shape
carat
color
clarity

Bigger Ring or Bigger Wedding?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

KristenK98

Rough_Rock

Hi Everyone!

I''m currently in the pre-planning phase of this thing while my bf gets his ducks in a row and gets me a ring, but I need some feedback from ya''ll...

I have my heart set on a Tiffany Legacy with the graduated side stones. He wants a medium to big wedding on the coast. We can afford one, not the other since we''re paying for everything. Either I get the ring and a small (75-150 person wedding - my plan is an all inclusive in Puerto Vallarta) or I get a lesser priced ring and have EVERYONE there (anywhere from 350-500 people) and have a major blowout wedding.

I''ve weighed this over and over in my mind and don''t know which to choose. I''ll be happy with a lesser priced ring(I''ll be happy with anything, just as long as I''m marrying him), but have always had my dream proposal of that little blue box and just adore the Legacy.

Which would you do and why?

shinythings

Shiny_Rock
Obviously you have to ask yourself and your boyfriend which is more important to you, but I would never want a wedding with 300 people! For me it would be important for it to feel intimate and that I get to talk to everyone, and I''d have the legacy ring forever.

partyjewels

Shiny_Rock
I agree, it's really up to you and your guy, and I too would personally want a smaller wedding in any case. I wouldn't want the 'extra' money to spend on the ring though, I'd rather spend it on an addition to our tiny house! (It's great and I love it, easy to keep clean, but we do intend to have kids after we're married, and the size of our house now just isn't practical!) :) Maybe you could do a wedding somewhere in between and a ring somewhere in between as well? It's all easier said than done isn't it?

A wedding is just one day... a magnificant day oh yes, but just one day. That ring will be on your finger for the rest of your life (if you don't upgrade anyway ;)), but it's just a ring (don't hurt me ladies!!).... The marriage is what matters over everything right? Right.

So...speaking of upgrades, perhaps you could go that route? Not sure how you feel about that or not, some people are very sentimental and wouldn't want to, but if you and yours are comfortable with it, could you maybe get a less expensive still beautiful ring that you love NOW with the option to upgrade in how ever many years, and have a big blowout wedding with EVERYONE? That way you get both!

Just a thought, good luck with your decisions!!!

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
Okay - I have the perfect solution.

Get the e-ring of your dreams through WF or GOG or similar.

Buy an empty tiffany ring box.

Use money saved for mega-wedding.

Result: Amazing e-ring in little blue box and 500 friends and family to celebrate your big day.
36.gif

E B

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/13/2007 7:41:38 PM
Author: Pandora II

Result: Amazing e-ring in little blue box and 500 friends and family to celebrate your big day.
36.gif

I absolutely agree! Win-win.

shawee

Rough_Rock
Bigger ring... I am not into feeding people I am not close with, IMHO.

Fancy605

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/13/2007 8:03:32 PM
Author: EBree

36.gif

I absolutely agree! Win-win.

Me too, that is a FAB idea.

WTNLVR

Brilliant_Rock
Ring, Ring, Ring. 18 yrs later and I hardly remember the details of my wedding and I didn''t know most of the guests. 500 people is way too many in my opinion. 150 is a nice manageable number and nothing to sneeze at. We also paid for our wedding. Get the ring of your dreams -you''ll treasure it for a lifetime- and it will be a family heirloom.

InLuvWithMrH

Shiny_Rock

36.gif
That was exactly what I was going to write! Wf did a beautiful job on my ring. (and at a fraction of the Legacy cost.)

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
It was never an option for me, my mom paid for my wedding and my fiance just picked the ring...BUT, I had nearly 200 people, while my cousin had around 450 and all I can say is her''s was not in any way memorable or intimate to me. She did not see most of her guests at all, and it was like being at some big charity event. There are two schools of thought. Clearly, the wedding is the beginning of your lives together, the marriage is what matters most. to me, a gigantic wedding is stressful and if I cannot mingle with my guests it might bother me. The wedding is one day, and the ring is more permanent. Of course with up grades it does not have to be forever...I am on my third ring in 15 years...but for all intents and purposes it is more permanent than the wedding. I would take A: nicer ring B: smaller but still nice sized wedding C: more nice touches in the wedding since it is smaller...but that is my humble view...

poptart

Brilliant_Rock
I agree you definitely need to talk it over with the BF, but when I saw the title my immediate reaction was: Bigger ring. No questions asked. If you have 350-500 people at the wedding you aren''t going to remember half of them, and another third you probably won''t even know. So I vote... RING!! After all, that''ll be on your finger FOREVER, it won''t just be one day!

