shape
carat
color
clarity

Best workout gear?

manderz

Brilliant_Rock
So, I'm working out again, for the first time in a while. I'm also a bit more comfortable, and willing to wear slightly more tight-fitting clothes. What's your go-to work out gear?

I'm sure it's a bit silly, but I'm LOVING the light jackets with thumb holes!

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ok, so sorry for being so anal with my answer. But this is just my experience.

Lululemon tops, usually the Power Y for high intensity interval training classes, lots of jumping and hitting the floor for burpies because these Power Ys are REALLY tight (I LOVE compression.) and do not ride up during class. I hate tops that ride up. Also, because Lululemon comes in sizes I can find ones that fit me exactly. I throw mine in hot wash and hot dry all the time. They do not show wear, and never lose the compression, get saggy or loose. Make sure you get 100% luon. The new ones are going back to 100% luon.

Bottoms - Tight, compressive running pants, that end right below the knee. I have a ton of Lucy pants that are actually for yoga, but again they are super thick, tight, easy to wash and dry, no maintenance, maintain compression after many uses. I think the compression actually supports my muscles.

For bikram yoga - Tonic bottoms, pants and shorts. Their bottoms are very flattering, and they allow you to bend and fold, and there is not too much squishing of the muffin top.

Outdoor running - I prefer looser long sleeve tops, if you can stand wearing long sleeves because you get more sun protection. If it's cold out, the jackets with the thumb holes are perfect. Depends on how much you heat up. I'm cold all the time so I wear mittens. But if you heat up quite a bit, the thumb hole jackets might be perfect for you. I actually wear mine more when I'm not working out as layering jackets.

Shoes - indoor classes, I wear asics. But shoes are really hard. You have to find the exact ones that fit your foot, narrow, wide, hard and flat, cushioned, supportive. For running, I wear Newtons. These are the most amazing running shoes. I won't go on and on, but these helped eliminate my knee and hip pains from running.

SOCKS - so important. I almost forgot. Even if none of the above work for you, I would suggest you invest in really good socks. I have been working out for years, but didn't discover really good socks until I started running. My favorite are "Feetures", which have the most wonderful compression through the mid-foot. They are great for every kind of workout. They just help stabilize and support the feet. They are customized for left and right feet. They can be a little more pricey ($15-$20/pair) but they are worth every penny. I wear them whenever I workout, running or otherwise. I get them for my kids so their little feet can feel supported too. And, if you poke a hole in them, you can replace them. Lifetime guarantee. You can find them in most running stores, or on amazon.

baby monster

Ideal_Rock
Premium
LLJsmom|1416975575|3790599 said:

Shoes - indoor classes, I wear asics. But shoes are really hard. You have to find the exact ones that fit your foot, narrow, wide, hard and flat, cushioned, supportive. For running, I wear Newtons. These are the most amazing running shoes. I won't go on and on, but these helped eliminate my knee and hip pains from running.
Thanks for the comprehensive list, LLJsmom. My workout stuff is very similar to yours. Question on the shoes. I'm a big Asics fan too so wear them for both classes and running. How do they compare to Newtons, especially the feel in the heels? And what about all the comments regarding getting used to these shoes?

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Depends on my activity. Swimming I usually buy TYR suits, but Speedo had a two piece that is very secure. I alternate.

My footwear is always Mizuno. I have three pair, and will be getting another with end of year sales. I broke my toe in Sept and had to wear runners daily--was SO glad my Mizuno's were there for me! I rotate color depending on what I am wearing :bigsmile:

For yoga--I buy items from a local kids dance shop. They always have sales racks and the items are lightweight and well made. I appreciate the security luluL provides but find there tops TOO tight for comfort.

Socks--again depends--but there is a smart wool product that I often wear.

When hiking or at the gym I often wear Champion products. I have long sleeved luluL or Spyder products for cooler days or Helly Hanson when cycling.

cheers--Sharon

Harpertoo

Brilliant_Rock
My go-to is Lululemon. I think their run swiftly tops are great - and l/s have thumb holes - which I really like too. And their running tights are a workhorse in my wardrobe - I even wear them them horseback riding occasionally when I don't have time to change. They hold up great and the side/leg pockets are perfect for i-pod, phone, key whatever.
I get a bit tired of Lulu since styles don't change a whole lot year to year and it's become a default uniform for the gym, but it works. I also like Sweaty Betty for some variety. Their all-in-one tanks are really nice and the fabrics are a bit more refined than Lulu's.

