shape
carat
color
clarity

Big Ticket Buyer's Remorse Stories?

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I knew you were talking about Tesla. My husband was very upset when the prices decreased as they had used the “$7500 rebate” as a tactic for us to buy in Dec. We had out-of-town plans and were so stressed out with all their mistakes as it actually would’ve prevented us from spending the holidays with our family. Broken promises everywhere.

I’m learning to let it go. I can’t change that my car is cheaper now. Just like I can’t change when I buy stock that decreases in value, or any other MSRP item that goes on sale later.

I love my car, and I love how it drives me places like a chauffeur when I’m on the freeways. I look forward to it chauffeuring me around locally, as well.

The new video of the full autonomous driving dropped a few days ago, and I’m excited.

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
However, I am kicking myself in the ass that I didn’t upgrade to full self driving when it was only $2k during the whole snafu about price dropping. I was so angry. I didn’t want to put another dime into Tesla.

Now it’s $5k, and I don’t know if I’m comfortable doing that.

bludiva

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@madelise i think it's the broken promises, bungled deliveries, pressure tactics you mention, lack of transparency etc. that have riled people especially those who waited a loooong time for the 3.

I hear you on embracing the car's benefits and moving on. I hope more companies will adopt EV technology and I applaud Tesla's innovation but I couldn't in good conscience buy from them again after this.

bludiva

Ideal_Rock
Premium
However, I am kicking myself in the ass that I didn’t upgrade to full self driving when it was only $2k during the whole snafu about price dropping. I was so angry. I didn’t want to put another dime into Tesla.

Now it’s $5k, and I don’t know if I’m comfortable doing that.

We didn't receive any communication from the company about any of this....I really think they were stupid not to offer a hefty incentive on the model Y to those who got screwed, good way to increase preorders and kick the can down the road while making early custoners happy.

bludiva

Ideal_Rock
Premium
A friend of mine bought a beautiful Hugo Boss women's shirt. It fitted her *perfectly* and looked wonderful on her. It was the sort of thing she would have worn a lot. She often used to hang a plastic bag on a door knob to put rubbish in when cleaning up her house, and she accidentally put an empty plastic shopping bag carefully into her closet, then tossed bits of paper, rubbish, tissues, etc into the bag with the HB shirt in it. Then threw it out. She realized a couple of days later after the trash had been taken and she found an empty plastic bag in her closet. She's still not over this, and that was 10 years ago.

One of our most annoying experiences of the lost-money variety was when my DH's uncle died. He left us a chunk of money at a time when the AU / US exchange rate was almost 1:1. But the family member who was the executor of the will fiddled around, wasting time and not getting around to it, and we sat by as the AU $ tanked. Roughly 3 months later when he finally received it, DH's inheritance money was roughly half what it had been when his uncle had died. We never even got a 'sorry' for this, despite it costing us solidly into the 5 figures.

Aaaargh! Money evaporating due to exchange rate variations is frustrating....i experienced sonething similar as i was getting ready to do a year of school overseas, the tuition kept climbing. I was only able to go b/c they kicjed in some scholarship $ at the last minute...

Your friend's story made me laugh, I still pine after a couple of practically new things I lost during moves. But for years now I give myself a $500 "stupidity tax" budget every year. So when I get a parking ticket or lose a jacket etc. it just goes in that mental bucket and I can forget it. ;)2

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Aaaargh! Money evaporating due to exchange rate variations is frustrating....i experienced sonething similar as i was getting ready to do a year of school overseas, the tuition kept climbing. I was only able to go b/c they kicjed in some scholarship $ at the last minute...

