shape
carat
color
clarity

Big stone...large table....

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

roppongi

Shiny_Rock
I have been shown this stone. I have asked for the sarin numbers but my jeweler is unable to get them. Please note that I have complete trust in them as they have been my jeweler for the past 7 years. I just want to know what the concensus is on a larger table stone. How would it impact the brilliance?

Thank you for your help and feedback.

3.01 RBC
9.23 - 9.27 x 5.66
Depth 61.2
Table 62
Girdle Medium to thick, faceted
Culet None
Polish Very Good
Symmetry Very Good
Clarity Grade SI1 (totally eye clean front and back)
Color F
Fluouresence None

eitan

Rough_Rock
big table will make your stone more sparkling
if the table was small you get more fire
its 2 different things sparkling and fire
if you ask what nicer ....
i can tell you that both of them amazing
its depend in your personal taste

eitan
israel-diamonds

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
Roppongi, welcome to the forum
1.gif

However, human perception of brilliance is not the same as the light return which also depends on dynamic contrast of the diamond, which cannot be estimated based only on table and depth numbers.

In the case of this particular diamond, 62% table combined with 61.2% total depth will not give you best combination of crown and pavilion angles. I.e. diamond will have noticeable light leakage.

The diamond can still be pretty but not an ideal cut.[/u]

new new

Rough_Rock
oh, from the depth and table size, you can guess the possible number of crown and pavilion?

I saw a GIA certified diamond with 59% depth and 63% table, no crown and pavilion information, what do you think the possible effect?

trichrome

Shiny_Rock
Leonid....

hmmmm...... I don't agree completely with you on this one....

a diamond with a 62% table and 61.2 TD doesnt mean necessarely that you'll get
lotsa of light leakage...

You can simply have a terrific diamond with such a table... a table this size
will make your diamond look around 10-15% bigger if not more... maybe you'll
end up with little less fire.......but I still remember the day when I was blinded by
a flash of light when examining the 63%Yable/61%TDepth diamond of my fiance....

and if you need to put your money elsewhere, a diamond like this will go up to 30-40% off Rap...
!!!!

Trichrome.

Richard Sherwood

Ideal_Rock
I'm afraid Leonid's got the advantage on you, TriChrome.

With the DiamCalc, you can enter all the figures except crown and pavilion angle, and then vary these two parameters to see how they affect light performance. If you decrease the crown angle, the pavilion angle increases accordingly, and vica-versa. It's a very direct relationship, because all the other parameters (total depth, table size, girdle thickness, culet size) "box in" the possibilities.

This way it's possible to see the range of light return performance dictated by this relationship between the crown and pavilion angle. Usually a pattern of positive or negative performances will emerge throughout the range tested.

Perhap's your fiancee's stone had a good crown/pavilion angle relationship.

tonysgeko

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Rich, what is the largest table % you've seen on a diamond? Did the diamond still look and perform good? Just curious.

Richard Sherwood

Ideal_Rock
The largest you usually encounter on a round are in the mid 70's range. They usually don't look so hot.

I've seen plenty in the low-to-mid-to-high 60's range that looked great.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yeah like mine!!
2.gif

The crown and pav angles are crucial in these larger tabled stones. If my crown was more steep, it would NOT have looked as good. I have played around with the angles in the HCA of my stone to see where things would start to change and make the more less desirable on the specs.

The larger the table (e.g. when you start to get into high 60s and low 70s), the less sparkle from the facets ...and more of the large table. The table is a large flat area regardless and acts kind of like a reflecting mirror at times. So do you want 75% of your stone to have a large flat area? What about the facets, those which actually create/enhance sparkle? Lower 60's can be okay, but its the higher ones that can be scary. I've seen a few pictures, it looks like a big flat thing on top with some facets on the sides. It throws a big circle of light, not myriad little sparkles. Not impressive!

digimond

Rough_Rock
what do you guys think of a 64% table and 60.9% depth..since it is GIA certified, I have no idea about the angles?

Is 64% table size too big?

Richard Sherwood

Ideal_Rock
Not necessarily, depending on your tastes, but those angles are critical for determining if it's a well-performing stone or not.

64% table is right at the tail-end of the AGA Cut Class "2B" for that particular characteristic. The 2B category is designated as "international fine trade cut".

You can view the AGA charts at:

http://www.gemappraisers.com/index.htm

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results