manderz

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks for all the great tips!! I love that nearly everything you guys like so much, I haven't even heard of before. I typically stick with adidas, with nike being my second, if I have to, choice. I also like my compression tights that end just below the knee, I love the way they make me feel. I'm off to do more shopping!! :)

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

SOCKS - so important. I almost forgot. Even if none of the above work for you, I would suggest you invest in really good socks. I have been working out for years, but didn't discover really good socks until I started running. My favorite are "Feetures", which have the most wonderful compression through the mid-foot. They are great for every kind of workout. They just help stabilize and support the feet. They are customized for left and right feet. They can be a little more pricey ($15-$20/pair) but they are worth every penny. I wear them whenever I workout, running or otherwise. I get them for my kids so their little feet can feel supported too. And, if you poke a hole in them, you can replace them. Lifetime guarantee. You can find them in most running stores, or on amazon.

Baby monster, so sorry if I get long winded here. When I started runnjng about 7 years ago, I was running shorter distances at easy paces. I loved gel asics because of the cushion. However I found that as I progressed, ran longer and harder, I kept experiencing different injuries, hip pain, some knee, then finally a mid foot injury that kept me out for 5 months. I had trained for two full marathons that I missed because of injuries. I saw a orthopedist that was also an iron man, so he understood. He suggested newtons and had been thinking about them anyway. I was willing to try anything. The problem had been my heel striking, which was causing most of the injuries and inefficiencies in my running.

So I tried them. They told me it would take 2-3 months to fully transition but I am not a patient person. It took about 3 weeks t fully transition. I was a bit sore on my shins.

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi sorry had to watch Big Hero 6. So after I after I transitioned to Newtons I got used to a mid foot strike and successfully trained and completed my first marathon, no injuries! And as of today I have run 6 full marathons with my newtons. The five lugs are really supportive the shoe maintains a zero drop so I land with much more stability. The gel in the asics made the interior of the shoe too cushioned, this too unstable. My foot had to keep adjusting inside the shoe to balance myself. With the lugs in the forefront of the exterior of the shoe, the Newtons give support upon foot strike without the instability inherent of the gel.

I love my Newtons. I will never wear another shoe. But I do know they are not for everyone.

Most running stores will let you try a shoe for a number of weeks and return them if they don't work for you. If you are in the Bay Area, go to A Runners Mind, one in SF and one in Burlingame. They are the best. Otherwise Road Runners carries Newtons. And they have a return policy like that. Good luck!! Tell me if you like them.

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
baby monster|1417012521|3790692 said:

Thanks for the comprehensive list, LLJsmom. My workout stuff is very similar to yours. Question on the shoes. I'm a big Asics fan too so wear them for both classes and running. How do they compare to Newtons, especially the feel in the heels? And what about all the comments regarding getting used to these shoes?

baby monster, I'm so lame. I didn't answer your question about the heel. The Newtons are designed to help you transition to mid/forefoot striking, so when you land on your heel, you will feel it. Thus you automatically start landing more on the front of your foot. If you kept landing on your heel, it would not be comfortable. So if you intend to continue to be a heel striker, the Newtons are not for you.

And again, about getting use to things, I just force it. I did not do it slowly. I just transitioned from zero Newton to all Newton. I was very conscious when I was running. But probably if you were conservative and patient, it would probably be better for you, or anyone transitioning.

Mayk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like Lulukemon the best. I stick to tops with wide straps for comfort and control. (I'm a little busty). I love all their bottoms I have running shorts, spin shorts (they only sold once...mine are getting old) and tights in every length (thigh, knee, shin, ankle). They also have great skirts for tennis or if you are looking for a more modest look.

Athleta is my second favorite and I buy most of my swim stuff from there. I also find myself loving their casual wear.

Love love love jackets and sweater with thumb wholes. My arms are long and this helps keep the sleeves down. :naughty:

manderz

Brilliant_Rock
Mayk|1417090211|3791173 said:
Athleta is my second favorite and I buy most of my swim stuff from there. I also find myself loving their casual wear.

Love love love jackets and sweater with thumb wholes. My arms are long and this helps keep the sleeves down. :naughty:

Thanks for the note about the swim wear. I love swimming! I'm also about ready for a new suit, as I'm almost not able to wear mine anymore, between losing weight and it getting s little stretched out.

Me, too on the thumb holes! I come from a family of tall women with long arms, so I'm double cursed in that area. I can almost never find long enough sleeves!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results