shape
carat
color
clarity

BF asked about rings!!

kellygold

Rough_Rock
It's lame to get so excited about every little step forward, but I can't help it! You girls are contagious!!! :)

Last night, we were talking about a friend of mine who just got back together with a boyfriend who won't propose to her. They've been together for 8 years and she moved to Chicago from Boston for him 2 years ago. He keeps saying he doesn't want to get married till he's 35 (they're 28 now). She broke it off for awhile, but now they're back together. Sigh.

ANYWAY. I was telling him about this and he said "I just think it's ridiculous to have a specific age of when you want to get married...it should be about who you're with and when you're ready, not the number." (Good answer!) Then, there was a long pause...and he said "speaking of which," followed by the seven words any girl wants to hear:

"What kind of ring do you want?"

:appl: :appl: :appl:

Funny enough, though, I declined from describing anything yet. First of all, we were already in bed for the night and it's not like I was going to whip out the computer to show him. He's clueless about this stuff and wouldn't understand without visuals. Also, I want to go shopping together and pick out both the stone and the setting WITH him, so it's probably better described when I can show him in person. Thirdly (and most importantly), we haven't talked about a budget yet, and I'd prefer to establish some basic financial guidelines before we get into the details of the ring. Don't want any surprises!

As we were drifting off, I reminded him that I want to contribute to the cost of the ring. His response: "I think two months of my salary will be fine. I can afford a Crackerjack box with that." Har har har.

amc80

Ideal_Rock
Congrats! Those are beautiful words :)

mogster

Shiny_Rock
How very exciting!!

MayFlowers

Brilliant_Rock
Yay!! Those are some of my favorite words, besides of course, "will you marry me?" ;-)

Have fun shopping!

kellygold

Rough_Rock
Thanks ladies! So excited to get started shopping!! :D

Ladybug1

Shiny_Rock
That is VERY exciting!

AdanaEsq

Shiny_Rock
Very exciting! I hope you get to continue the conversation and go shopping soon too.

centralsquare

Ideal_Rock
I think you're smart to take a slow approach with him...don't want to scare him off and you probably want to know where he stands before you start rattling off your criteria!

simikjean

Rough_Rock
Congrats!

kellygold

Rough_Rock
@centralsquare - Yeah, especially since I don't think he realizes how much research I've already done! No secrets or anything, but he may have been a little overwhelmed if I immediately blurted out "1.5-2 carat antique cushion, SI1 or better, H or better color, in a Harry Winston-inspired micrpave halo setting by Leon Mege or Steven Kirsch!" :D

I suggested last night that maybe we should separately do some research and get some ideas of how much things generally cost, and then when he feels like he has some footing, we can start talking about budget, then styles, then make appointments from there. Of course I'm super-excited, but there's really no rush at all when it comes down to it, and I want to make sure he feels involved and comfortable. THEN come the demands!! haha, jk

MissStepcut

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
kellygold|1311693230|2977063 said:
@centralsquare - Yeah, especially since I don't think he realizes how much research I've already done! No secrets or anything, but he may have been a little overwhelmed if I immediately blurted out "1.5-2 carat antique cushion, SI1 or better, H or better color, in a Harry Winston-inspired micrpave halo setting by Leon Mege or Steven Kirsch!" :D

I suggested last night that maybe we should separately do some research and get some ideas of how much things generally cost, and then when he feels like he has some footing, we can start talking about budget, then styles, then make appointments from there. Of course I'm super-excited, but there's really no rush at all when it comes down to it, and I want to make sure he feels involved and comfortable. THEN come the demands!! haha, jk
:shock: yup, an H VS1 antique cushion in a pricy hand fabricated setting is gonna cost more than the average person's 2 months' salary! I've heard of some women either providing the stone or offering to cover the setting themselves; might be a good way to give him ownership while bypassing (some of the) the sticker shock...

16ocean

Brilliant_Rock
What a perfect time to joinkellygold! Dust dust dust that your stay is short and sweet!

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
Congrats!!! So exciting :)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results