5lbs.

I''ve lost like 11lb and I feel like I''m trying to hide it because I feel guilty. When this things started some of the ladies joked that it was unfair that I was in the competition because I "know how to lose weight already". I protested but that doesn''t really do much good. I almost want to drop out of the competition but I put my money in--and let''s be honest--I''m in it to win it!! Why else would I have put money in?!?

Anyone have these types of competitions at work and had to deal with interoffice stuff like this? While I appreciate the merits of encouraging healthy living at work, I almost feel like personal things should stay in personal life, health should stay in personal life, and work is what goes on at work.

Anyone?

Anyone win their competition??

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/9/2009 11:13:41 AM
Author:MissPrudential
My department is hosting a Biggest Loser type competition. Each person interested puts in a certain amount of money and then the winner(ie person who loses the highest percentage of weight after like 4 months) gets the pot of money.

This started a couple weeks ago. I bought in. I''ve lost a chunck of weight(~80lbs) before and kept it off... but I still have ~40lbs to lose. So I do not participate in the little lunch group gym gatherings or discuss what I''m doing differently or anything really. I do overhear alot of chatter, though.

I hear quite a few conversations about how much people have lost. ''I''ve been working out a ton and I haven''t lost a thing!''.... ''Oooh, I''ve lost like 3lbs already.''... ''Ugh, I don''t understand why it''s so hard for me.''...

The most I''ve heard is like 5lbs.

I''ve lost like 11lb and I feel like I''m trying to hide it because I feel guilty. When this things started some of the ladies joked that it was unfair that I was in the competition because I ''know how to lose weight already''. I protested but that doesn''t really do much good. I almost want to drop out of the competition but I put my money in--and let''s be honest--I''m in it to win it!! Why else would I have put money in?!?

Anyone have these types of competitions at work and had to deal with interoffice stuff like this? While I appreciate the merits of encouraging healthy living at work, I almost feel like personal things should stay in personal life, health should stay in personal life, and work is what goes on at work.

Anyone?

Anyone win their competition??
First, congrats on your weight loss.

Second, I agree with you that health should stay in personal life, and work is what goes on at work, so I''ve never participated when colleagues of mine have run these kinds of competitions. May I ask why you joined if you feel this way?

If you really want out, then why not just ask for your money back and bow out?

As for people losing only a bit of weight at first, that is completely normal. I''ve been on a strict workout and eating plan for nine weeks and I didn''t start losing weight until seven weeks in, and then it started to come off pretty quickly. I think those who have less to lose will see slower results at first. You shouldn''t feel guilty about that, it''s normal.

princesss

Ideal_Rock
We''ve got a "fluffy fat" competition going on at work, which is just what you''re describing. We have a trainer at the office, so she''s weighing us in and calculating the percentages, so they''ll at least be kept confidential and nobody will know anything but the winner and the percentage of weight they lost. I''m all for people doing whatever works to get healthy, but it''s not for me. Besides, I just dropped a bunch of money on Weight Watchers, so I''m just going to focus on that.

MsP

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 10/9/2009 2:25:24 PM
Author: Haven

Second, I agree with you that health should stay in personal life, and work is what goes on at work, so I''ve never participated when colleagues of mine have run these kinds of competitions. May I ask why you joined if you feel this way?

If you really want out, then why not just ask for your money back and bow out?

As for people losing only a bit of weight at first, that is completely normal. I''ve been on a strict workout and eating plan for nine weeks and I didn''t start losing weight until seven weeks in, and then it started to come off pretty quickly. I think those who have less to lose will see slower results at first. You shouldn''t feel guilty about that, it''s normal.
You know... I never really felt this way or felt it was an issue at all before this event. I also feel like it''s silly for me to back out and I''m not bothered *enough* to do so. Why did I do it? I''m always needing a bit of motivation... and this seemed like a good source. And to be honest it has been a good source. It''s just awkward at times.

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
That makes sense, MissP.