Your friend's story made me laugh, I still pine after a couple of practically new things I lost during moves. But for years now I give myself a $500 "stupidity tax" budget every year. So when I get a parking ticket or lose a jacket etc. it just goes in that mental bucket and I can forget it. ;)2

Oooohhh - great idea!

cmd2014

Ideal_Rock
Premium
ECF17AC9-D6B0-4173-A7E9-BFE82253AED5.jpeg My first piece of expensive jewelry.
After finishing high school my best friend and I had planned for years to go to Europe for a holiday. I had been saving and working multiple part time jobs for years to save up $4,000. Just before finally buying tickets and booking accommodation my best friend and I had a massive falling out and the trip / adventure cancelled.
I was devastated.
I went into town and saw a beautiful ring in a showcase. I went inside and impulsively bought it.
I took it home and feeling so guilty, shocked and ashamed at my impulsiveness I hid it in my wardrobe for 3 months. When I finally had the nerve to wear it and let my mother see it, my mother went absolute bananas on me! How could I waste so much money on a stupid ring. How could I spend in 5 minutes what had taken more than 5 years of hard work to save! And she actually “smacked” me (I was 18 btw).
40 years later I still have the ring which I have basically never worn and my mother has never seen it again lest it “set her off again”.

Bron, the ring is beautiful...and the fact that you still have it and it is *still* beautiful (and stylish) means that it was a wise purchase, no matter what anyone else might say. I always find it funny when people won`t give anyone a hard time for spending $$$ on things that won`t last, but think nothing of giving you a hard time for spending money on things that might bring you joy for years and years to come. I hope you end up wearing it and enjoying it and forgetting about the guilt that came with buying it.

MonkeysInk

Shiny_Rock
Premium
yep. drives nice but the company treated their early adopters like garbage.

@bludiva - the electric Mercedes has a Tesla engine, but neither Tesla or Mercedes wants to deal with problems. My husband is on his third engine and it is in the shop again....we have a deal in the pipeline to replace it, but we can't until it's repaired. Monday is the last day it's under warranty, so I hope the dealer works fast!

bludiva

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@bludiva - the electric Mercedes has a Tesla engine, but neither Tesla or Mercedes wants to deal with problems. My husband is on his third engine and it is in the shop again....we have a deal in the pipeline to replace it, but we can't until it's repaired. Monday is the last day it's under warranty, so I hope the dealer works fast!

aaaarghhhhhh that is super frustrating. fingers crossed the dealer has your back.

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
We didn't receive any communication from the company about any of this....I really think they were stupid not to offer a hefty incentive on the model Y to those who got screwed, good way to increase preorders and kick the can down the road while making early custoners happy.

ALL communication about anything Tesla is learnt through Elon's twitter page or tech blogs.

The most pressing recent news is:

- They released a video of actual full service driving.
- Full service driving's price will increase over time "significantly" after May 1. The first increase is $1k.
- To thank early adopters, all owners of X and S models get the free ludicrous mode ($20k value) when they buy the new X or S.

BUT YES, I AGREE W/ YOU. LOTS TO BE DISAPPOINTED ABOUT.

FlashyFlamingo

Shiny_Rock
Oh I’ve got a good one! I live in Florida and everyone I know has a boat, therefore my younger, dumber self had to have a boat. This thing has been a total money pit and the bane of my existence. Everything on a boat is crazy expensive! It’s $500 just to fill up the gas tank. It’s like the bad investment that just keeps getting worse.

bludiva

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh I’ve got a good one! I live in Florida and everyone I know has a boat, therefore my younger, dumber self had to have a boat. This thing has been a total money pit and the bane of my existence. Everything on a boat is crazy expensive! It’s $500 just to fill up the gas tank. It’s like the bad investment that just keeps getting worse.

Aaaaargh what's the old joke....the happiest day is buying the boat and the 2nd happiest day is selling it? Something like that.... being on a boat is fun though, i hope you got a lot of good memories out of it at least :mrgreen2:

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm not happy with the car we bought me 9 months ago. I actually love everything about the car, but it would be better for my husband. I wanted something smaller, but everything smaller was gutless, and this one had tons more features and was the better deal. Argh!:eek2: I'm afraid to back it out of the garage. I never drive it. It only has about 500 KM on it. There is no other smaller crossover type car currently available that would suit me. So I guess that makes it better. Maybe I don't even need a car idk.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results