shape
carat
color
clarity

Best way to maintain the shine of a platinum setting?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

drunkentester

Rough_Rock
I just wondering what is the best way to maintain the shine and/or reduce the tarnish on platinum settings. I've read on other forums that platinum has a tendency of tarnishing quite rapidly.

Are there specific methods of cleaning or type of cleansers to use?

Thanks.

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
----------------
On 9/12/2002 6:58:21 AM

reaply Rhodium coating perhaps?
----------------

Leonid, again I am coming from an estate jewelry point of view, rodium plating can become quite nasty quickly - and your only choice is to replate. Maybe its me, but I like the subtle patina age brings to platinum or any metal for that matter....just my spin....Also, w/ designer vintage silver jewelry - if you buff or polish off the patina, the piece will be worth as much as 50% less on the market.

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
F&I, thanks. I'm not an expert - just guessing :)

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
----------------
On 9/12/2002 8:49:53 AM

F&I, thanks. I'm not an expert - just guessing :)
----------------

Me neither....lots of people prefer things to look brand new always. Rod. plating may be an option.

Derek

Rough_Rock
Platinum jewelery doesn't really tarnish all that much. Pure platinum does not tarnish (like pure gold). I would't be concerned about it. Those people who are saying that it does tarnish quickly probably don't have what they think they have (silver would be something that tarnishes quickly).
-D

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
I own a few peices of platinum jewelry and haven't noticed anything weird with the metals, they all look good to me.
Am I missing something?

Nicrez

Ideal_Rock
My platinum band I had from Tiffany's had a patina to it and required that I have them polish it. Silver was polished on premesis, white gold is sent out, and Platinum is polished for the end of the day or 24hrs. It came back whiter looking and shinier, and the patina came within less than a month.

Platinum HAS a patina, and to the discerning eye that doesn't like it, can be irritating. To the eye that doesn't notice, no problem.

There are different mixes for Platinum to retain it's shine and whiteness, sans the patina. I believe the usual patina-inducing mix is the standard Plat 95%, Ruthenium 5%, and the whiter one is Plat 95% 5% Irridium, And maybe even the patented Platinum S, and come others. I think Platinum Diamonds (a member here0 knows A LOT about Platinum...

PlatinumDiamonds are you around?
confused.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results