I say if you''re going to stick with it, KILL IT! Win that money for yourself! You shouldn''t feel guilty for doing well, especially when it comes to being healthy.

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Congratulations on your weight loss and I think you should stay in the race and WIN!!! Good luck.
35.gif

cindygenit

Brilliant_Rock
Don''t feel guilty!!!! You are doing SO WELL!! Keep it up and win all that money girl!

swingirl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/9/2009 11:13:41 AM
Author:MissPrudential
I've lost like 11lb and I feel like I'm trying to hide it because I feel guilty. When this things started some of the ladies joked that it was unfair that I was in the competition because I 'know how to lose weight already'. I protested but that doesn't really do much good. I almost want to drop out of the competition but I put my money in--and let's be honest--I'm in it to win it!! Why else would I have put money in?!?
Don't feel guilty. Everyone knows how to do lose weight. You take in less calories than your body uses. But the challenge is to actually DO it. Just because you've lost weight before doesn't put you at an advantage. And I can't believe this is the first time any of those people have gone on a diet. They had the same choice NOT to join as you have to join.

So go for it and win that money. That could a little something put towards new bling!!!

Congrats on the weight you've lost so far!

zipzapgirl

Shiny_Rock
Maybe they would feel better if you used some of the winnings to treat the group to something fun! Generally I''d say bring in a breakfast spread, or any kind of food, but since that doesn''t seem to be the spirit of the contest
23.gif
, maybe an outing where you pay for the bowling lanes or attending a sporting event or planning a volleyball/cookout outing. Just putting a bit of the cash towards the group will relieve some of the hard feeling I think and dull the edge of competition.

Also, maybe share your strategies with the group a bit? If the goal is for everyone to get healthier and lose a little weight with some friendly competition, and you are clearly ahead, I don''t see the harm in helping others out, you know?

tlh

Ideal_Rock
CONGRATS ON YOUR WEIGHT LOST SO FAR!

I would stay in it... and lose what you can. If they were interested, they''d ask what you do, and if that works for you. Most people honestly want the easy way out... why do you think diet pills and fad diets get so much $$$. I think they are just jealous. Most people want to believe once you are in on the "secret" it is so EASY... because that involves a wishful thinking that it is easy.

It is not easy. Healthy living has simple principles sure. But it is hard. Choosing lean meats, always cooking w/o butter, forever making substititions. Every order being special... hold this, no this, light this.... avoiding foods, or TRYING to stop with a bite or a sliver when you honestly want the whole pie.

Yeah it is hard, and YOUR HARD WORK IS WORTH IT. I hope you win it - FOR YOU. TO REWARD YOUR HARD WORK. To have that motivator to keep you focused through this very high calorie holiday season.

MUCH SUCCESS TO YOU!

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think you should definitely stay in the contest! The reasoning of you having some kind of advantage over everyone else because you have had success in losing weight is ridiculous, I hope none of your co-workers would seriously feel that way! Everyone knows what they have to do to lose weight, you are winning because you are trying harder than they are, end of story! You have just as much right as anyone else to be in the contest. Congrats on your weight loss, I think that''s wonderful! Hang in there and be proud of your accomplishment!

Amanda.Rx

Brilliant_Rock
Congrats on your weight loss! I think you should stay in, unless you feel it will damage your relationship with your co-workers. While I feel that some aspects of your personal life should be kept separate from work, I think that it can be a very good thing to have a support group at work for something as difficult as weight loss. These are the people that you eat lunch with and can hold you accountable when snack-time rolls around and may even go for walks, etc. with you during breaks.

I think it can get ugly, though, when competition is involved. The "spirit of competition" doesn''t foster support, but desire to win. If you compete with someone, you certainly don''t WANT to help them win, but in this situation, it''s good to be humble. You said that you feel guilty for losing weight while others are falling short. Maybe you could ease some of that guilt by offering your support and advice to your coworkers. That way, if you do win, maybe they won''t pull that "it''s not fair card."

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results