shape
carat
color
clarity

Best time to buy diamonds

imitcan

Shiny_Rock
Merry Christmas everyone. I don't often post, but I check-in regularly to see all the gorgeous bling. Pricescopers do not disappoint.
I'm considering buying myself a pair of bezel set diamond studs and I am open to buying online. Is there a best time of the year to buy diamond jewellery? I'm pretty sure I once read a post with information on this very question but my search came up dry. So, I'm being lazy and just asking again, sorry. I hosted Christmas yesterday and I'm pretty tired today. Thanks in advance for your help.

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'd say the best time to buy is when there isn't a holiday frenzy, such as Christmas Hanukkah New Years and the next one Valentine's Day and Mother's Day

AdaBeta27

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
PintoBean|1482769157|4109649 said:
I'd say the best time to buy is when there isn't a holiday frenzy, such as Christmas Hanukkah New Years and the next one Valentine's Day and Mother's Day

^ :lol: :lol: :lol:

I've done most of my buying in Sept - Oct from Pricescope vendors. From pawn shops and estate jewelers, and ebay, maybe July - Sept. or Oct. I think that's not just coincidence. The vendors are cherry picking stock to have ready for the holidays, and there is less competition from other buyers at that time of the year. It's not anniversary time for many, and all of the parents are socked with back-to-school expenses, so not only are they NOT buying. Some are selling to those pawn / estate dealers and selling back to vendors that have a buyback policy.

Lots of weddings in spring, like late April through June, in my region. Anniversary rings and/or upgrades happen then. The vendors will send traded-in or bought-from-consumer diamonds to the labs for re-grading before they put them out for sale. Sometimes some good stones turn up for sale then or a month later, due to upgraders.

imitcan

Shiny_Rock
Thank you AdaBeta27 and PintoBean. I'm just starting to research diamond studs, so I'm in no rush and I want to buy at the best time to maximize my budget.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The best time to buy diamonds is when you have tons of money. :D

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The best time is now while prices are relatively low. Vendors like Whiteflash (which has the best diamond selection for studs, in my opinion) price by the diamond market and do not mark up prices around holidays.

Desertrose

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Is the Tucson gem show a good place for diamonds, or more for colored stones?

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I actually just bought a diamond and diamond earrings, because of coupons from Pricescope vendors. It was enough to tempt me.

imitcan

Shiny_Rock
Do tell, or rather "show", part gypsy. Or did I miss a post in SMTB. And if you'd be so kind; how do I find these coupons and how does one redeem these coupons you speak of? Are they only available at certain times? I'd appreciate more info. Thank you.

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
What I did was sign up for some emailing lists, and one was mentioned here, so no, not just for prices scopers. One is a loose diamond from Brian Gavin, and the other is aare diamond studs from I'd jewelry. The I'd jewelry coupon might still be going on. I'll post something when I get them!

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If u go through them be sure to mention you want "prices cope quality" cut stones. 8-)

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I got the earrings today! Super speedy. I looked at them and they are very pretty; one has arrows the other has partial arrows both with good contrast/light return. I tried to take photo of them but I couldn't get anything that didn't look like white blobs. But I will enjoy wearing them! They are .50 tcw.

imitcan

Shiny_Rock
That's terrific part gypsy. Enjoy them, and do post photos when you can. And thanks in advance for posting information or coupons whenever it/ they come(s) available.

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I posted in the show me the bling forum. My photo taking is not good, but it does give an indication of size. My impression is they are 2-3 notches above mall jewelry quality, but not quite on ACA super-ideal level. You need to decide whether that level is important for earrings. Good luck shopping!

azstonie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Desertrose|1483120025|4110779 said:
Is the Tucson gem show a good place for diamonds, or more for colored stones?

I live near Tucson, been going to the shows for 18 years.

If you are trade, its good for both.

If you are not trade, just "public," you pay retail period the end. The 'advantage' is that you have an amazing selection to choose from rather than one or two stones of interest.

The best deals I've gotten at Tucson were in 2008 when the economy tanked and no one was buying anything---I bought side-stone diamonds for a project, a beautiful red Burma spinel, a ginormous star ruby, a tri-color tourm and some spinel melee.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results