shape
carat
color
clarity

Beware, new worm...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

winyan

Brilliant_Rock
I had over 200 of these in my e-mail last nite! BEWARE!

win

Larry Seltzer: Security Update
Another Fake Microsoft Message Worm Hits
There have been several well-known worms that appeared as support messages from Microsoft, the most famous and successful of which was SoBig.B. They were all simple text messages though. The newest attack, known as Swen or Gibe, is much more professional looking. It is well-formatted, uses real graphics from Microsoft and has a lot of attention to detail.

It also has an executable attachment, which the message tries to pass off as a security patch. This is something Microsoft never does. If you ever get an executable attached to a message from a vendor you can take it as a strong sign that the message is not what it appears to be. The message was also not digitally signed, which all real security messages from Microsoft are supposed to be. Microsoft has violated this policy themselves on occasion, but it''s still a good reason to raise your suspicions.

Don''t be trusting of e-mail, it doesn''t pay.

Iceman

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks for the heads up. These people need jail time !

winyan

Brilliant_Rock
Even worse was an e-mail I got a couple of days ago, looking very official, saying my CC was going to be charged xxxxx dollars because I was guilty of ???criminal intent??? and they had to 'launder' the proceeds, then proceeded to ask for CC# and ex. date.

I whois'd their extended header, found out the e-mail (purported to be from UK) was actually a DSL user in Cali, and sent the whole shebang out to the ISP and the FBI.

Hopefully they'll get the malcreant.

win

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results