*M*

Larissa

Shiny_Rock
Personally I'd chose the nicer ring. He didn't see the point and wanted a wedding. To me, the ring was something I was supposed to have forever so I wanted to love it and treasure it. To him, quality time spent with friends and family should be more important than an object.

However, we were never into the idea of a 300 person wedding!! So I really can't even begin to think what his reasons are for wanting a wedding over the ring.

As it currently stands, I don't like the ring...but he loved the wedding (I'm hoping for a vow renewal at some point since I didn't like the wedding either).

Why does he want the larger wedding? Is there a way to compromise and get nicer ring and bigger wedding? Such as, having the Tiffany copied rather than buying the name?

ladykemma

Ideal_Rock
my hubby also wanted the bigger wedding.

I would choose a better ring. the wedding was one day, but i stared deeply into my little quarter carat engagement ring about 20 times yesterday.

bee*

Super_Ideal_Rock
Definitely the ring!

grapegravity

Shiny_Rock
I would choose the ring.. because I believe that the bigger the wedding is, the less intimate and emotional it will be... Small wedding are more fun and it''s more memorable and less tiring....

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock

Yes, THIS!

I'm with the majority of the other posters--I wouldn't want a big wedding, anyway. But big by my standards=200 people... I can't even imagine what a 500-person wedding would be like!!!
23.gif

ETA: However, keep in mind you are asking the opinion of members of a diamond consumer education website--you're unlikely to find many people on here who'd rather have a smaller ring in any situation!!
25.gif

firebirdgold

Ideal_Rock
9.gif
9.gif
9.gif

HA HAHAHA And who would be doing the planning and work for the 500 ppl wedding?? Sounds like a man who has no idea what''s involved!!

No matter what you guys decide on the ring, I say go for the all inclusive smaller wedding. I''m lucky. My fi''s sister spent a whole year planning her wedding and it traumatized my fi so much that we''re having an itty wedding at an all inclusive in Hawaii.
9.gif

I say go for the ring of your dreams. I look at my ring many many times a day every day.

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
How about compromising with your hubby and explaining that the ring is important to you and that you understand that a large wedding is important to him...and then have a wedding around 250 people??

I like the suggestions from above about getting a similar design through GOG, or how about leon??!! A design from him to me is even more special than the blue box and it should be more reasonably priced.

I''m in a similar situation with you in that I didn''t really want a big wedding, but fi does. In fact, I really wanted to elope and save the money. However, it is extremely important to fi, so we are having the wedding...and fi understands that the ring will be upgraded a year or so after the wedding
27.gif
. That is the compromise we decided to make.

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
I honestly thing a destination wedding with nearly 100 people and a great ring would be amazing. 350-500 people are so many that you will not likely enjoy or get quality time with your guests...it will be mayhem and you will not end up feeling that you got the satisfaction out of having everyone there...so to me, it is a win win...

KristenK98

Rough_Rock
I don''t even want to plan a wedding that big. I want everything small, intimate and a great heirloom ring for future generations.

Thanks for the vindication everyone! :)

NYCsparkle

Brilliant_Rock
Go for the BLING!!!!! the wedding willl be beautiful and special if its 500 people or just the 2 of you. The day is about you and your husband---most people forget large weddings if it wasn''t theirs or a very close relative anyways after a few years.
21.gif
you will wear the symbol of your love forever

anchor31

Ideal_Rock
We discussed this also - I wanted the bling and he wanted the wedding. After much deliberation, we chose the bling. After all, the wedding is one day and the rings are forever!

I have to say that my informal 50 guests wedding has swollen to a formal 81 guests one with a 140 people party after dinner...
6.gif
So remember that things do get out of hands sometimes.

KimberlyH

Ideal_Rock
If those are your only two options I say get the big ring. Smaller weddings means more time with guests and you don''t have to worry about not knowing all of their names!

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Ring, Ring, ring. Wait a second; this forum is biased. hee hee.

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/19/2007 9:29:44 PM
Author: Skippy123
Ring, Ring, ring. Wait a second; this forum is biased. hee hee.

Well, if it were called Weddingscope she MIGHT have gotten a different answer, but I doubt it!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results